Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Long term tractor storage

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    04-23-2016 @ 10:45 PM
    Thanks

Long term tractor storage

I need to store my tractor in an unheated barn for approximately three years. Does anyone have any long term storage recommendations for me?
    Phil Douglas

2007 BMW R1200RT
    2009 BMW R1200 GS ADV

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-01-2017 @ 06:28 AM
    Thanks
    Where is the tractor being stored? I am specifically interested in climate. How frequently will the tractor be exercised? Is the barn water tight or will the tractor be exposed to moisture? Answers to these questions will help you determine weatherization methods required.
    1023E with H120 FEL,54" Quick Hitch SB, 54D mower deck, and Kuhn EL-23 rototiller.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    06-17-2018 @ 11:18 AM
    Thanks
    bummer.....gotta leave it cooped up for about three years? hope you have a good place to put it. check with your local dealer, he will probably have instructions for long term storage....just a thought.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 10:29 AM
    Thanks
    man thats a long time!.. Just a couple of things I can think of.. I gotta believe that getting every bit of fuel out the system is going to be key (maybe not but one of the diesel experts on here should know).. I would imagine though, that 3 year old diesel in any amt can't be good unless completely sealed off from any air whatsoever.. Get rid of every paper filter to avoid mice.. Maybe loosen off the oil filter slightly so it doesn't rust and sieze (again related to the moisture levels it'll be exposed to).. Coat the rims and any metal surface close to the ground in valsoline or something to prevent corrosion (rims etc).. Get the tires off the ground slightly and get a good cover on it, making sure its a cover that can breath..
    tcass likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:37 PM
    Thanks
    It might make more sense to sell it. Is that an option?

If you could get someone to run it 20 minutes a month and its dry. You might not notice its been stored at all.
    Last edited by chex313; 03-28-2014 at 10:30 AM.
    Dave's 2012 1026R TLB,54"MMM Auto Attach,Ken's hooks&clevis,Artillian 36' Forks and a KennyPedal WH 520H 48" Snow Blade,48" Deck379 Peterbuilt (3 Million Miles in a big truck)

8. Top | #6
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:32 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,993 Times in 2,950 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chex313 View Post
    It might make more sense to sell it. Is that an option?

If you could get someone to run it 20 minutes a month and its dry. You might not notice its been stored at all.
    I thought the same thing.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:06 PM
    Thanks
    If you can't get someone to start it up every month, I would consider doing the following:
    1. Change all oil and oil filters - Engine oil and hydraulic. (As a minimum, I'd refill the engine oil, not sure whether refilling the hydraulic sump is needed.)
    2. Flush and replace antifreeze - I may consider draining, flushing and leaving the cooling system empty.
    3. Drain fuel tank - not sure about running it dry, but for 3 years, I would. (I hope some of our GTT diesel expert can help here.) I would at least empty the fuel bowl and put a new filter in.
    4. Grease up/apply some type of rust preventative on all the exposed hydraulic cylinder rods.
    5. Put the tractor up on blocks (get it off the tires).
    6. Remove all paper/fiber air filters and/or at least seal off the air intake to prevent a mice infestation.
    7. Remove battery.
    8. Seal off any breathers that you can.
    9. Cover tractor with a breathable cover.
    10. Put a sign on the steering wheel of what needs to be added (oil, antifreeze, battery, etc.) before starting.

After the 3 year holding period, I would again change the oil again, at least engine oil, and probably hydraulic too. You don't want moisture in either. Replacing the antifreeze again is probably overkill, but I would consider it too.

I'm no expert, but this is just my 2 cents.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    04-23-2016 @ 10:45 PM
    Thanks
    The 1026 TLB will be in an unconditioned metal shed, concrete floor, located in southern Indiana.

I am investigating all of my options, including selling the tractor. Currently it has approximately 54 fault free hours, with the 50 hour service performed by the dealer.

Thank you for the response.
    Phil Douglas

2007 BMW R1200RT
    2009 BMW R1200 GS ADV

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-09-2017 @ 02:55 PM
    Thanks
    Three years isn't that long, if you can keep it dry and keep the mice out it will be fine. The fuel won't go bad in three years, in fact I would top off the tank before storage. As the tank expands and contracts with temperature swings it draws air in, the moisture in the air condenses in the tank. Less air space in the tank means less moisture.

You would normally want to change the engine oil before long term storage because it becomes acidic from the the combustion process. If it's just had the 50 hr service you don't need to worry about that. There is no combustion in the hydraulic system so that is not a concern. There is no other reason to drain those fluids prior to storage, you will be far better protected by making sure they are full. When you put the machine back in service you may want to change those fluids to remove any condensed water. I wouldn't do anything with the coolant. You could do a simple ph test, but at 54 hours it's not likely gone acidic.

I'd remove the battery, either put it on a maintainer or store it where it won't freeze and crack. If you can keep it charged it won't freeze.
    2000 355D, 54C MMM
    2008 4120, 400CX FEL

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks
    I know that they use some kind of fogging chemical for boat engines. I think the fog coats the cylinder walls to keep them from rusting.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast