Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 1023/25/26 deck wash?..

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 06:37 PM
    Thanks

1023/25/26 deck wash?..

3 weeks and counting till my 1023 comes in so I figure, sure why not post another question?!.. Do you guys use the deck wash system?.. I assume the 54" and 60" decks have it do they not?.. Just seems wrong to force water in and around the spindles.. Rust or other corrosion issues.. Or is it no big deal?..

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:26 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    I never used it.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 06:37 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    I never used it.
    Nuff' said diesel.. I doubt I'll use it either.. Just askin'.. Seems gimmicky and I can't imagine how it could possibly do a good job.. Considering how easy the drive over deck is to remove. A scraper and 10 mins every two or three cuts seems like the only logical way to go.. Don't really understand why they even offer it..

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,505 Times in 1,614 Posts
    Nope don't use it, I did try it on someones , didn't seem to work so didn't even try it on the new 60" ... At the end of the season , try to remove the majority of grass if not all right then by scraping ,grinding disk or just soaking and washing the grass off. Over the months will clean it up down to bare metal or paint , remove blades before cleaning under side, sharpen them ,spray a primer then coat or two of paint, reattach the blades , deck back down remove all shields clean and wash the top ,grease all fittings ready to mow sometime in Feb or March at the latest. Then some time in April will put the deck back on ,ready for another year. Of course now with auto conn drive over will still do that ,make sure everything is good. Will take off for tilling gardens or all BH work and 99% of the time for fel work.
    Just my 2 cents
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks
    Mine didn't do anything. Just made green water... I use loader and wash it off. If you do it every time it's easy to get clean. If it dries it takes a powerwasher and some time.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    Early 2012 1026R with H120 and 60" auto connect MMM

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-30-2018 @ 08:15 PM
    Thanks
    I have used the Wash-out Port on my 54" auto-connect deck. As long as you do EVERY time you mow, it will do a decent (not perfect) job at keeping the bulk of the slimy green stuff building up. Having said that, it is not a substitute for some good old fashioned elbow grease. Every month or so I have removed my decks and used whatever tool best works for you (3" stiff putty knife for me) to get ALL the "junk" off. I will also occationally get out the power washer to get those hard to reach places, and put that finishing touch of "clean" under the deck. Just be careful, not to shoot any high pressure water in and around the spindles/bearings. I take these same opportunities for greasing spindles and sharpening blades as necessary.

If you get the FEL, that is your best friend combined with a 2" ratchet strap to lift the deck to expose bottom for cleaning. Sure saves the back!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Deck Cleaning.jpg  
    Last edited by thegriz; 03-29-2014 at 09:17 PM.
    etcallhome and Gizmo2 like this.
    JD 1025R - 2013
    - H120 FEL, 260 Backhoe, 54D MMM with AutoConnect/Hydraulic Lift, Standard JD Ballast Box...450lbs sand+box=579lbs, psrumors's custom seat springs
    - DBS fixed!

Wheel Horse 520xi - 2001
    - 44" Deck, 48" Dozer/Plow Blade, Wheel Weights, VacBagger System

Wheel Horse 14HP "No Name" - 1973
    - Finished "frame off" restoration 2013 (3 yr project)
    - 42" Deck, 48" Plow Blade (sold), 36" RotoTiller (sold)

I'm so confused, "GREEN" versus "RED"

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    I've always used water from a hose, correctly directed under the deck with a garden nozzle. Never a "wash port". Since 1954 I have not rusted a deck nor ruined a spindle. I don't aim the water right on the spindle and I know that the rotation of a deck running 1/2 throttle will use the physics of centrugal force to toss the water off the slinger ring under the spindle. Exactly the same thing happens when you just have to mow that 6" high grass just after the rain stops. DO NOT spray water on the hot deck belt (or so they say). I may have broken that rule several times inadvertantly though.

Cleaning results will depend on the varied buildup of grass being mowed, the moisture in the grass (juice) and to a great extent, the physics of the air action under the particular deck. I do know that most wash ports introduce the water far from the point it will do the most good. When you look under your deck for the first time after use you will see where the "dead spots" are and the grass collects in pockets. I like a garden "watering wand" + tight stream nozzle to aim the water up around the rim and into the ends of the blades. (WARNING: You MAY lose a nozzle IF you contact the spinning blades!)

Hose wash, scrape, power wash, steel wool, wire brush, but don't put the deck away UNCLEANED down to the paint in a damp area for the off season. And don't forget regular spindle greasing (Don't ask me how much grease, it's a John Deere/NSA trade secret and blacked out of all deck manuals and this forum!)
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    06-18-2016 @ 01:13 PM
    Thanks
    I've never had one on any mower deck. I asked the dealer about the one my 1025r and he said, if I'm going to use it, do it every time, if not then don't use it at all. I still have no idea if they work or not didn't even realize it was there when I first checked out the tractor. Undecided still if i'lll use it or not. If so definitely not till it cools off first, hot bearings and cold water is not a good mix.

11. Top | #9
    bob
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:53 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thegriz View Post
    I have used the Wash-out Port on my 54" auto-connect deck. As long as you do EVERY time you mow, it will do a decent (not perfect) job at keeping the bulk of the slimy green stuff building up. Having said that, it is not a substitute for some good old fashioned elbow grease. Every month or so I have removed my decks and used whatever tool best works for you (3" stiff putty knife for me) to get ALL the "junk" off. I will also occationally get out the power washer to get those hard to reach places, and put that finishing touch of "clean" under the deck. Just be careful, not to shoot any high pressure water in and around the spindles/bearings. I take these same opportunities for greasing spindles and sharpening blades as necessary.

If you get the FEL, that is your best friend combined with a 2" ratchet strap to lift the deck to expose bottom for cleaning. Sure saves the back!
    In your picture, did you add that piece of steel on your mower deck? I'm referring to the upper right side as it appears in the picture.
    2011 John Deere 1026R
    H120 FEL with 53 inch bucket
    60D Auto-Connect mower deck
    54 inch snowblower
    647 tiller
    i-match
    Heavy Hitch
    TuffTop
    Ken's bolt on hooks
    ballast box
    wheel weights
    steering wheel spinner knob

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-30-2018 @ 08:15 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    In your picture, did you add that piece of steel on your mower deck? I'm referring to the upper right side as it appears in the picture.
    Nope...came equipped that way.
    JD 1025R - 2013
    - H120 FEL, 260 Backhoe, 54D MMM with AutoConnect/Hydraulic Lift, Standard JD Ballast Box...450lbs sand+box=579lbs, psrumors's custom seat springs
    - DBS fixed!

Wheel Horse 520xi - 2001
    - 44" Deck, 48" Dozer/Plow Blade, Wheel Weights, VacBagger System

Wheel Horse 14HP "No Name" - 1973
    - Finished "frame off" restoration 2013 (3 yr project)
    - 42" Deck, 48" Plow Blade (sold), 36" RotoTiller (sold)

I'm so confused, "GREEN" versus "RED"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to thegriz For This Useful Post:

bob (03-30-2014)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast