Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Sta-Bil for Gasoline in the Diesel Fuel

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-05-2014 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks

Sta-Bil for Gasoline in the Diesel Fuel

Ok, I messed up. Last fall, when putting away all the gasoline engines, I also added Sta-Bil (for gasoline) to the tank on my 1026R. Found out over the winter there is a Sta-Bil for Diesel Fuel... my bad for not knowing. So, now what do I do this spring, when I start putting the 1026R to work in the garden? Drain the diesel fuel off the 1026R? Or, with only 2-ounces added, into the tank, does it matter?
    Last edited by mustangary; 04-04-2014 at 06:10 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:21 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,081 Times in 2,547 Posts
    It won't matter IMHO.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with Kenny that it probably will not matter, but if it were me, I would double treat that tank with a good diesel additive. Just for insurance and to feel better.

Sent from a hunting blind or farm field near you.

sterling40man likes this.
    Brian

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    HydroDevil'sAdvocate here, might not having 3 times the amount of chemicals mixing in that fuel become more of a problem due to possible chemical "interaction" between 2 different treatments? If it were mine and it had that amount of Stabil in the full tank I'd just run it adding fresh properly treated diesel to it at gallon or so intervals 3 times and then run the tank almost dry. Refuel normally with treated diesel from there.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    12-24-2016 @ 10:23 PM
    Thanks
    Just run it.

The MIL put a whole dadgum bottle of stabil in the tank of a Ford 1920 every fall, for several years...thinking she was doing the right thing.
    (One of the reasons grannys tractor got moved to the other barn)
    Never noticed anything amiss all winter or in the spring.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:55 AM
    Thanks
    Don't worry about it, I've never found the diesel version of Stabil near me, so I use the gas version.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroHarold View Post
    HydroDevil'sAdvocate here, might not having 3 times the amount of chemicals mixing in that fuel become more of a problem due to possible chemical "interaction" between 2 different treatments? If it were mine and it had that amount of Stabil in the full tank I'd just run it adding fresh properly treated diesel to it at gallon or so intervals 3 times and then run the tank almost dry. Refuel normally with treated diesel from there.
    Just for fun, let me do the same to you.. :empathy3:

The chemicals in a diesel additive are meant to do a few things. Today, most additives are a demulsifier, meaning they force any water in the fuel to the bottom of the tank or filter. Is stabil for gas an emulsifier or demulsifier? If it is an emulsifier, that means it will pick up the water and run the water through your fuel system. That is not good for our injectors and can also cause certain parts of your fuel system to rust.

Lets not talk about the lubricity as we know it does not add any. It also probably adds an octane booster to the fuel, not needed, but what does that do in diesel?

Due tot he fact that its in a low pressure system, I do not feel it will harm the injection system or the engine, but I do feel strongly that a good demulsifier should be added to drop the water that is probably been picked up and emulsified by the stabil. In this case, better safe than sorry since our tractors sit a lot and a rust fuel system can only cause us problems.

The added chemicals of an additive will not harm the system, but help to protect it. Diesel and gas are hauled in the same tankers and it gets cross contaminated all the time. Many additives take this info and work to help protect against a small percentage of gasoline in diesels. Stabil's MSDS sheet says its 0 to 95% petroleum distillate and 0 to 5% additive. First, that's funny. Petroleum distillate could be a lot of things, including forms of diesel. But IMHO, insurance in your fuel is a good thing. Along with the fact that it sat all winter and could have collected condensation.

mjncad likes this.
    Brian

10. Top | #8
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:26 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 2,948 Posts
    I'm with the, run it group.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    06-17-2018 @ 11:18 AM
    Thanks
    .............yup, me too....get on that puppy and turn the key....work that dirty girl.....it will be fine.
    Dingeryote likes this.
    1026R FEL and Box Blade

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Just for fun, let me do the same to you.. :empathy3:

Is stabil for gas an emulsifier or demulsifier? .
    Duh... you tell me, here's Gold Eagle's (Stabil) MSDS.
    http://www.goldeagle.com.au/pdf/msds_stabil-fuel.pdf

I'll just go take a quantum physic and wait for the analsis.

(In the mean time "Let's just run that sucker, and tell us if you hear anything banging or see anything fly out of it! Heck, it ain't mine!)
    mjncad likes this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast