Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: 260 Backhoe (1025r) First Impressions

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-24-2017 @ 01:59 PM
    Thanks

260 Backhoe (1025r) First Impressions

Got my new 1025r TLB last week and had to go out and dig over the weekend.
    It will definitely take practice, but the 12" bucket tore through the ground without any problems. The ground is good Virginia soil on top of some clay. It had rained a bunch all week which probably helped as well.
    Prior to purchase, I watched a several videos and it seemed that the 260 struggled a bit when digging, so I also bought the 8" scoop. Now I'm thinking that the 16" bucket is on the wish list.
    A great tip I read somewhere was to lower the RPMs. That helped me be in better control. Dealer said if I did that, I had to watch the engine temperature.

I had no problems with the hydraulic hose under foot. It has enough play so that it now rests out of the way. I may get a bungee to hold it firmly.

I really like the size of the backhoe - could probably dig faster with something bigger but it fits perfectly in my garage and under the deck where the digging-for-the-patio will occur.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:38 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,997 Times in 2,954 Posts
    Really..........no pictures?
    sterling40man likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    11-24-2017 @ 01:59 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Really..........no pictures?
    You're right - here's one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails backhoe.png  

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:38 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,997 Times in 2,954 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buckb View Post
    You're right - here's one.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    02-26-2017 @ 06:54 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buckb View Post

I had no problems with the hydraulic hose under foot. It has enough play so that it now rests out of the way. I may get a bungee to hold it firmly.
    T

If you can weld try a hydraulic hose block, they might even have them in bolt on form.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnDeereYooper For This Useful Post:

buckb (04-07-2014)

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    06-18-2016 @ 01:13 PM
    Thanks
    I was going to post a similar thread. I'm glad I found yours instead.
    I've been told by some that these small hoes are only marginally better than a pick and shovel. I've also read on this forum about guys that could not lift the back end of the tractor with the 260 hoe. Now, I'm nervous about this hoe purchase.
    My first impression was, UH OH, maybe they were right and I now own a very expensive pick and shovel/counterweight. Not wanting to believe that's all this thing was ,fast forward a few hours.
    My latest impression after maybe 5-6 hrs. is Woo Hoo! you naysayers go ahead and shovel I'm using this bad boy right here. The first few minutes maybe an hour it took me to start to figure out how to make this puppy work.(I've never operated a back hoe in my life). I tried to lift rear of machine too as I wanted to see if it would, not well but in certain positions ya. maybe.
    After spending the weekend playing/learning, oh and digging a dry well /French drain 5 feet deep and removing 8 tree stumps I can tell you, not only will it lift the rear of tractor and place it about anywhere you want or have the nerve and expertise to place it. It will also pull the front loader and front wheels off the ground if you pull to hard on a big ole root that won't let go. After all the negatives I've heard about these this particular situation surprised,impressed and spooked me.
    Rear of tractor was uphill, fairly steep and on one particular stump, pulling its roots, more than once the whole front of tractor came off the ground. Stabilizers were down but I do not lift the tractor off the ground with them.
    Hydro hose did not bother me at all. It easy to slip on the lip around the footrest area when getting on or off though.
    Aside from that, a little practice and this thing beats the snot out of any shovel I've ever owned. And just so no one growls at me a few pics of my learning curve. Still learning and can only think it'll get better the more I use it. Ground is decent here as well , suspect large rocks could be troublesome but they are for everything I think
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06619.JPG   DSC06594.JPG   DSC06611.jpg   DSC06605.jpg   DSC06606.jpg  

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to potential For This Useful Post:

buckb (04-07-2014), rsw686 (07-06-2016), Skyboss1952 (04-08-2014)

11. Top | #7
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:26 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by potential View Post
    I was going to post a similar thread. I'm glad I found yours instead.
    I've been told by some that these small hoes are only marginally better than a pick and shovel. I've also read on this forum about guys that could not lift the back end of the tractor with the 260 hoe. Now, I'm nervous about this hoe purchase.
    My first impression was, UH OH, maybe they were right and I now own a very expensive pick and shovel/counterweight. Not wanting to believe that's all this thing was ,fast forward a few hours.
    My latest impression after maybe 5-6 hrs. is Woo Hoo! you naysayers go ahead and shovel I'm using this bad boy right here. The first few minutes maybe an hour it took me to start to figure out how to make this puppy work.(I've never operated a back hoe in my life). I tried to lift rear of machine too as I wanted to see if it would, not well but in certain positions ya. maybe.
    After spending the weekend playing/learning, oh and digging a dry well /French drain 5 feet deep and removing 8 tree stumps I can tell you, not only will it lift the rear of tractor and place it about anywhere you want or have the nerve and expertise to place it. It will also pull the front loader and front wheels off the ground if you pull to hard on a big ole root that won't let go. After all the negatives I've heard about these this particular situation surprised,impressed and spooked me.
    Rear of tractor was uphill, fairly steep and on one particular stump, pulling its roots, more than once the whole front of tractor came off the ground. Stabilizers were down but I do not lift the tractor off the ground with them.
    Hydro hose did not bother me at all. It easy to slip on the lip around the footrest area when getting on or off though.
    Aside from that, a little practice and this thing beats the snot out of any shovel I've ever owned. And just so no one growls at me a few pics of my learning curve. Still learning and can only think it'll get better the more I use it. Ground is decent here as well , suspect large rocks could be troublesome but they are for everything I think
    Great pics!

One question.....Why don't you plug the hydraulic caps/plugs together to prevent them from getting dirty?
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Dieselshadow is my Hero.

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    good question.
    Answer is cuz I'm a newb and didn't think of that. Thanks, I will now. Don't really like them just dangling around out there anyway.
    Gizmo2, sterling40man and felixm22 like this.

13. Top | #9
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:26 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by potential View Post
    good question.
    Answer is cuz I'm a newb and didn't think of that. Thanks, I will now. Don't really like them just dangling around out there anyway.
    No worries here man. We all started somewhere and here at GTT, we're all glad to help out when we can.
    sterling40man likes this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Dieselshadow is my Hero.

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Wish I knew how to put your quotes on here, Any way I appreciate the tips. I've learned a lot on here already and really enjoy and appreciate it . I will return the favor as best I can when I can.
    DFlynn likes this.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast