• 2 Post By Matt T
  • 3 Post By Myasis Dragon

Thread: PowerGard ?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-29-2019 @ 10:57 AM
    Thanks

Question PowerGard ?

Just got a letter from my dealer letting me know that my 1 year anniversary of the purchase of my 1025R (66.7 hours on it) is coming up. Along with that was the PowerGard Protection Plan proposal.
    Option 1: Limited coverage(Engine & Powertrain) 60 months; 2000 hours; Deductible:$100 COST:$866
    Option 2: Comprehensive (Full Machine) 60 months; 1500 hours; Deductible:$100 COST:$1425

Now, what is every ones thoughts on this? I have had the SCV replaced already under warranty. I have no PTO attachments or MMM. Plan on getting a tiller and MMM next year.
    I'm thinking real hard on getting the Comprehensive.
    2013 JD 1025R w/ H120 loader and 260 BH (w/ 12" and 16" bucket). Piranha Tooth Bar. Frontier BB2048. Frontier RB2060. IMatch. Horst 48" Forks. Kens Bolt-on hooks and Shackle/Clevis Mounts.

The hauler: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport.
    Canadian UT 718-10K trailer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    04-14-2014 @ 06:34 PM
    Thanks
    Read some of the other post bout 1026r issues .if that's all the issue you have had then maybe save your money to go on repairs . I have more issues , still do , I work at john Deere and think that 1500 dollars will go along way if I just paid out of pocket .6 years down the road before a issue might show up again and where's the warranty then . Just my opinion !
    HydroHarold and Haze like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-21-2019 @ 06:48 PM
    Thanks

Don't do it...

My opinion? Don't do it! What usually happens is you find out after the fact that they don't cover this or that - the things that are most likely to happen. And if they do cover an item, they'll only pay a certain amount for labor (say, $57.00 per hr when your shop charges $75.00 per hr), or they won't pay shop supplies, taxes, diagnosis or for fluids, leaving you stuck paying the remainder PLUS your deductible. They may also "price shop" parts, telling the repairing dealer they'll only pay so much for a part because they found it at Bullpuckytractorparts.com for a fraction of the cost. Never mind whose paying for shipping that low-quality part that you'd never be able to get warranteed WHEN it doesn't perform as expected. Aftermarket warranties make a bundle of money for the warranty company and the selling dealer. That's why they push them so hard. Again, my opinion is "don't do it"!

As an auto repair shop owner (callnorthside.com), I see this on a weekly basis. It consume hours of my time on hold with these unscrupulous warranty companies and, unfortunately, I'm the one left to tell the customer his hard earned dollars have been hijacked.

HydroHarold, Haze and buckb like this.
    Just call me Jon, not Myasis Dragon (Hint: My a** is draggin') 2013 1025r FILB (Factory installed loader & Backhoe - 260 & H120), 60D mower w/electric over hydraulic (independent) lift, R4 tires, psrumor's seat springs, Kenny D's bolt-on hooks, bxpanded piranha tooth bar on a 49" bucket and a 61" bucket for snow and light material, County Line post hole digger, County Line landscape rake, counterfeit JD box scraper, homemade 4' x 8' farm wagon, Fimco 30 gallon 3ph sprayer.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    11-24-2017 @ 01:59 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    Just got a letter from my dealer letting me know that my 1 year anniversary of the purchase of my 1025R (66.7 hours on it) is coming up. Along with that was the PowerGard Protection Plan proposal.
    Option 1: Limited coverage(Engine & Powertrain) 60 months; 2000 hours; Deductible:$100 COST:$866
    Option 2: Comprehensive (Full Machine) 60 months; 1500 hours; Deductible:$100 COST:$1425

Now, what is every ones thoughts on this? I have had the SCV replaced already under warranty. I have no PTO attachments or MMM. Plan on getting a tiller and MMM next year.
    I'm thinking real hard on getting the Comprehensive.
    Here are some thoughts:
    In your first year (arguably when most people find every reason to get on a tractor and play), you "only" spent 67 hours. In 5 years, you'll be somewhere around 300 hours. Though if you do get a tiller and MMM then that'd go up considerably.
    Your agreement will likely mean you "have" to have the dealer do the annual maintenance (rather than doing it yourself). Figure that into your costs. At a minimum, you'll have to log your maintenance.
    And just my own observation - there's a guy a couple miles from me that has a $10m place with a pool house larger than my home. He made his money by selling these type of product warrantees.
    I know I avoid them - not necessarily because they're a bad deal but because when I have bought them, I've treated the gear like a rental car. It's like going to an all-you-can-eat place and just eating a salad - I can't do that.

And like all things, I suspect the price of these plans is negotiable.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks
    A deductible on warranty coverage is a joke. Extended or not. Snake oil or a bridge purchase would be less insane.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    03-27-2016 @ 07:54 AM
    Thanks
    First, decide if you could pay out of pocket for an unexpected/untimely major repair on your whatever. If you can, then roll the dice and avoid the warranty.
    the folks selling the warranty are gamblers and they have decided how little the average extended warranty purchaser is going to cost them in order to make a fortune. Yes, if you buy the coverage and need it, then it was a great deal. I don't buy them under any conditions.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-29-2019 @ 10:57 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for their input on this.
    2013 JD 1025R w/ H120 loader and 260 BH (w/ 12" and 16" bucket). Piranha Tooth Bar. Frontier BB2048. Frontier RB2060. IMatch. Horst 48" Forks. Kens Bolt-on hooks and Shackle/Clevis Mounts.

The hauler: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport.
    Canadian UT 718-10K trailer.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements