Like Tree28Likes

Thread: 1026r pre fuel pump filter location swap

1. Top | #1
    trk

Last Online
    08-18-2018 @ 07:01 PM
    Thanks

1026r pre fuel pump filter location swap

the 4 dollar pre fuel pump filter pariffined up early this winter - and what a B!TCH to change in the cold

I decided to move the filter into the engine compartment by swaping the hoses from the fuel tank to the fuel pump - ie total cost NOTHING

move the short hose by the tank to the fuel pump inlet and the fuel pump inlet hose to the fuel tank and install the fuel filter in the correct orientation

now I can clamp the fuel lines and swap the filter and only need to remove the engine side panel - no more draining a fuel tank, my lying on my back and working in an area too small for my hands

I moved this question form the floppy bucket thread

Quote Originally Posted by HydroHarold View Post
    I've got a question on moving that PIA in-line filter from it's original location. Last time I was rolling around under there with the same idea in mind, I began to wonder what any water in the line will do without the filter there.

That filter location is the lowest spot on the fuel line. (Probably why JD's got it there?) Without the extra containment volume of the filter I see water laying right along there in the line and clogging the fuel line much sooner when it does freeze. Far less water amount and far less operating hours between freeze ups/change outs it "looks to me".

Although it's a perfect place for a filter and especially a water draining filter, it's a bad spot for either to be mounted. But it's the only place on the line to put a water collector. Looks like anything bigger or fancier under would be left hung up on obstacle... I had an old fashioned glass bowl/shutoff in mind for there... But I won't.
    I swapped it after our first storm this year(Albany NY) - filter paraffined up after cleaning the drive way - finished the rest of the winter without an issue - I think this filters main purpose is to filter gunk headed for the fuel pump located on the engine firewall not so much as a water separator like the main unit on the passenger side of the tractor

this has been working for me but lets here from the experts.
    Last edited by trk; 04-08-2014 at 08:38 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    I'm still interested in this one so I'm re-asking in the new thread...

I've got a question on moving that PIA in-line filter from it's original location. Last time I was rolling around under there with the same idea in mind, I began to wonder what any water in the line will do without the filter there.

That filter location is the lowest spot on the fuel line. (Probably why JD's got it there?) Without the extra containment volume of the filter I see water laying right along there in the line and clogging the fuel line much sooner when it does freeze. Far less water amount and far less operating hours between freeze ups/change outs it "looks to me".

Although it's a perfect place for a filter and especially a water draining filter, it's a bad spot for either to be mounted. But it's the only place on the line to put a water collector. Looks like anything bigger or fancier under would be left hung up on obstacle... I had an old fashioned glass bowl/shutoff in mind for there... But I won't.
    etcallhome likes this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,607 Posts

I'm thinking of getting a lawnmower shutoff valve to put between tank and the pia filter.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    trk

Last Online
    08-18-2018 @ 07:01 PM
    Thanks

I didn't have any issues thru Jan and feb this year near Albany NY with water freezing - I don't believe this filter is a water catcher - it just protects the electric pump - which then passes the fuel to the traditional fuel filer with glass bowl - the others here should be able to confirm that the big filter separates water before the injection pump

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 05:04 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a lawnmower shutoff valve to put between tank and the pia filter.
    I'm thinking of some type of shutoff valve myself. It would help with future filter changes.
    etcallhome likes this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    10-04-2016 @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks
    This job is on my radar today. Any further updates or reasons not to do the swap?
    John Deere 1025R w/ I-match - H120 Loader, 260 Backhoe with BxPanded dolly, 48" Frontier tiller, 48" frontier brush hog, 54" JD snow plow, Artillian - Frame, Forks and Diverter Valve with Snow plow attachment, Squeege and Wings. BXpanded Piranah Tooth Bar,

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trk View Post
    the 4 dollar pre fuel pump filter pariffined up early this winter - and what a B!TCH to change in the cold

I decided to move the filter into the engine compartment by swaping the hoses from the fuel tank to the fuel pump - ie total cost NOTHING

move the short hose by the tank to the fuel pump inlet and the fuel pump inlet hose to the fuel tank and install the fuel filter in the correct orientation

now I can clamp the fuel lines and swap the filter and only need to remove the engine side panel - no more draining a fuel tank, my lying on my back and working in an area too small for my hands

I moved this question form the floppy bucket thread

I swapped it after our first storm this year(Albany NY) - filter paraffined up after cleaning the drive way - finished the rest of the winter without an issue - I think this filters main purpose is to filter gunk headed for the fuel pump located on the engine firewall not so much as a water separator like the main unit on the passenger side of the tractor

this has been working for me but lets here from the experts.
    Need to know about this before winter sets in. Anybody know why this wouldn't work?

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    10-09-2019 @ 06:50 PM
    Thanks
    Just a comment and a question... If adding an in-line shutoff, I think a properly sized valve would need to be put in place or fuel flow restriction would most likely occur. With that said, has anyone sourced a shut-off the will work in the line? Something that is high quality?
    John Deere 1026R (MY 2012) Purchased April 2013
    H120 FEL with 49" bucket, Ken's 5/16" Bolt on Hooks & BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar
    60D (7-iron) Autoconnect MMM
    JD 3-Bag MCS w/Honda GC160 Power "Pak"
    260 BH with 12" bucket
    Artillian 42"x3" Forks w/2" Receiver
    48" EA XTreme Duty Box Blade
    36" EA Independent Wheel Lawn Aerator w/Alternating Depth Tines
    52" Ratchet Rake
    iMatch QH

2003 John Deere LX266
    42" Freedom Mulching Deck
    Larger LX model wheels/tires

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 08:47 AM
    Thanks

Fuel pre-filter relocation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181017_160711105.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	653348

I'm 63+ laying on the cold ground during the winter trying to change that pre-filter while diesel fuel drips on me is NOT my idea of a good time!
    I relocated mine as described by others before me & took pictures to prove it. No issues & made it very easy to change now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20181017_160742727.jpg  
    etcallhome, Tomfive, Levi and 5 others like this.
    1026R FEL
    60" back blade
    48" rake
    48" box blade
    ballast box
    boom pole
    SB1148 snow blower

RCR 1548 3 point brush mower
    Husqvarna 46" tractor mower
    Bobcat 2300 UTV with Rapid Link
    Land Plane LP1160

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Duke Snyder For This Useful Post:

SulleyBear (10-18-2018)

13. Top | #10
    Jep

Last Online
    Today @ 10:25 AM
    Thanks
    Oh this is just great, I just changed my lower filter, yesterday . I totally agree with you . The filter placement seems like a afterthought by JD. This job reminds me of the monkey and the football. I really like diesel running down my sleeve or laying in the 3” spill. There is just no way to make this easy. Until now. I will do this with a valve on each side of the filter before the next change is do.Thank you for sharing. The story of my life , a day late and a dollar short...
    1025R TLB 54D MM, Imatch Quick hitch, BB, Ken's bolt on hooks, Piranha Tooth Bar, 36" Artillian forks, Cyclone rake XL, 54" Snowblower, 54"used blade, Edge Tamer and Extender, Heavy Hitch Subsoiler. Trailers: Sure-Trac 5x8 dump and a 7x16 steel side., 647 tiller, 5048 Box blade, heavy hitch tooth bar, 260B hoe, mulch kit

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast