• 1 Post By dieselshadow
  • 1 Post By jgayman

Thread: 1025R safe towing weight

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-20-2019 @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks

1025R safe towing weight

I'm curious if others have any idea what a safe towing capacity is from the 1025R drawbar? I know this may be highly dependent upon conditions and grade but I'm interested in knowing what others may have hauled/towed and how the machine handled.

The reason behind my question is that I'm looking at rollers. I've previously used a 4 foot wide roller that weighed 900lbs when loaded with an atv. I used this with the 1025R and it is clear that it is more than capable. I've been considering replacing my unit and a reputable local welder builds them in several sizes. I would like something wider to cover the footprint of the tractor while turning. They offer a 6 foot model but the listed weight when loaded is 2,700 lbs. To me that seems like it would have a tendancy to push around the rear end of a 1025R. Especially given that my area does have some grade to it.

Please excuse me if this has been addressed before, I tried a search and came up empty, and didn't find my answer in the manual.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:28 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,306 Times in 2,589 Posts
    According to the Owner's Manual, you shouldn't tow more than 1.5 times the weight of the tractor.

Specs say the 1026R weighs 1444lbs. 1444 x 1.5 = 2166lbs. That should be pretty close to what you can safely handle. Mind you, that doesn't take into account hills. You need to be able to safely stop your towed load.
    etcallhome likes this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    08-20-2019 @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks
    dieselshadow-

Thank you

I had looked through the manual but had missed that. I knew there had to be something printed in that regard. I'm hoping I can find something around 5 foot. That seems to me like it would be the sweet spot and well sized for the machine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 1,236 Posts
    a 5-foot roller should work fine. I tow my 920 lb roller around with my JD X500. I used to even drag it around with my old 175 Hydro. You can tell it's back there on the X500 but it doesn't complain. But with the X500 if I go down a decent grade and then try to turn sharp the roller will push the back of the tractor sideways a few inches. It gives the feeling of four wheel steering. :-)

Now, when things are a bit slippy or for steep hills I hook it to the 2720. The 2720 doesn't even know that 920 lb roller is back there. I have a drawbar that latches into the quick hitch. Forwards, backwards, it doesn't care. Heck, I think it would drag it sideways even.
    Gizmo2 likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,979 Times in 2,938 Posts
    As stated and I will state again, stopping is a BIGGER concern. These tractors will pull a lot more than they can stop.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements