• 2 Post By Troutsniffer
  • 7 Post By Scotty370

Thread: back hoe trenching?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-18-2016 @ 01:13 PM
    Thanks

back hoe trenching?

Ok , maybe silly question to some of you but here goes.
    I've recently been learning to operate my tractor and more specifically the 260 back hoe. My question is, When digging trench say between 2 buildings, how do you straddle/get across the trench at the end? Do I need to turn around and meet somewhere in between and then "lift" the tractor over the ditch with the hoe?. Do I just get as close as I can digging "swung over " at the between point??
    I thought about this as I started digging thinking it would come to me. At one point I got off and stood there apparently talking to myself and my wife says "what are you doing" so I said," I am wondering, how do you suppose when I get to the end that I get the tractor back across the ditch?"
    She made some sound effect and looked at me funny. I thought it was a good question and one I should have an answer to before I get there.
    Looking forward to your feed back on this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-21-2019 @ 06:48 PM
    Thanks
    I'd probably dig from the side when it came time. But because you can't dig a straight line sitting sideways, your trench will look a little sloppy in that area. A couple of well placed 2 x 12's would get you out of a pinch and using the hoe to lift you over would require practice before you attempt it. I've been practicing loading and unloading from the trailer without ramps. I'll post a video when I get better at it.
    Just call me Jon, not Myasis Dragon (Hint: My a** is draggin') 2013 1025r FILB (Factory installed loader & Backhoe - 260 & H120), 60D mower w/electric over hydraulic (independent) lift, R4 tires, psrumor's seat springs, Kenny D's bolt-on hooks, bxpanded piranha tooth bar on a 49" bucket and a 61" bucket for snow and light material, County Line post hole digger, County Line landscape rake, counterfeit JD box scraper, homemade 4' x 8' farm wagon, Fimco 30 gallon 3ph sprayer.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    05-03-2019 @ 02:38 PM
    Thanks
    I'd really recommend the book "Operating techniques for the tractor loader backhoe", which has literally everything you might want to know about using a TLB (even a really small one). The answer for a larger unit is a combination of setting the bucket down spanning over the trench at an angle and then crabbing the rear end over the trench using the hoe. Unfortunately, with such a small unit both rear tires wind up very near the sides of the trench (not safe), and the bucket is only supported by (assuming a perfect trench) about 1.5 ft on either side. You _really_ want to imagine dirt closer to the hole than a 45deg slope as being unstable, so unless your digging a 1ft trench this maneuver is dangerous for a small tractor. I've done it by using several 2x12s as suggested above to spread out the load, and adding a couple more meant I didn't have to crab at all... I just covered a nice wide area and drove on it. But that's a fair amount of wood and so I usually go at it another way.

The way I usually wind up finishing is in the center (dug both ends going towards a spot in the middle), backed in (at a light angle) enough so that the backhoe pivot pin is hanging over the center of the trench. The slight angle is needed because the 260BH doesn't quite swing 90 degrees to either side so you need to come in at 75deg or so. I have a single long 2x12 that I place so that the rear tires are on it and it spans the trench (keeping those back tires better supported). Sometimes you won't be able to get that one last stabilizer down because it would hover over air, but if you dig gently you won't miss it with the other stabilizer down and the bucket grounded. Dig in-line with the trench and dump the spoils away from you on the other side. You can use a single 2x12 for that last stabilizer if needed to get your boom arm vertical.

Hope this helps,
    Hunter
    1026R TLB (53", Artillian diverter, Ken's Hooks), 260BH (thumb, step), 60D MMM, rear blade, box blade, landscape rake, land plane, tiller, aerator, Artillian forks, 50" wicked grapple
    IS700z (27HP B&S commercial, 61” deck)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 05:57 PM
    Thanks
    I had this same question the first time I dug a trench with mine. It was scary and dangerous as all hell trying to straddle the trench. The width between a Scuts rear tires is too narrow. What I ended up doing is finishing it from the sides.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...-my-1026r.html
    2012 1026r
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54" MMM
    Powerflow w/ 3 bagger
    47" FE Snowblower
    48" Xtreme Box Blade from EverythingAttachments.com

7. Top | #5
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:31 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,992 Times in 2,949 Posts
    It's tough to do with these small machines. Dig from both sides, leave a couple of feet between the two ditches enough to get the one side tires through. When straddling the ditch always leave the outriggers down as far as possible without them dragging, just in case you drop into the ditch, the outriggers will save you.
    Last edited by Gizmo2; 04-12-2014 at 11:39 AM.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    06-18-2016 @ 01:13 PM
    Thanks
    well I got it done.
    I left a space in between then dug from the sides, nearly pulled myself into the ditch once ,Dang roots! I let it get a little wide at the very end just curling out the dirt, figured "no worries" this thing has a 4' bucket on the other end, just push it back in.
    I'll learn it sooner or later.looking to purchase the book on techniques, hopefully I learn enough to stay out of trouble and not just enough to get into no return kind of trouble.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 05:57 PM
    Thanks
    Sounds like you're on your way! I found that most of the digging power comes from the bucket curl. Try a little less with the down dipper stick and more on the curl. Finesse will come with experience. When I first got mine I was all over the place. I think you need more skill or finesse with a small bh like the 260 than you do with a full sized bh.
    HydroHarold and psrumors like this.
    2012 1026r
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54" MMM
    Powerflow w/ 3 bagger
    47" FE Snowblower
    48" Xtreme Box Blade from EverythingAttachments.com

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    02-23-2019 @ 11:19 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by potential View Post
    well I got it done.

I'll learn it sooner or later.looking to purchase the book on techniques, hopefully I learn enough to stay out of trouble and not just enough to get into no return kind of trouble.
    Sorta like when I started my long string of Jeep Purchases I was told: "The nice thing about 4-wheel drive, is that you can get stuck in places that others just dream about!" ~Scotty

11. Top | #9
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:31 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,992 Times in 2,949 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty370 View Post
    Sorta like when I started my long string of Jeep Purchases I was told: "The nice thing about 4-wheel drive, is that you can get stuck in places that others just dream about!" ~Scotty
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:15 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,613 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty370 View Post
    Been there once,,,,,,twice......oh the fun getting out.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements