• 2 Post By dieselshadow
  • 2 Post By dieselshadow

Thread: Auto Connect adjustment??

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-24-2015 @ 03:51 PM
    Thanks

Auto Connect adjustment??

Today I installed the 60" auto connect deck for the first time on our 1025R. I had my wife drive it over the deck so I could watch how things were lining up. The front arm was lining up great with the front slots and the rear pins were lining up good with the rear slots, but the female portion of the auto connect was a tad lower than the male shaft so the male end of the shaft was going to actually slightly hit the top edge of the female part, like the female portion was angled down just a little too much. At that point I didn't even try to go forward because I assumed it was not going to work correctly hitting that female edge and I saw there was a adjusting bolt, so I loosened the jamb nuts and adjusted the female part so it lined up pretty centered with the male part. I had my wife drive it forward and everything went together as smooth as glass. A that point I figured I was done, but later I got to wondering what happens to that adjustment bolt as the deck goes up. I was afraid that maybe it would bind on the bolt due to the angle changing as it goes up and down, so I went out and checked my clearances from the adjustment bolt head to the bracket that it hits. When the deck is flat out on the floor with the casters clear up, the bolt head is against the bracket. At about mid lift there is maybe a 1/16" gap between the bolt head and bracket and at full up, I have between 1/16" and a scant 1/8". I just don't want that bolt to put any tension on that female part which would bind the male/female connection. I questioned myself afterwards if John Deere intended for that female portion to angle down a little and then maybe it pops into place as the males pushs on it. It seemed like it should line up to make a smooth connection. Should I adjust it so that it angles down just a little so that it isn't perfectly centered but would still slip onto the male. This would give more bolt head clearance as the deck goes up than I have now. My height for connecting and unconnecting will be very consistent because I will do it on a flat concrete floor with the deck on a piece of cardboard so it doesn't slip. Is there a specific way that it is to be adjusted? I could not find anything in my deck owners manual. Please let me know what is the proper adjustment. Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    Here's the 1 series mower setup and adjustment thread. When I wrote that, there wasn't a published adjustment that I could find for the Auto-Connect bearing. I experimented a bit and came up with the bearing aiming just a hair bit low or leaning forward if you will. I'm sure where you have it will be just fine.
    etcallhome and psrumors like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Here's the 1 series mower setup and adjustment thread. When I wrote that, there wasn't a published adjustment that I could find for the Auto-Connect bearing. I experimented a bit and came up with the bearing aiming just a hair bit low or leaning forward if you will. I'm sure where you have it will be just fine.
    Thanks for the link. Lots of good info there. I think i will adjust my auto-connect just a little so it acts like the one in that video, where it raises slightly as it connects. That will automatically move the bolt head away from the bracket slightly so I know it is never binding. I have mine almost perfectly centered now, so I'll adjust it so it is tilted down just slightly, but not hitting on any edges of the female as the male enters. Thanks for the help!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    While I have your attention. On that gold bar at the front of the deck with the big nuts on it. I havn't adjusted anything on that yet, so it is still just the way it came from the dealer and on the front nuts, one side has more exposed threads showing than than other side. Should there be the same amount of threads showing to make it even from side to side or doesn't that matter?
    Question#2 What rpm do you mow at? Do I set the rpms at the PTO line on the tach or do you mow at full throttle?
    Thanks!

7. Top | #5
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1025RGardner View Post
    While I have your attention. On that gold bar at the front of the deck with the big nuts on it. I havn't adjusted anything on that yet, so it is still just the way it came from the dealer and on the front nuts, one side has more exposed threads showing than than other side. Should there be the same amount of threads showing to make it even from side to side or doesn't that matter?
    Question#2 What rpm do you mow at? Do I set the rpms at the PTO line on the tach or do you mow at full throttle?
    Thanks!
    The front draft arm nuts should be adjusted evenly. Get the mower height tool before making any adjustments. Also check you tire pressures and record them. Any deviations in tire pressure will effect your mower adjustments.

I mow at full tilt. You get the best cut you can get and it's not stressing the tractor any bit more.
    psrumors and Milharri like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the help!!

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com