Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 1025R autoconnect bearing bolt: missing in action

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-06-2019 @ 05:27 PM
    Thanks

1025R autoconnect bearing bolt: missing in action

Figured I'd post my experience here to save the next n00b a little heartburn.

I was cutting a newer section of our property for the first time and managed to run into a short stump. Immediately realized that I'd bent the housing under the deck. Cut the PTO, back out of there, and make a run back towards the house. Realize that I'm about to remove the 60D for the first time since I've purchased the mower. Follow the directions, remove the deck, check the housing and pound the dent back out. Blades turn freely again, everything looks good.

I go to put the deck back on. Check the instructions...and then spend the next couple of hours pushing the deck around trying to get it re-attached. Consult the directions again. Come to GTT and read all the posts I can find. Adjust my procedure a little, still no luck. In the process, I manage to break the pivot rod.

Order the part and keep scratching my head. I can get the deck mostly engaged (though not locked). By "mostly," I mean that the left rear hook needs to be lowered slightly to engage the deck correctly. Should be a simple adjustment, but the PTO just won't align right with the gear box at all. It just hangs way too low. Dangling and flopping around, and it doesn't make a bit of sense. In fact, I can't figure out how it ever aligned right.

Head to the dealer to ask some questions...what could I be doing wrong? As a n00b, the safest assumption is operator error. We go out to the lot and look at another 1025R that's set up with the MMM and dig around underneath. Then I notice the bearing bolt, which holds the PTO in alignment for mating with the gearbox.

I don't have one, and it's obvious that this is the issue.

I order another one, plus the washers and nuts, then recheck my tractor when I get back home. Could it have broken off somehow? I don't see any signs of damage or scratching. On the other hand, if it's been missing from day 1 (and I couldn't tell you one way or another, to be honest), how on earth would they have gotten the deck on there to begin with? One guy hand-aligning it while another drove it over the deck? My guess is that it broke off somewhere, somehow but I've no clue when or how it could have happened.

The dealer was helpful, but the guys told me that the the autoconnect stuff was new to them and they didn't have a ton of experience yet. OTOH, now that I know about the missing part, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot to it. One thing I will absolutely be doing once I have the pivot and bearing re-installed is to run through the sticky'ed setup process again to make sure there's nothing else amiss.

Anyway, thanks for reading my adventure. Here's to getting it fixed and running again soon before the grass covers the swingset and the chickens disappear completely.
    Last edited by jquinby; 04-17-2014 at 09:25 AM. Reason: typos

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:54 PM
    Thanks
    Adjusted correctly the deck is a dream to take on and off but out of alignment, they are no fun. Spend the time to get to know and understand the auto-connect system and that in and of itself will help greatly with setup.

After studying mine it is hard to believe it took them this long to come up with auto-connect, it really is simple.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jquinby View Post
    Figured I'd post my experience here to save the next n00b a little heartburn.

I was cutting a newer section of our property for the first time and managed to run into a short stump. Immediately realized that I'd bent the housing under the deck. Cut the PTO, back out of there, and make a run back towards the house. Realize that I'm about to remove the 60D for the first time since I've purchased the mower. Follow the directions, remove the deck, check the housing and pound the back out. Blades turn freely again, everything looks good.

I go to put the deck back on. Check the instructions...and then spend the next couple of hours pushing the deck around trying to get it re-attached. Consult the directions again. Come to GTT and read all the posts I can find. Adjust my process a little, still no luck. In the process, I managed to break the pivot rod. Order the part and keep scratching my head. I can get the deck mostly engaged (though not locked). By "mostly," I mean that the left rear hook needs to be lowered slightly to engage the deck correctly. Should be a simple adjustment, but the PTO just won't align right with the gear box at all. It just hangs way too low. Dangling and flopping around, and it doesn't make a bit of sense. In fact, I can't figure out how it ever aligned right.

Head to the dealer to ask some questions...what could I be doing wrong? As a n00b, the safest assumption is operator error. We go out to the lot and look at another 1025R that's set up with the MMM and dig around underneath. Then I notice the bearing bolt, which holds the PTO in alignment for mating with the gearbox.

I don't have one, and it's obvious that this is the issue.

I order one, plus the washers and nuts, then recheck my tractor when I get back home. Could it have broken off somehow? I don't see any signs of damage or scratching. On the other hand, if it's been missing from day 1 (and I couldn't tell you one way or another, to be honest), how on earth would they have gotten the deck on there to begin with? One guy hand-aligning it while another drove it over the deck? My guess is that it broke off somewhere, somehow but I've no clue when or how it could have happened.

The dealer was helpful, but the guys told me that the the autoconnect stuff was new to them and they didn't have a ton of experience yet. OTOH, now that I know about the missing part, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot to it. One thing I will absolutely be doing once I have the pivot and bearing re-installed is to run through the sticky'ed setup process again to make sure there's nothing else amiss.

Anyway, thanks for reading my adventure. Here's to getting it fixed and running again soon before the grass covers the swingset and the chickens disappear completely.
    Seen a couple of post where the bolt was missing. I'd guess that is vibrated loose.
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,328 Times in 2,601 Posts
    I'd bet that bolt wasn't tight in the first place. Once setup right, maybe a bit of the green lock-tite to prevent loosening and eventual loss.

Here's the bolt in question so everybody knows what we're talking about.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397742971.391944.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	27156
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    12-13-2014 @ 08:47 AM
    Thanks
    When I went to look at my used 1023E the mower wasn't attached, so I asked him to show how the auto-connect worked. We had a hell of a time - I had to hold the PTO in place while he drove it forward. Was worried I'd lose a finger or hand. Finally got it on. When I got home, looked at this forum I realized the alignment bolt was broken off. I don't think the previous owner had a clue. I ordered a new one with nuts and washers, but haven't installed it yet (haven't needed the mower yet, we just got a foot of snow in the north Mpls/St.Paul area last night). But, the way the bolt broke off it is bent on one end. I just hope I can get it out without damaging the PTO bearing pillow. I'll probably deal with it when I take the tractor apart to put the electric solenoid valve kit on for the independent lift to make it truly independent of both the 3PH and the FEL.

btw, for those who have actually used the auto-connect / drive-over feature of the MMM, the one time we tried it on a concrete floor, it just slid along the floor both trying to drive over it and trying to connect it. We had to use the loader to lift the front end of the tractor off the ground to get it up on the mower deck. I assume you either need to do it on the ground (not a slippery surface) or put something under it so it won't slide on the floor. ???
    JD 1023E w/54D MMM, H120 FEL, independent lift, JD iMatch hitch, more attachments to come...

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:54 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vtail View Post
    When I went to look at my used 1023E the mower wasn't attached, so I asked him to show how the auto-connect worked. We had a hell of a time - I had to hold the PTO in place while he drove it forward. Was worried I'd lose a finger or hand. Finally got it on. When I got home, looked at this forum I realized the alignment bolt was broken off. I don't think the previous owner had a clue. I ordered a new one with nuts and washers, but haven't installed it yet (haven't needed the mower yet, we just got a foot of snow in the north Mpls/St.Paul area last night). But, the way the bolt broke off it is bent on one end. I just hope I can get it out without damaging the PTO bearing pillow. I'll probably deal with it when I take the tractor apart to put the electric solenoid valve kit on for the independent lift to make it truly independent of both the 3PH and the FEL.

btw, for those who have actually used the auto-connect / drive-over feature of the MMM, the one time we tried it on a concrete floor, it just slid along the floor both trying to drive over it and trying to connect it. We had to use the loader to lift the front end of the tractor off the ground to get it up on the mower deck. I assume you either need to do it on the ground (not a slippery surface) or put something under it so it won't slide on the floor. ???
    My deck sits on a slick concrete floor and I have no issue driving over it or connecting. When driving over the deck you must be in 4wd, the front tires pulling will keep the deck in place.

As for the actual connection, if everything is adjusted correctly, it will slide together with very little force.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    12-13-2017 @ 02:16 PM
    Thanks
    You may have just saved me a service call.

I was trying to do the "super easy" auto connect this weekend...for over an hour. The FIRST problem I noticed was THAT bolt just hanging there way too low and looser than anything useful could be. It was hanging so low that it was catching the cross bar and then just dragging the deck forward without letting any connection.

So, I took it off. Needless to say, nothing lined up after that (well, it didn't line up before that either).

When I get home I'll post a pic of the bolt before I took it off.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    12-13-2014 @ 08:47 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by psrumors View Post
    My deck sits on a slick concrete floor and I have no issue driving over it or connecting. When driving over the deck you must be in 4wd, the front tires pulling will keep the deck in place.
    That was probably the issue. I assumed the owner at the time knew what he was doing, but clearly he did not. Thx.
    JD 1023E w/54D MMM, H120 FEL, independent lift, JD iMatch hitch, more attachments to come...

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CanyonVR View Post
    You may have just saved me a service call.

I was trying to do the "super easy" auto connect this weekend...for over an hour. The FIRST problem I noticed was THAT bolt just hanging there way too low and looser than anything useful could be. It was hanging so low that it was catching the cross bar and then just dragging the deck forward without letting any connection.

So, I took it off. Needless to say, nothing lined up after that (well, it didn't line up before that either).

When I get home I'll post a pic of the bolt before I took it off.

I can't post a link right now, but at the top of the SCUT forum there's an excellent sticky article on adjusting the mower deck for a 1 series tractor.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:48 PM
    Thanks
    I am one of those that had the bolt come loose. Fortunately I found the washer and nut on the drive before I disconnected the deck. When I disconnected the deck, I poured over every inch of the mower deck to see where it could have come from. Not finding anything there my next stop was underneath the tractor. Found it instantly and went and grabbed the instructions on the auto-connect. It had simply vibrated loose. I think what happens is when they install them at the dealership, they leave them slightly loose to adjust the height on the initial connect of the deck and they forget to tighten it down after the deck is connected. Once I tightened them, no loctite or anything, just sandwiching the bearing housing, I haven't had an issue with it since.

Jeff
    2013 1025R FILB w/ 60D MMM
    1973 140
    1974 140

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast