Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Remove/Replace transmission filter without changing fluid JD 2305

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-17-2019 @ 04:08 AM
    Thanks

Remove/Replace transmission filter without changing fluid JD 2305

I must have hit a few things with my hydraulic filter on the bottom of my 2305 (who though that was a good place for a filter?), and I have a Class I leak (drop or two a day) from the filter. I still have another 100+ hours before having to change the transmission fluid.

Question:

If I pull the filter to change it, will all of the fluid spill out?

What about if I use the FEL to jack the front end up pretty good while doing this?

Any thoughts are welcome.

Rich

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-22-2019 @ 05:43 PM
    Thanks
    I was told by the dealer I can replace the filter on a 1 series without draining the fluid. I am not sure if the setup is the same on the 2. I am interested as I figured the same thing can happen to mine.
    Kenny
    0331 88-92 USMC Ret.
    1025R FILB; 50" FEL Bucket with 3 Ken's Bolt On Hooks, Bucket Mounted Receiver and 1 Shackle Mount; psrumors Seat Springs; 12" BH Bucket; Box Blade; 48" Rotary Cutter; 48" Tiller; Omi Manufacturing Transformer Hitch w/Weight Rack; Artillian Forks, BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar, and More to come as I can beg it out of my wife!
    Also: Ford 9n, Massy Ferguson 231 & 231s, Zeter 7711 and a Mahindra 3525

4. Top | #3
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    I have no idea....

But I suggest you might want to be ready with a large catch pan just in case. Let us know what you find.
    Gizmo2, Ultrapile and psrumors like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Good advice Diesel. I use a catch pan whenever I remove filter just in case. If your filter is straight horizontal you will need something under it to catch at least a little so you may as well be prepared if you need to catch more.

Even taking the the precautions of a catch pan, I am still fully capable of making a mess. My wife lets me know it all the time.

I don't remember being this way when I was younger. Could be I am remembering less and less nowadays!
    Kenny
    0331 88-92 USMC Ret.
    1025R FILB; 50" FEL Bucket with 3 Ken's Bolt On Hooks, Bucket Mounted Receiver and 1 Shackle Mount; psrumors Seat Springs; 12" BH Bucket; Box Blade; 48" Rotary Cutter; 48" Tiller; Omi Manufacturing Transformer Hitch w/Weight Rack; Artillian Forks, BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar, and More to come as I can beg it out of my wife!

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:56 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    The 2305 transmission filter looks like it is only a couple inches above the drain plug. You would probably have to stand the tractor on its back wheels to avoid fluid coming out.

If it were me, I would simply do an early transmission service and then resume the 200 hour interval. Otherwise you're going to be throwing the filter away early at the next interval.

Alternatively, like Diesel suggested, have a catch pan ready and be prepared to add some back in.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:03 AM
    Thanks
    FYI I brought a shield for that filter on ebay, after I put a good dent in mine. Not sure if still available, made by inventive...I am about to change the filter out but if going that far am going to do fluid and screen as well. second time to be done on tractor and I only have 150 hrs on it. But this year is 5 year anniversary, so going to change all fluids and filters.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fdmars View Post
    FYI I brought a shield for that filter on ebay, after I put a good dent in mine. Not sure if still available, made by inventive...I am about to change the filter out but if going that far am going to do fluid and screen as well. second time to be done on tractor and I only have 150 hrs on it. But this year is 5 year anniversary, so going to change all fluids and filters.
    Sounds like a good idea on the guard. I may look into something for my 1 series. It is not an issue on my larger tractors (BTW they are not JD). I would change the fluid and clean the screen like you also. I know there is still enough residual debris in my system from the original build to warrant it even though I did the 50 hr change. I am at 93 hours now and plan on another system clean out at about 150 hours.

If you can, would you be able to pull the filter before draining and let us know how much fluid spills?
    Kenny
    0331 88-92 USMC Ret.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    08-14-2019 @ 06:46 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fdmars View Post

Do you have any more info on that shield? Sounds like a great idea. I looked on ebay for filter shields and found nothing.
    Thanks
    Steve

JD 2012/1023E, H120 FEL, 54" QH front plow, JD ballast box, JD 627 tiller, Kens hooks, Log boom, Original Tractor Cab, Small Grapple

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claudester View Post
    Do you have any more info on that shield? Sounds like a great idea. I looked on ebay for filter shields and found nothing.
    Thanks

Kenny
    0331 88-92 USMC Ret.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,082 Times in 2,548 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by claudester View Post
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrapile View Post
    I can't do it now for you now, but try searching eBay for "skid plate 1026"

There was a guy making them for the 2210 and 2305 tractors, not sure about the 1 series.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast