• 6 Post By 56FordGuy
  • 1 Post By Tomfive

Thread: End of Warranty Inspection

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:32 AM
    Thanks

End of Warranty Inspection

Has anyone had their dealer do an "end of warranty inspection"?

I'm taking my 1026 in for a couple of small things, like that loose steering assembly, and the service writer I was talking to suggested an end of warranty inspection given that I only have one month left of the comprehensive warranty. I never asked how much it will cost but I'm guessing an hour of labour.
    Workin hard at loafing!
    2012 1026R c/w H120 FEL, 42" Frontier Forks, 6T49 CL Tooth Bar, CL7 Weight Bracket

RC2048 48" Rough Cut Mower, Buhler Y550R 60" Finishing Mower, 60" Frontier RB2060L Back Blade, JD Ballast Box
    Femco Hitch Adapter 2" Receiver, 60" Farm King 3PH Snow Blower, I Match, BB2048L Frontier Box Blade

6' Kodiak Landscape Rake, Braber Equipment PHD c/w 9" & 12" X 48" Augers, HLA 1000 60" Snow Blade

1980 317 L&G Tractor c/w 48" Mower and 48" Snow Blower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-23-2016 @ 10:20 AM
    Thanks
    I got a letter from Tri-Green recommending the inspection before the warranty expires. Cost was $39 to run the diagnostic, but if anything was found they waived the cost. Not a bad deal.
    2012 1026R Factory TLB
    H120 Loader, 260 Backhoe, 60D MMM with Auto PTO and Hydraulic Lift, iMatch QH, Artillian Forks, Frontier BB5060L Box Blade, Piranha Toothbar, ANBO GR-M 60" Grapple, Ken's Bolt on Hooks

2005 John Deere GX345
    20 HP, Liquid Cooled, Power Steering, Hydraulics, 54C Deck
    17P Cart
    25 Gallon Brinley tow behind sprayer

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:09 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimed1 View Post
    I got a letter from Tri-Green recommending the inspection before the warranty expires. Cost was $39 to run the diagnostic, but if anything was found they waived the cost. Not a bad deal.
    Nope, that's not a bad deal at all.

Carvel, I'm not sure what to suggest if you're taking it in for problems X, Y, and Z and the dealer recommends the inspection on top of that. On one hand, it certainly can't hurt; you're there anyway. On the other, as a tech (not JD) I never want to put a customer's machine back in service without giving it a good inspection, on the issue I was repairing and everything else. If I go out on a machine for an oil leak, when I get the leak fixed I want to know if there's anything else obvious wrong. If there is, it's an opportunity to sell the customer one of two things- if the equipment is out of warranty, I have the opportunity to sell them the repair I found and save them a breakdown later on. If the machine is in warranty, there's no selling. I just order the parts to fix it, but I get to tell the customer "Hey, while I was in there I found this other thing. I fixed it/ ordered parts to fix it, we'll get it taken care of." That just reinforces to the customer that we as a dealer really are looking out for them.

I'd want to know what exactly an end of warranty inspection costs, and what it includes. If they're getting into the machine and testing hydraulic pressure, fuel pressure, compression, things that take some special effort to check then it might be worthwhile. If it's similar to a basic PM inspection, I would expect that to be done as a part of the repairs they're already doing.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:11 PM
    Thanks
    This "end of warranty inspection" is very interesting. I actually had my 1026R at my dealer for the SCV replacement about 2 months before my 2 years. Not a peep from them about any inspection being available. Had I had any idea this would have been a good idea, I would have asked. It sounds like a really good idea if the price is reasonable.

So my end of warranty date just went by quietly. No real issues so far.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-10-2018 @ 05:27 PM
    Thanks
    I took my 1026R in to my dealer about 2 months before the warranty was up to have the SCV replacement, H120 loader stand replacement, coolant jug/cap replacement and hood brace installation all done at the same time. Five weeks and many calls later they had it done. Had to go back into the building and grab a technician to tighten up some of the fender bolts I saw sticking up (started hand tight). It will be a cold day in $#ll before they see that tractor again.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    03-22-2019 @ 05:43 PM
    Thanks
    Hoosier, I had a similar issue with a motorcycle back in 1983. It ran great for the one year on warranty. No major issues to fix. I took it in to have it checked over near the end of the warranty. It did not take long like yours. When I went to pick it up, the service tech said he did me a favor and drilled out the carburetors to make it faster. It had 4 carbs on it. I wish he had never touched it, The bike never ran right again. It would flood out often and fill the crank case with gasoline. I had it for many years and it was never reliable after that.

I do think it was a tech problem and I will most likely have my JD in the dealer at some point. I need the valves replaced for my front bucket before long. I am not sure about just taking it in for a look over coming off warranty.
    Kenny
    0331 88-92 USMC Ret.
    1025R FILB; 50" FEL Bucket with 3 Ken's Bolt On Hooks, Bucket Mounted Receiver and 1 Shackle Mount; psrumors Seat Springs; 12" BH Bucket; Box Blade; 48" Rotary Cutter; 48" Tiller; Omi Manufacturing Transformer Hitch w/Weight Rack; Artillian Forks, BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar, and More to come as I can beg it out of my wife!
    Also: Ford 9n, Massy Ferguson 231 & 231s, Zeter 7711 and a Mahindra 3525

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-15-2016 @ 06:05 AM
    Thanks

Cool

Guys,

My 1026 goes out of warranty in less than a week. I just completed the 200 hour service myself. I greased it and replaced every filter, the oil and the hydraulic fluid. Looked it over good (visually) and found a 3/4" crack in the right armrest. I replaced that and noticed the new one seems to have a slightly denser foam filling so perhaps it will be less prone to cracking. The dealer will give me credit for the armrest when I return the cracked one to him.

All in all, I've been very satisfied with the way John Deere and my dealer have handled warranty issues. The machine still runs sweet and might even been a little quieter with that new hydraulic fluid in there. I wonder why that would be. Anyway, the tractor and I are looking forward to a third year of working on useful projects together.
    Last edited by Adamski; 04-22-2014 at 06:07 AM.
    Larry

"Good advice often goes unrecognized until it's too late."

1026R tractor, H120 loader, 60D mid-mount mower, JDiMatch, RB2060L rear blade with hydraulic angling, JD ballast box, 40" hydraulic core aerator, 38" dethatcher, home-made duo screen and several JD hats.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:32 AM
    Thanks
    So I found out that the so called "end of warranty inspection" was nothing more than a 400 point visual check and inspection with no testing of pressures or flows. It wouldn't be a bad idea except they wanted 400 bucks to do it. When I looked over the list of inspection points it is mostly stuff I do anyway.

Nonetheless, they have the machine to repair that loose steering mechanism, check the brakes because it is creeping on mild inclines, and to check why it appears to have excessive white smoke when starting (which could be related to the fuel I have in there). They also indicated, as someone earlier posted here, if they see something obvious they would of course bring it to my attention and if it is warranty they would deal with it.

So after this comprehensive warranty is done I have one more year of power train warranty so I'm not too worried.
    Workin hard at loafing!
    2012 1026R c/w H120 FEL, 42" Frontier Forks, 6T49 CL Tooth Bar, CL7 Weight Bracket

RC2048 48" Rough Cut Mower, Buhler Y550R 60" Finishing Mower, 60" Frontier RB2060L Back Blade, JD Ballast Box
    Femco Hitch Adapter 2" Receiver, 60" Farm King 3PH Snow Blower, I Match, BB2048L Frontier Box Blade

6' Kodiak Landscape Rake, Braber Equipment PHD c/w 9" & 12" X 48" Augers, HLA 1000 60" Snow Blade

1980 317 L&G Tractor c/w 48" Mower and 48" Snow Blower

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Carvel Loafer For This Useful Post:

Tomfive (04-22-2014)

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:11 PM
    Thanks
    Well, I guess I have to change my opinion of the "end of warranty inspection". I think that $400 for a visual check and possible adjustments with no real guts check (pressures and functions), is a bit too rich for my budget. Especially since I can do the same visual checks myself.

Just my 2 cents. and thanks Mr. Loafer for supplying that info.
    Carvel Loafer likes this.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    12-29-2018 @ 05:03 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomfive View Post
    Well, I guess I have to change my opinion of the "end of warranty inspection". I think that $400 for a visual check and possible adjustments with no real guts check (pressures and functions), is a bit too rich for my budget. Especially since I can do the same visual checks myself.

Just my 2 cents. and thanks Mr. Loafer for supplying that info.
    True, I'm with you there. Find the list and I'll do it myself for that price!
    However, if you have your dealer do the check, it is now in your service records in case something goes wrong down the line.

Mr. Moose
    1026R TLB Born on Nov 13, 2012; adopted Mar 6, 2013
    RC2048 Rotary Cutter, JD 47" Quick-Hitch Snowblower, JD 54" Quick-Hitch Blade, JD 3-pt Trailer Hitch, HLA Pallet Forks, Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch Plate, Superwinch S5000

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements