Auto-Connect driveshaft goes up and down??

Thread: Auto-Connect driveshaft goes up and down??

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-24-2015 @ 03:51 PM
    Thanks

Auto-Connect driveshaft goes up and down??

I had been trying to figure out why my auto connect deck is so rattly sounding at low speeds and from you guys found that it is considered pretty normal. Anyways, I had completely removed the deck and so I put the PTO lever in the rear only position so I could turn the mower PTO easily and so I reached under there and turned the short auto-connect driveshaft that connects to the PTO. The rear portion of it has a female square hole in it that recieves a square front shaft about 5"-6" inchs. When I rotate that shaft, the female portion goes up and down I bet 1/8". It is like when they machined the square hole in back half of that driveshaft, they didn't get it centered. Have any of you guys checked yours to see if it runs true or goes up and down. It seems like that up and down would cause a vibration that could cause the auto-connect to rattle kinda like a tire out of balance. Does that make sense or is it too small of a diameter to cause a vibration?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Thanks
    It is due to the angles and the universal joints. Nature of the beast when it come to a driveshaft.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Off subject for just a second:: Someone had mentioned how sloppy the shaft fits in those scissor brackets that hold the auto-connect and I looked at mine and they really are pretty sloppy. The same guy said that he removed his scissor brackets and elongated the back two holes so he could make them fit tighter on the shaft and that seems like a really good idea. Even just lifting it up and down by hand makes a pretty loud metal to metal sound, so if it is shaking around with the deck running, I could see it making a lot of racket!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 1025RGardner For This Useful Post:

Bjw710g (04-25-2014)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,325 Times in 2,598 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1025RGardner View Post
    Off subject for just a second:: Someone had mentioned how sloppy the shaft fits in those scissor brackets that hold the auto-connect and I looked at mine and they really are pretty sloppy. The same guy said that he removed his scissor brackets and elongated the back two holes so he could make them fit tighter on the shaft and that seems like a really good idea. Even just lifting it up and down by hand makes a pretty loud metal to metal sound, so if it is shaking around with the deck running, I could see it making a lot of racket!
    I used zip ties to silence that rattle. It worked, but didn't quiet the deck rattle down as much as I had hoped for. I think there are several factors/items participating in the noise making.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    I used zip ties to silence that rattle. It worked, but didn't quiet the deck rattle down as much as I had hoped for. I think there are several factors/items participating in the noise making.
    Yep, sounds like there is a gang fight going on under there and they all are using metal nun-chucks!

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements