Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Green Man

Thread: My "new" ROPS

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Thanks

My "new" ROPS

Thought I would share with the group that I finally "cut to the chase" and had my local welder cut out 6 inches from my ROPS. I re-installed it today and it is 79 inches high, which clears my garage door just fine with about an inch or two to spare. I was concerned about the garage door motor, but it cleared it just fine. It had been off the tractor since last fall and I wanted to have it on the tractor, but still be able to get it into the garage.

In spite of their best efforts to keep it straight, it was off by just a little bit and it took some finagling to get it re-installed. So if any of you with welders decide to tackle this, be careful when lining it up for welding after the cut. There is not much room for a "mis-adjustmnt". The cut will need to be made closest to the joint.

I also installed the recall kit for the spring clips. It is just a retainer ring to make the cable longer, although they do include new spring clips.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,505 Times in 1,614 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    Thought I would share with the group that I finally "cut to the chase" and had my local welder cut out 6 inches from my ROPS. I re-installed it today and it is 79 inches high, which clears my garage door just fine with about an inch or two to spare. I was concerned about the garage door motor, but it cleared it just fine. It had been off the tractor since last fall and I wanted to have it on the tractor, but still be able to get it into the garage.

In spite of their best efforts to keep it straight, it was off by just a little bit and it took some finagling to get it re-installed. So if any of you with welders decide to tackle this, be careful when lining it up for welding after the cut. There is not much room for a "mis-adjustmnt". The cut will need to be made closest to the joint.

I also installed the recall kit for the spring clips. It is just a retainer ring to make the cable longer, although they do include new spring clips.

Dave
    Had my BIL cut mine down , about a week after owning my 1026r. We had a piece of sq tubing that fit inside the ROPS after we cut them apart , put it inside the openings , rewelded , been happy as can be.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    When the dealer swapped my SCV, they also installed the new spring clips. The new ones were a little bit larger diameter material than the old ones on mine. I figured the ring was added so that they didn't have to change the cables out.

I know it made it a heck of a lot easier to install and remove the spring pins! I haven't cut my ROPS down to fit into the garage as my intention is to get a shed build for tractor storage. So I raise and lower the ROPS quite often.

Jeff
    Last edited by jphavener; 04-27-2014 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Had to fix quote
    2013 1025R FILB w/ 60D MMM
    1973 140
    1974 140

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 07:25 PM
    Thanks
    Does anyone have a picture of the difference between the original and new clips?
    Meddle likes this.
    John Deere 1026R (MY 2012) Purchased April 2013
    H120 FEL with 49" bucket, Ken's 5/16" Bolt on Hooks & BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar
    60D (7-iron) Autoconnect MMM
    JD 3-Bag MCS w/Honda GC160 Power "Pak"
    260 BH with 12" bucket
    Artillian 42"x3" Forks w/2" Receiver
    48" EA XTreme Duty Box Blade
    36" EA Independent Wheel Lawn Aerator w/Alternating Depth Tines
    52" Ratchet Rake
    iMatch QH

2003 John Deere LX266
    42" Freedom Mulching Deck
    Larger LX model wheels/tires

7. Remove Advertisements