NEW 1025R owner about to take delivery. Have a few questions...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: NEW 1025R owner about to take delivery. Have a few questions...

1. Top | #1
    snr

Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks

NEW 1025R owner about to take delivery. Have a few questions...

I am very excited to get my tractor. This is my first ever REAL tractor. I bought the 54" deck and the loader H120. I have some safety concerns and would like some good advice on how to stay safe. My FARM (ha ha) 1.6 acres and sloped mostly, not steep just a gradual slop. I know some may say I didn't need the 1 series but I have some projects I want to do and I also have a bad back. Plus weigh in the fact that the 700 series garden tractor was actually more money if outfitted the same as my 1025R, it seemed the best deal. Anyway, the concerns...

Does the 54" deck do a good job as a finish mower?

On a slop while mowing with only the deck attached is it safer to have extra weight on the 3PT hitch or better to just mow with no weight? My tires will have fluid in them.

I understand if I am using my loader with either light loads or heavy loads, it is a good idea and practice not to raise the load any higher than needed to transport. Makes sense. Should I leave it in 4WD? I think s but just want some pointers. Low range always? Things to stay safe...

I ordered a heavy hitch and I am buying some suitcase weights for ballast. With my filled tires and the iMatch, Heavy hitch and 6 suitcase (about 372 Lbs total), will that get me by with small loads, keeping them low to the ground and in low range?

The only other implement I really want is a Box Blade. Not sure when I will get it but I know it sets even further back and weighs about 325 lbs. That would probably be a better ballast but can it wait a while?

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read my post. I really appreciate anyones help. Thanks again

Ret USAR SFC

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks
    54" should do a great job. These decks have a ton of vacuum. It'll blow grass a long way too.

I like to use 4x4 going down hill with loader on as the back can start to slide and then hang on.... Grass can be greasy... It won't want to turn in 4x4 so be mindful.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    snr likes this.
    Early 2012 1026R with H120 and 60" auto connect MMM

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 636mullet For This Useful Post:

snr (05-01-2014)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks

Congrats on the new tractor. You'll love it.

With the filled tires stability will be greatly improved. The 54" will do a great job mowing.
    snr likes this.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

6. The Following User Says Thank You to psrumors For This Useful Post:

snr (05-01-2014)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    03-18-2017 @ 09:02 AM
    Thanks
    Welcome from Oklahoma!

I imagine the learned tractor masters will be along shortly to lend much helpful advice. You'll enjoy mowing with the MMM. It does a great job as long as you keep it adjusted properly. You are going to LOVE your 1025R!
    snr likes this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnFromOKC For This Useful Post:

snr (05-01-2014)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-30-2018 @ 08:15 PM
    Thanks

All the best with your 1025R...you are going to love it!!!

Let's see...easy question first. The 54" inch deck is a super finish mower. I have the same deck, and it does a beautiful job on my lawn.

The rest of your post seems to essentially relate to concerns on tractor stability and ballast. That is not a straight forward answer. Lots of factors affect your stability, e.g. degree of slope, tractor speed, weight in FEL, height of FEL while in transit, smoothness of terrain (if on an aggressive side slope, a woodchuck hole or rut could be what sends you over).

Certainly filled tires will help, as it lowers the overall Center of Gravity of tractor. If using the FEL, definitely want to get ballast weight to back of the rear axle...for two reasons. First off for safely as it helps in stability and traction. And secondly, ballast weight to the rear of axle acts as a counter balance and takes what could be damaging weight of the front axle. And of course keep bucket as low as possible...again keeps CG low.

If mowing a finely groomed lawn, too much weight could overly compact your lawn. And if you have a septic system, as I do, I don't like too much weight going over the drainage field.

As far as how much ballast, I don't have a perfect answer. Lots of posts on GTT regarding the ballast subject. Suggest doing a search and spending some time reading the wealth of valuable info.

And lastly, there is a term used regularly here on the forum called the "pucker factor". If you are not familiar with that term, when you get on a side-slope you will quickly figure out what that is. Each person's pucker factor is different!

The litmus test on a side-slope...if it doesn't feel right...don't do it! Keep the ROPS up and seat belt fastened on tricky terrain (don't forget to lower before going back into garage with standard height door...I learned the hard way). SAFETY first...

Best of luck with the new tractor! And we all love action shots on this forum...will await yours!

Mike

P.S. - Thank you for your service to our country!
    Last edited by thegriz; 05-01-2014 at 08:58 PM.
    JD 1025R - 2013
    - H120 FEL, 260 Backhoe, 54D MMM with AutoConnect/Hydraulic Lift, Standard JD Ballast Box...450lbs sand+box=579lbs, psrumors's custom seat springs
    - DBS fixed!

Wheel Horse 520xi - 2001
    - 44" Deck, 48" Dozer/Plow Blade, Wheel Weights, VacBagger System

Wheel Horse 14HP "No Name" - 1973
    - Finished "frame off" restoration 2013 (3 yr project)
    - 42" Deck, 48" Plow Blade (sold), 36" RotoTiller (sold)

I'm so confused, "GREEN" versus "RED"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to thegriz For This Useful Post:

snr (05-01-2014)

12. Top | #6
    snr

Last Online
    Thanks

Thanks Guys

I really appreciate the info. I am taking your advise and I am going to be careful. Really looking forward to the arrival. I will get some pictures of the lay of my land and maybe that will help. I do plan on adding pictures of the tractor as well. Thanks again for your help.

BTW I am located in West Virginia,

13. Top | #7

Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by snr View Post
    I really appreciate the info. I am taking your advise and I am going to be careful. Really looking forward to the arrival. I will get some pictures of the lay of my land and maybe that will help. I do plan on adding pictures of the tractor as well. Thanks again for your help.

BTW I am located in West Virginia,
    I just got back from a week in Charleston. Y'all got some crazy interstate interchanges there.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

14. Top | #8
    snr

Last Online
    Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psrumors View Post
    I just got back from a week in Charleston. Y'all got some crazy interstate interchanges there.
    Hope you enjoyed your time up here. Still not warm enough for me yet. Thanks for the info and help.

15. Top | #9
    Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks
    Last year when I move to WV I thought there was no way I would be able to side hill and cut the grass in my front yard. The first time I tried it there was currently a pucker factor. I got use to the feeling and I'm much more comfortable now. It. Also helps that I have fluid filled and weighted tires. Good luck and enjoy.
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to felixm22 For This Useful Post:

snr (05-02-2014)

17. Top | #10
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:18 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,998 Times in 2,955 Posts
    Welcome to GTT snr. You'll be in fine hands here, I'm sure.
    Like thegriz said (good post) the search can be your friend and could very well answer questions you did not know you had.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

snr (05-02-2014), thegriz (05-05-2014)

19. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast