Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree519Likes

Thread: Do you use your bh often? Trying to justify extra $$

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:29 PM
    Thanks

Do you use your bh often? Trying to justify extra $$

I know it would be handy for a handful of jobs but once they are done I am not sure it will just sit in my garage. Has that happened to any of you? Thought you would use it all the time and haven't?
    rtgt, TJR345 and Robnik like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:28 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,142 Times in 973 Posts
    I think most people do not regret buying one. Over the years we have talked of buying one, but in our 11 years at this place, I have paid no where near the cost of a BH in hiring an excavating contractor to do our work.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, pcabe5 and 8 others like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:11 PM
    Thanks
    I would recommend you do buy the hoe. I was not going to at first due to the extra costs. My wife pushed me to do so and glad she did. I don't know what I did without it. If you decide not to and down the road want to add a hoe. You have the added expense of the labor to do so. Factory fit is best in my book! Using the FEL and a shovel is like picking apples with one hand tied behind your back... it's doable but a lot slower :-) good luck with your choice.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, pcabe5 and 9 others like this.
    Laurie

John Deere 1025r TLB, Frontier 54" Rear Blower with hydraulics , 54" Quick Connect Mower, 49" Frontier Tiller, iMatch Hitch, Ballast Box, 42" Adjustable Front Tines, 48" Frontier Box Blade, Light Guards, Rear Work Light, Front ROPS Mounted Utility Lights, Block Heater.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Valley Boy For This Useful Post:

dchamplain (09-23-2017)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,607 Posts
    Bought the BH when I owned a 2305 , waiting for city water in our community. Used it helping the community and used it guessing close to 100 hrs. Traded it in and bought a 1026r Had close to 350 hrs and probably 100+ hrs using BH digging water lines about 4 yrs ago. When I traded the 1026 for the 1025 kept the BH and FEL . Since then have put guessing another 50-75hrs . Yes high cost but I have used mine plus made some money , if nothing else keeping tractor in fuel, the maintenance needed and some mad money for me.
    Gizmo2, AKfish, pcabe5 and 10 others like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Thanks
    I think if you have a bh, you find unplanned uses for it.

Example: we were upgrading our electric service and moving the new panel around the corner. The utility now requires a roof mount. Since we're going to put on concrete roof tile, I wasn't wild about dealing with cutting the tile for the penetration. The electrician said "What about underground?" Having a bh made it an reasonable option since we could dig the 50 ft trench ourselves.

At my age (68) with a bad back, having a bh makes a HUGE difference on how much I have to use a shovel... Hubby has bad knees & had a little trouble getting on the bh at first, but that got better with practice. Now we have Ken's bh steps to make it easier.

No regrets here.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 07:42 PM
    Thanks
    We bought a 1025R with all sorts of goodies, including the backhoe and began using right at the start of 2015. I used it a lot in 2015 and 2016. Well, I guess it depends upon how you measure "a lot" -- perhaps 25-30 hours -- but I was pleased with how much I was able to do with it in such a short amount of time. A shovel would have taken me much, much longer to get some rocks and stumps dug out.

I haven't used the backhoe once in 2017, except for as ballast to the loader. I've still got quite a few rocks and stumps I want to dig out but life changes have just kept me from it this year. That's ok, though: I didn't buy the backhoe to get 3 years of use out of it. I bought it to get 30+ years of use out of it. I'll finish digging rocks and stumps within a few years, I'm sure, but we'll likely add more garden space, take down more trees, etc, etc. Always things to do that will make it useful.

I'd also like to point out that I *have* been using the backhoe this year: as ballast to the loader. I find it much faster and easier to take the backhoe on and off for ballast than the ballast box on the 3pt hitch. Even with the iMatch, the backhoe is a better ballast, IMO. Sure, ballast isnt' the reason to buy a backhoe, but I think it's another advantage of it that is worth noting.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, pcabe5 and 8 others like this.
    1025R TLB with the 53" loader bucket and 12" backhoe bucket, 54" mower deck (no AutoConnect!), 54" snowblower, 647 tiller, and a ballast box. Fitted an RIO override, added several KBOGH products (a pair of hooks on the loader bucket, a clevis mount to the backhoe, and the diff lock pedal), a GoPro mount on top of the ROPS, R2 Manufacturing 2x 4" Edge Tamers and Edge Extenders. What next?

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 06:13 PM
    Thanks
    In a practical evaluation the additional expense would warrant a very large number of hours of use to compete with renting when required.

As an addition to "a man's toolbox" where a man is faced with tasks to perform in his life and he often has to make due and get creative to accomplish something, or not accomplish something because he can not contrive the means, having a backhoe on hand is a trump card.

Myself, I find it the most interesting attachment to use.

If in the future you wished to shed assets for one reason or another which machine do you expect to attract more prospective buyers?
    1 A 1025 with a mower.
    2 A 1025 with a loader and mower.
    3 A 1025 with a loader, mower and backhoe.

Which would command the highest resale? Won't that mean that you will not pay the full price for the backhoe due to residual value?

I guess it depends more on what kind of person you are if you think it is "justified". I'm the kind of guy that has always spent more than he should have on fancy cars, trucks, knives, guns etc. I'm a lover of things mechanical. I bit the bullet and opted for the backhoe and I do not expect that I will ever hit the hours of use vs renting payday and I don't care.

What kind of guy are you?
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dianedebuda View Post
    I think if you have a bh, you find unplanned uses for it.

Example: we were upgrading our electric service and moving the new panel around the corner. The utility now requires a roof mount. Since we're going to put on concrete roof tile, I wasn't wild about dealing with cutting the tile for the penetration. The electrician said "What about underground?" Having a bh made it an reasonable option since we could dig the 50 ft trench ourselves.

At my age (68) with a bad back, having a bh makes a HUGE difference on how much I have to use a shovel... Hubby has bad knees & had a little trouble getting on the bh at first, but that got better with practice. Now we have Ken's bh steps to make it easier.

No regrets here.
    I have dug the foundation for my shop. Replaced 160 feet of 15 inch drainage pipe and created a culvert on each end. Used the good pipe I pulled out to level an area at the back of my proerty. Cleared that same area of stumps and brush. Started a raised bed (no not done yet) for strawberries on the side of the house for my honey. Installed a flower bed in middle of front yard for my gal. Dug to put electric to the shop. Created a retaining wall behind the shop., dug and put in drainage across the back of the home. Put in ten trees. Started putting in sidewalk in back of home., need to put in front walk. Dug two Graves for my pets. The first pup who died was the first duty of the hoe. I know I paid for it, so perhaps I just did a lot more. I would say 1/3 of my hours are hoe related. And going on 600. I know I will use it as much again. Definately back saver. Never would have done 1/20th of what I have. Worth buying it, absolutely. Would I do it again? Absolutely. Any regrets? NO WAY.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    12-04-2018 @ 02:50 PM
    Thanks
    This is a touchy subject to some. For the amount of work these little BH do, I'd save the expense and rent a track hoe. Set aside a week and knock out every little project you can think of. The track hoes are much quicker and stronger. I see more BH sitting in a pasture unused than just about any other impliments. I hate seeing them fade from the sun and hoses rot. The biggest argument for them seems to be wanting to use it when they want vs planning it and renting it. If it was 1500-2000 it would be a no brained, but at 7k and up there's no way I'd buy one. I can get a 18-20k lb track hoe for around a grand a week and do a ton of work with it. I'll go that route every time

Brett
    fdmars, pcabe5, ColonyPark and 7 others like this.
    2017 5100E CAB H260
    ---FRONTIER BB4296
    ---MX15
    ---MX8
    ---EA 72" GRAPPLE

2017 KUBOTA ZD1211R
    2017 KUBOTA RTV-X1100C
    4K winch, 2”lift, 27s

GONE AND FORGOTTEN
    2013 AND 2014 5055E CAB H240

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    09-23-2019 @ 11:10 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyshakelford View Post
    This is a touchy subject to some. For the amount of work these little BH do, I'd save the expense and rent a track hoe. Set aside a week and knock out every little project you can think of. The track hoes are much quicker and stronger. I see more BH sitting in a pasture unused than just about any other impliments. I hate seeing them fade from the sun and hoses rot. The biggest argument for them seems to be wanting to use it when they want vs planning it and renting it. If it was 1500-2000 it would be a no brained, but at 7k and up there's no way I'd buy one. I can get a 18-20k lb track hoe for around a grand a week and do a ton of work with it. I'll go that route every time

Brett
    $5k for a JD 260.
    pcabe5, OxPath, BigJim55 and 4 others like this.
    JD 1026r

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast