3 tractors in a row with a 1st cut problem..
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By CyberShanks
  • 2 Post By golf12

Thread: 3 tractors in a row with a 1st cut problem..

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 10:29 AM
    Thanks

3 tractors in a row with a 1st cut problem..

Man, I have some kinda streak goin' here that is not to be envied.. Yesterday I mowed with my brand new 1023 for the 1st time.. When I was nearly done, I was making a pass and happened to look down to see a nut shining in the grass as I went by.. Stopped, picked it up, crawled around the tractor to see if I could find what it was from. Didn't see anything... Finished mowing, cleaned up and put the tractor back in the barn. Went to take the deck off.. And the dang thing wouldn't go down.. What the heck?!.. Crawled around, poked and prodded, moved levers and played around with everything I could think of.. Nothin'.. Finally had my head up the tractors rear end trying to see all of the linkages and there it was.. (sorry I don't know all of the proper names for parts so I'll try to describe it).. The arm that pushes forward and pulls pack as you raise and lower the deck had completely come off, and the bolt that holds it on was just barely hanging on.. The nut I found had backed itself out until it fell off.. Couldn't find the washer and figured it was out in the yard somewhere.. Luckily I found it later on top of the deck itself when I finally got it lowered to the floor so I could back off of it.. Now this was an easy fix by simply just putting it back on but geezzuss.. Between this nut and bolt falling off and having to completely readjust the hood so it closes properly.. I am really questioning JD's quality control at that Georgia plant.. Ok.. now the good.. This was the most time I've spent in the seat since I got the machine home 3 weeks ago.. What an absolute pleasure to ride, it sips fuel, the 54" deck goes on and off like butter and the cut is absolutely outstanding!.. To the title of my post though.. This is my 3rd rider but my 1st new one.. When I bought my place, it came with an old JD160 that served me well for many years.. But the 1st time I used it the pto kept randomly shutting off.. I replaced that unit with a 318 which after some restoration work was an absolutely fantastic machine.. However the 1st time I used it, the belt kept hopping off of the mule drive.. Then there's this experience.. That's 3 machines in a row with problems on the first cut!..ha!..

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:56 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 829 Posts
    Well it sounds like you got the first cut problem out of the way and if history holds you shouldn't have any more issues!

Just to be on the safe side I'd spend some time with the wrenches....

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    02-28-2019 @ 01:30 PM
    Thanks
    And maybe add some locktite here and there.

Congrats on the new one.

Jim
    rtgt likes this.
    '11 3005 4wd R4s w/300 & 60" Std w/Pirahna tb, Artillian 36" forks, Custom 83" SnowBear front blade, Frontier RB2060 blade, King Kutter TG-G-60 tiller and RFM-72 mower, Spee-Co Model-65 phd, Fimco LG-40-3PT sprayer, Tarter SUBY and TMY, Agri-Fab 24x48LR lawn roller & John Deere BW15073 and 6x42lb weights.
    '12 ZTrak Pro 925A-EFi w/60" 7-Iron, AgriFab SmartLink w/(aerator/dethacher/roller), 130lb Spreader & 350lb Poly Cart.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:53 PM
    Thanks
    Have your wife mow the first time from now on!

I would blame your dealer for that problem tho...they put that deck together and put it on.

Glad its cutting good, I might try my 54" deck this summer. Just to see if it works , before warranty is over.
    Dave's 2012 1026R TLB,54"MMM Auto Attach,Ken's hooks&clevis,Artillian 36' Forks and a KennyPedal WH 520H 48" Snow Blade,48" Deck379 Peterbuilt (3 Million Miles in a big truck)

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 10:29 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chex313 View Post
    Have your wife mow the first time from now on!

I would blame your dealer for that problem tho...they put that deck together and put it on.

Glad its cutting good, I might try my 54" deck this summer. Just to see if it works , before warranty is over.
    Good point chex.. I suppose you're right that it was the dealer and not JD.. I'll call up and giv'em the gears tomorrow just to go on the record..
    chex313 and felixm22 like this.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements