Anyone mow without the deck guard?..
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Anyone mow without the deck guard?..

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 10:29 AM
    Thanks

Anyone mow without the deck guard?..

Ok, hear me out before the safety police beat down my door (ha!).. I love the cut from my 54" deck.. The problem is, its too good!.. I have never had wind rows from cutting like this before.. I know, I know.. I can leave the grass longer but I like it short.. Not that short really.. I keep it at about 3 inches.. I didn't have the guard on the 46" deck on my 318 and it worked fine and rarely gave me wind rows as it was able to launch the grass and spread it out vs leaving a row of clippings.. Occasionally I'd have a problem with the tractor that would prevent me from cutting one weekend here or there and the grass would get extra long, (another reason for stepping up to a new tractor) and I would get some rows left behind.. When it happened, I would simply raise the deck with the blades spinning when I was done mowing and run down the rows of clippings.. The deck would vaccume up the clippings and spray them out like a fan.. Problem solved.. However.. This 1 series deck cuts so much grass on every pass that I think windrowing is going to be unavoidable and its largly due to the cover at the end of the deck that does not allow the grass to fly.. I suppose the only way to know if its better with out the guard is to try it.. Just wondering if anyone else has taken it off.. If so, Good?, bad?, no difference?..
    Last edited by golf12; 05-20-2014 at 07:50 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:40 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,328 Times in 2,601 Posts
    Taking the discharge deflector off will help some, but the best improvement I found was using Gator blades. They all but eliminate windrows unless the grass is stupid tall.
    PaDave likes this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:50 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 2,948 Posts
    First thing I did on our mowers is take off the deflector. Both of our bigger mowers we have now came with steel deflectors and it was either take them off in the beginning or rip them off later by hitting something.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 09:57 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Taking the discharge deflector off will help some, but the best improvement I found was using Gator blades. They all but eliminate windrows unless the grass is stupid tall.
    This has been my experience also. Love those Gator blades!

Rich
    2012 1026R TLB, Countyline 3pt splitter, EMP QA Snowplow.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:11 AM
    Thanks
    x2 on the gator blades.

Golf12. I myself have battled the same issue for 3 years with my 62D deck and windrow. Even with the guard raised, i battled them all last year. (I know, growing lawn issues, poor me). This year I added a set of G6 gator blades and they have made a huge improvement. This past weekend I attempted to mow with the guard back in place and the windrows returned, only for 2 passes though because the guard when right back into its raised position.
    Maybe after the spring grow season things will slow down a bit and the guard can return to his "safe" position.

Quote Originally Posted by RichBaxter View Post
    This has been my experience also. Love those Gator blades!

Rich

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 10:40 AM
    Thanks
    I drilled a hold out near the edge of my guard and put a rope through the hole and ran the rope up to near the steering wheel. Now when ever the guard gives me problems, I just pull the rope to raise the guard. I had it off the first year I had my 445 and slung a couple of stones through the basement windows so I kind of like it on when I am near the house. Those double pane windows are not cheap. Away from the house I sometimes tie the guard in the raised position and have no problems. That was the first mod I did to the 1026R 54" Deck and have not looked back wether I am using the new tractor or the old 445.
    1994 JD 445 with 54" MMM
    2012 JD 1026R with FEL, 54" MMM, I-Match, King Kutter 4' Flex Hitch Rotary Kutter L-48-40-P-FH, JD Ballast Box.
    47" Snow Blower, 54" Front Blade, Fits Both Tractors Quick Hitch
    Tektite Cab to the 1026R

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 11:15 PM
    Thanks
    Simple answer and solution is the mulch kit. Works great no clippings left and allows you to safely remove the deflector.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    05-12-2015 @ 12:50 PM
    Thanks
    I use a bungie cord to hold my discharge deflector raised most of the time. Can unhook it easy enough if I am worried about throwing anything.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:50 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schiker View Post
    I use a bungie cord to hold my discharge deflector raised most of the time. Can unhook it easy enough if I am worried about throwing anything.
    Me too.

I like to let it down later in the season when the grass doesn't grow as fast and is lighter.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 10:29 AM
    Thanks
    ok.. that decides it.. Off with the deflector!. I'll start with the easiest and cheapest solution and just remove it.. If I'm not happy I'll try the gator blades or maybe the mulch kit.. Thanks for the input guys..

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast