Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: 1025 side hill

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-03-2019 @ 03:39 PM
    Thanks

1025 side hill

Looking for a little info. Our property is not extremely hilly, nor are the hills overly steep. However whenever possible I try to go straight up or down the hills. Sometimes I do need to change direction on the hills and there is enough of a slope to make me pretty nervous. I've read with other tractors that dual rear tires make a huge improvement on side hill stability. I cannot find an option for duals on the 1025 and I cannot find any info on anyone that's done it yet. The fact is that I'm going to have to side hill some times. I hope that the rops and the seatbelt would save me if there is a problem, but I pray that I NEVER need to test that.

Some things I already do is keep the bucket as lightly loaded as possible and keep it almost touching the ground when on the hill. I make the side hill turns to a minimum and make them as slow as possible to get a constant feel for stability. I do not have my tires filled, but could do that if that helps lower the center of gravity. Any more weight on the tractor is going to cause problems too, because some areas, when muddy, stay muddy for quite some time. I'm thinking that going with the duals would also help float me more when conditions are muddy.

If the thought here is that duals is the way to go with this I guess I'll call the dealer to see what they could do for me. What does everyone think?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Never seem duals on a 1 series. It could be done, but would require some custom fabrication. Do you have fluid in your tires or wheel weights? Both of those will do wonders to improve your stability on hills.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Nope, no weights or filled tires. Was considering that as an option too.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    I've got my rears filled with Rimguard (according to dealer 110lb in each) and I have been really impressed with the side-hill stability of the tractor, however I don't have the loader or anything other than the mowing deck installed when I'm going along the hills sideways. I'll have to go out and measure the hill - my old lawn tractor used to lift the upper tire unless I leaned uphill.

I also shift into 4wd low when I'm going along the side hill.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    -Scott-

2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

You don't have to outrun the bear......just the other campers

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    You may not be as dumb/adventuresome as I, but here's what I did first time out with the 1026r/54D. I already knew my GX335's limitations on my side hills, I haven't dumped it in 10 years, slid sideways some, but never actually lifted the uphill wheel.

I drove the 1026 onto the side hill on a point that was about ½ of the steepest angle. I rolled ahead slowly letting my "SOPI" (Seat Of Pants Indicator) indicator give me feedback and stopped in the middle of the steepest part and shut down the engine. "Wiggle, wiggle", nothing. Tried again more agressively, "WIGGLE, WIGGLE!" while yanking on the uphill handle. Still solid. Started the engine, engaged 4WD and turned down the slope with nary a slip.

The 1026/54D is far more secure feeling on that slope, sideways, up and down hill using appropriate 4WD and/or DiffLock. (Must remember to take it out of both of those to turn at the bottom or top!!!) My machine is equipped w/R4 tires, "Turfs" results may vary and always test on DRY grass.

Some put all their trust in a "Slope Angle Gauge", but you have to go out on a hill and find the roll center first anyway so you know what degree of angle is actually the cut off. I'll put my SOPI against any gauge, once I've tested a hill I'm home free...
    etcallhome likes this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    07-28-2019 @ 12:32 PM
    Thanks

Widen the tractor

You could move the tires out and thereby widen the stance. Take a tape measure and measure the distance from the outside of the rim to the rim bolts on the inside and the outside. If the inside measurement is bigger, than swap the left side tires for the right and you will have a more stable tractor. Note that your tractor MAY now be wider than some of your implements and that might be a problem depending on the situation.

9. Top | #7
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam-Canada View Post
    You could move the tires out and thereby widen the stance. Take a tape measure and measure the distance from the outside of the rim to the rim bolts on the inside and the outside. If the inside measurement is bigger, than swap the left side tires for the right and you will have a more stable tractor. Note that your tractor MAY now be wider than some of your implements and that might be a problem depending on the situation.
    The one series tractors already have the rims installed in the wide position. I don't think they can be installed any other way.
    HydroHarold likes this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

10. Top | #8
    rgd
    Last Online
    02-18-2019 @ 10:52 AM
    Thanks
    Dadgummit.....you guys!

You're supposed to encourage him putting on duals!!! I think it would be cool as heck. May even approach suave and debonair territory

As well as being so much more better in the soft ground, chicks will dig it, too!
    Last edited by rgd; 05-21-2014 at 07:45 PM.
    JD 2520 TLB
    JD gt 275

Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:26 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,178 Times in 835 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rgd View Post
    Dadgummit.....you guys!

You're supposed to encourage him putting on duals!!! I think it would be cool as heck. May even approach suave and debonair territory

As well as being so much more better in the soft ground, chicks will dig it, too!
    The guys with backhoes have had to invest in wheel spacers if they want to use chains. I think they put the wheels out 1" per side. That will give you a bit more width to work with.

As others have stated, Fluid in the tires or wheel weights give you a good bit more stability. If you have muddy areas the wheel weights could be removed if needed for those chores.

I'd like to see the duals.... You might have zilch for traction, but it would look pretty cool!

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    I think it would look cool too. I was kind of hoping that everyone would say duals is the only way to go. Then I could tell my wife I have to do this, it's only for safety.

I guess I should start with the filled tires or weights first to see if it feels more stable.

Thanks for the input.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast