Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 1025R air filter strap is broken

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-17-2019 @ 12:34 AM
    Thanks

1025R air filter strap is broken

On my 2016 FILB the rubber strap over the air filter has cracked and torn almost completely through at the outboard clip that hooks the strap to the metal bracket. A quick call to my dealer service manager says it's covered under warranty and they'll have one for me this coming Monday - none are in stock. This dealer has 5 locations and this part's not in stock? Good service department, but a flimsy over -stressed under designed part like this should be in stock in at least one store.

Anyone else have this strap break at or before 230 hrs? Just wondering...
    Last edited by Minuteman17; 11-02-2017 at 12:36 AM.
    2016 1025R FILB with Flames, iMatch, 647 tiller, 2048 heavy box blade, LP20840 Sprayer, SS1036B spreader, Fit Rite Top 'n Tilt, 54" MMM & BM 0827 mulch kit, Mower Deck Axles & Wheels, Loyal 4x4 drag harrow, Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks, BXpanded BH dolly & Piranha tooth bar, Heavy Hitch ripper with 8" & 12" plows, Suitcase Weight & Receiver Hitch, Front Weight Bracket, 8 x 42# weights, Artillian 36" forks with backrest & hitch receiver, hood & side panel sound insulation. And a Smile!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:47 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Minuteman17 View Post
    On my 2016 FILB the rubber strap over the air filter has cracked and torn almost completely through at the outboard clip that hooks the strap to the metal bracket. A quick call to my dealer service manager says it's covered under warranty and they'll have one for me this coming Monday - none are in stock. This dealer has 5 locations and this part's not in stock? Good service department, but a flimsy over -stressed under designed part like this should be in stock in at least one store.

Mine broke in the exact same way. I brought my busted strap to the dealer. They didn't have one in stock, and gave me one off of a brand new tractor on the lot. Stellar service right there!
    I had right around 100 hours on mine (it was exactly 1 year old).
    Levi and PJR832 like this.
    2016 1025R TLB (Marshawn) with Piranha tooth bar
    HLA 42" Forks
    Frontier LR2060L Landscape rake
    2019 X370 mowing machine with snowblower attachment
    County Line 3 point log splitter (Mr. Splitty)
    Cyclone Rake super sucker
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer
    Stihl BR430 backpack blower
    1998 Yamaha 4-stroke golf car (Tedy Bruschi)

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Thanks
    Mine broke in the same way @100hrs in the meter at the time. Got a smidge if slack covering it under warranty, but I was pretty assertive and my parts guy threw it in for free when I bought all my filters/oils, I think the parts guy thought it was crap it broke and wanted me taken care of.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Levi and PJR832 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:53 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Minuteman17 View Post

Dealers (and not just Deere) are like that these days. No one wants to carry inventory on their dime. Once the part is at the dealers, it's theirs.
    Levi, coaltrain and PJR832 like this.
    Glen

Current Fleet

2017 - JD 1025R w/260B backhoe
    2018 - JD 1025R w/Mauser Cab

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-17-2019 @ 12:34 AM
    Thanks
    I have now wrapped over the rubber strap with a 1" wide Velcro strap. This gives me peace of mind. If the rubber breaks, I'll use just the Velcro strap.
    SulleyBear, PJR832 and Fozsey like this.
    2016 1025R FILB with Flames, iMatch, 647 tiller, 2048 heavy box blade, LP20840 Sprayer, SS1036B spreader, Fit Rite Top 'n Tilt, 54" MMM & BM 0827 mulch kit, Mower Deck Axles & Wheels, Loyal 4x4 drag harrow, Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks, BXpanded BH dolly & Piranha tooth bar, Heavy Hitch ripper with 8" & 12" plows, Suitcase Weight & Receiver Hitch, Front Weight Bracket, 8 x 42# weights, Artillian 36" forks with backrest & hitch receiver, hood & side panel sound insulation. And a Smile!

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:53 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,432 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gls1320 View Post
    Dealers (and not just Deere) are like that these days. No one wants to carry inventory on their dime. Once the part is at the dealers, it's theirs.
    My Deere dealer has been exceptional in their parts inventory over the years. In fact, in all of the years I have dealt with them, they either had the part in stock or could get, sometimes even the same day, usually the next day for sure. I had one part which was on order and that part took 8 months to come in because of the changing in supplier sourcing for that part. This was the only time in 25 years that I have had this happen.

My parts guy showed me where there system keeps track of all the parts sold and the frequency and also works with an inventory list which Deere suggests the dealer maintain. So, in theory, once the dealer has sold one of these broken straps (to stay with the OP's story line) there should be a replacement part ordered for it since the part would show up as a late model part replaced under warranty. Now, the dealer would be able to over ride this and block the ordering if it was an exceptional case where the part was needed, but otherwise, the parts would be available either in their inventory or at least in their region.

Based upon what I have seen, once the dealer sells one for a newer tractor due to warranty, they will likely be stocking the part going forward. Also, it could be out of stock because someone else broke their strap and the part in inventory was sold, now putting the replacement part on order.........based upon ordering frequency, the system would now suggest at least 2 be kept in stock.

When I am undertaking a project on my older tractor and trying to get the parts in advance, when I rebuilt the rear end assembly and the Hydrostatic drive unit, I had a list of part numbers and as I ran them past the parts guy, he could tell me if they ever ordered these parts before. One part was the rear axle bearings on my 455. I knew I wanted to replace the rear axle seals, but I had him check on the frequency of having sold the actual axle bearings and race. In the history of their dealership, they had NEVER sold THAT bearing, but did sell several seals. I bought only the seals and sure enough, when I got in there, the bearings were good and only the seals needed replacing. This has been very helpful for making sure I have what i need so I can tear down, make the repairs and get it back together.

There is a cost for dealers to not have the parts in stock. It means slower turn around in the Service Department, down machinery, technicians moving equipment around while waiting for parts, unhappy customers, delays in cash flow from service invoices being paid when awaiting parts, etc., etc.........

Now my friend who bought a Mahindra found that his dealer doesn't even stock the filters for his machine......They had to order the filters and it took 7 days to do an engine and hydro service change on his new 45 hp Mahindra. I have NEVER heard of that happening at a Deere dealer.
    RetiredDoc and Fozsey like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    My metal bracket cracked, and the rubber strap broke as well, at approximately 100 hours. Neither part was in stock at any of the 5 dealership locations in my area. I now have over 250 hours on the replaced parts. I had the "new" style bracket from the beginning.
    PJR832 likes this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Thanks
    I had my strap fall off, found it just lying there under the tractor. The wire bale at the end of the strap had widened and come out of the rubber. I simply put the wire back on and squeezed it shut.

I also had to re-tighten the bracket.
    1025r TLB, 54" Bucket, R4 Tires (metal valve stems!) with Beet Juice, 60D Mower Deck - mechanical lift, 42" Titan Pallet Forks w/Bale spear, 54" ETA Box Blade, 72" ETA Landscape Rake, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks and Diff pedal extension, Piranha Tooth Bar and psrumor's Seat Springs

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:51 PM
    Thanks
    I follow John Deere on Facebook, a while back they had a video on changing the air filter. I commented that they should do something about that horrible metal strap and rubber strap that break, and that it's a common issue. I then had other people adding to my comment about them breaking on their 1025s, including a guy who was very unhappy about how his dealer handled it. Eventually the JD person that runs their page started commenting on my post add giving these guys instructions to contact their corporate customer service.

Maybe eventually they'll get the hint and redesign it completely?
    1984 JD 316 w/ cat 0 3-pt hitch and 2000 rpm pto, 48" tiller, 49" snowblower, 42" belly mower
    2015 JD 1025r, 60d MMM, 54" front mounted snowblower, Heavy hitch, Ballast box
    1980 JD 1050 4wd, JD 75 loader, IH 60" brush hog
    1980? Satoh S550g Elk, 60" belly mower
    McCulloch Saws - 1970's Mini Mac 30; Mac 10-10
    1978 Ariens Sno-Thro 32"; Troy-Bilt 24" snoblower
    1996 Polaris 680 Ultra Snowmobile, 2004 Yamaha Raptor 660, 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570
    1996 KTM EXC 300
    Gravely ZT-HD 60"

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    09-09-2019 @ 09:43 AM
    Thanks
    Mine broke to but I've been running it without the rubber strap for quite a while now. It's a lot quieter when I shut the engine down.
    I checked it out good and have been. The violence that the air cleaner cartridge suffers when strapped to the engine was to much for me to stand.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast