Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Snow Time: R4 Tires or Turfs?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 01:41 PM
    Thanks

Snow Time: R4 Tires or Turfs?

As usual, I'm running behind for my winter prep for the tractor. We have had a very late dropping of the leaves and I've been busy with that and other things like pulling a walnut log out of the hollar' (see pic) As I get ready to do my winter prep, I'm wondering which tires might be best for snow duty? I have both R4 and Turf tires mounted on their own wheels and I've only used the R4 in the past. I use my 54" blade most of the time but with a good base on the driveway (over 1000 feet of gravel) and an unusually heavy snow (say six inches or better) I will use the 54" blower. I've got the ballast box loaded nice and heavy so there's plenty of grunt weight on the back and I do not use chains. Anyone have experience with both tires in the snow?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20171202_142513-2.jpg  
    pcabe5 and PJR832 like this.
    joe white

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-02-2018 @ 09:17 PM
    Thanks
    From my experiences, on the sub compact size tractors R4s are probably better than R3s. BUT, 2320/2025 and up to old style 2032s, the R3s are far superior for snow. On my 2520 I have both R3s and R4s. The rear r4s are filled and they suck for snow. When I put my non filled R3s on, they will run circles around the R4s.
    DWHOT, Herminator, PJR832 and 1 others like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:28 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 977 Posts
    I had R3s (turf) on my old 2320. On the 1026R, I have R4s. I grooved my R4s last winter and what a difference it made! Now, my R4s have 500 hours on them and are 6 years old. If your R4s are newer, they should be good, mine got worse in the snow and ice as time wore on. However, I think the turfs were better overall winter tires. My surfaces are all asphalt and concrete, that can get slippery. We also have MFWD on these 1 series too.
    pcabe5 and PJR832 like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 06:34 PM
    Thanks
    There are a few factors to consider. Your luck to have both sets mounted and RTR. If you are speaking of comparing the oem r3 deere supplies on the 1 series and up, then yes they are better loaded or unloaded when compared to the r4.
    Surface area is closer to that of a snow tire with good siping.
    R4s are blocky, which is great for soft surface grip, good cleanout but poor ground contouring on hard surfaces.

I plow with my 1 series with front bucket or rear 60” blower with no traction issues. My boss and father have larger tractors. Dad can only plow with his r4s using chains, and the boss has rear chains on his r3s, but no rear ballast box when using a loader mounted blade..... so some considerations would be weight / balance in your configuration....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PJR832 likes this.
    1025R-H120 FEL, AUTO CONNECT 52"MMM, BALLAST BOX, 60" 3PT SNOWBLOWER, 52" 3PT SWEEPER, TOW BEHIND YORK RAKE, 3PT QUICK HITCH

Mods- Rops aux LED lighting, LED headlight & fender & hazard conversions, PTO reverse switch mod, MMM custom rubber discharge chute, snowblower impeller mod, snowblower electric chute rotator, custom snowblower skid shoes, custom sweeper park stands.

7. Top | #5
    KBE

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:16 PM
    Thanks
    I have experience with both but on different tractors (of comparable size and weight) using a ballast box and FEL. Hands down, the turf tires are superior. That has been true for me in heavy snow and ice and on gravel, concrete and asphalt.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:03 AM
    Thanks
    I run turfs....it’s all I have....never had any real traction issues w a 47” snowblower.
    Rears are filled, mostly asphalt.
    Last edited by fdmars; 12-06-2017 at 08:08 AM.
    cowboy bp likes this.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    07-27-2019 @ 09:14 AM
    Thanks
    I would say turf all day long for snow on hard surface.

There are substantial discussions on this around the web. Prior to buying my 1025, I did a bunch of research and concluded turf out performs other tires for turf and snow. R4 is the jack of all trade tire but not great at any one thing. The ags with full lugs are the best for traction off road and worst on your turf. Slap chains on any of them and they will beat any non-chain tire but will kill your tar.

My dad has r4's on his kabota and struggles from time to time. It's a much bigger machine too. He had ags on his previous tractor and it also wasn't as good in snow (on asphalt).
    PJR832 likes this.
    2017 1025R sporting turfs, 54" snowblower with remote chute kit, 54" auto connect MMM with mulch kit, H120 loader, 42" Titan forks, coolant heater and Original Tractor Cab.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    03-06-2019 @ 01:58 PM
    Thanks
    Keep whatever tires you already have and invest in a set of snow chains instead. They'll work great on either tire type. You won't regret it.
    Ray_PA and PJR832 like this.
    2014 1025R, 60" MMM, 54" Plow blade, BB2048L Box Blade, 17P utility cart

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-09-2019 @ 08:18 AM
    Thanks

Turf Tires

I will run Turf Tires all the time in Winter, I'm on flat ground no hills. I have a had NO issues pushing / Pulling or blowing SNOW. I have a set of tire chains for when the ICE hits other than that I don't need to put them on at all. I have bigger tractor at the farm with R4 style tires and need to put chains on those tractors all the time.

Last year we received 11 inches of snow fall in one day I had time to play and put on the front blade rear bad and snow thrower. My best set up for my situation is Rear blade with Front Snow thrower. I had no issues pushing / pulling or blowing that 11 inches of snow last year on that day.
    genesusie likes this.
    John Deere 2016 1025 R with R3 Turf Tires, LED Work Lights, Rear 3rd selective vavle
    60 D mower With Mulch Kit with Independent lift
    H120 Loader with AF 12 Forks
    Rear Ballast Box, Front weights 5 at 42 LBS each
    Quick I-Match with 3pt tractor receiver.
    Land Pride RB 1660 with Hydraulic angle
    Tractor Supply RT4 Tractor Line Rototiller Tarter Equipment.
    54" Quick connect Front Blade, Snow Thrower.

Replaced 128 and 149 1970's Cub Cadets.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 01:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll give the R3 a try. I'm in the middle of my winter prep and hope to have my little Deere all decked out in it's winter clothes by tomorrow evening. Picked up some LED lights for the rear and hope to have them wired and functional too. We have a 2 to 3 inches predicted by morning and an additional lake effect snow during the day so by late in the day, I'll need to clear some snow. I bought a horse stall mat at TSC and plan to cut a scraper for the blade too. Argh, so much to do but at least it's warm and dry in the garage.
    fdmars, ColonyPark and cowboy bp like this.
    joe white

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast