Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree356Likes

Thread: To push or blow snow

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:49 PM
    Thanks

To push or blow snow

I'm looking at a 1025r right now. The dealer is getting aggressive on pricing to try and move stuff for end of year. The only thing in my mind is the blower vs the 54" plow with angle.

I have an x324 with the 44" snow blower on it now and live in the Rochester, NY metro area. We get snow between 3" and 3' (per storm, between 3 - 8 storms /year). The 44" in blower does a great job, the issue is that the x324 doesn't have a locking differential and is a bit light in the rear-end, so I will end up spinning quite a bit. The dealer has a great deal on a 'back-room' plow with angle kit for the 1025r, or I could go for the snowblower at a... less generous price.

I'm somewhat sold on the snowblower from a performance perspective. I have a 160 foot driveway with a 40'x40' turn around. Just curious if you all have an opinion on the blower vs. plow and how it'll perform in mid to heavy snow on a 1025r.

Thanks all!
    Last edited by scooterman; 12-07-2017 at 12:43 PM.
    Levi, BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:48 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 1,097 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterman View Post
    I'm looking at a 1025r right now. The dealer is getting aggressive on pricing to try and move stuff for end of year. The only thing in my mind is the blower vs the 54" plow with angle.

I have an x324 with the 44" snow blower on it now and live in the Rochester, NY metro area. We get snow between 3" and 3' (per storm, between 3 - 8 storms /year). The 44" in blower does a great job, the issue is that the x324 doesn't have a locking differential and is a bit light in the rear-end, so I will end up spinning quite a bit. The dealer has a great deal on a 'back-room' plow with angle kit for the 1025r, or I could go for the snowblower at a... less generous price.

I'm somewhat sold on the snowblower from a performance perspective. I have a 160 foot driveway with a 40'x40' turn around. Just curious if you all have an opinion on the blower vs. plow and how it'll perform in mid to heavy snow on a 1025r.

Thanks all!
    just my 2cts-but where u live at--me-i'dl go for the blower. if u go for the blade ur gonna run out of room to push ur snow. IMO.
    pcabe5, Doug, chex313 and 7 others like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim55 For This Useful Post:

scooterman†(12-07-2017)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,089 Times in 2,254 Posts
    There are a few members here that are in the same or similar lake snow zones. They will chime in I am sure.

For heavy snow a blower can’t be beat I feel. With a plow on the chassis (not on the loader) you will soon have piles of snow that will turn into concrete. With a blower you are getting the snow away from the edges of the driveway.

An important factor in the decision is if you have a paved driveway or gravel/dirt.

Buy it right and buy it once.
    ColonyPark, chex313, Levi and 6 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

6. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

scooterman†(12-07-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    An important factor in the decision is if you have a paved driveway or gravel/dirt.
    Paved the whole way

Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    There are a few members here that are in the same or similar lake snow zones. They will chime in I am sure.

For heavy snow a blower canít be beat I feel. With a plow on the chassis (not on the loader) you will soon have piles of snow that will turn into concrete. With a blower you are getting the snow away from the edges of the driveway.

Buy it right and buy it once.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking too. If Deere had a loader mounted (quick switch) plow like the Orange fellas do, then I'd be a bit more inclined to go with a blade.
    chex313, Levi, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,549 Times in 1,270 Posts
    I agree with Stan and BigJim, where you are, I'd get the blower. I plow but I also don't get the lake effect you do.
    pcabe5, chex313, Levi and 4 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PJR832 For This Useful Post:

scooterman†(12-07-2017)

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    08-14-2019 @ 08:46 AM
    Thanks
    I moved from Syracuse to Rochester. I had a 47 blower on my x758 - that thing was awesome - never lost traction, I had no weight on the back of the machine and just the stock HDAP tires did awesome. It moved snow like a beast, I used to do my neighbors' driveways because of how effective it was.

Get the blower - moving parts, yes, but it moves the snow effortlessly and then you're not scraping up your yard or running out of room when the big one hits.

How long is your driveway? If it's not that long, maybe consider any cat 1 3 pt hitch snowblower? Theyre a lot cheaper, many more manufacturer options too! If it's a long driveway, my neck is cramping up thinking about cranking my head around for very long to look behind me. Just read more of your post - YEAH, get the snowblower, that's a lot of snow to push into a pile! And get the front mounted blower. I would suggest getting the biggest one they have. It will save you time. Which Landpro office you dealing with?

Are you considering a cab at all? There are soft and hard cab options, some can be had in the 800-1000 range, then the hard ones can be up in the 3-4-5k range

Thanks all!
    chex313, Levi, BigJim55 and 5 others like this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jermedic For This Useful Post:

scooterman†(12-07-2017)

13. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Thanks

Yeah, this is what I was thinking too. If Deere had a loader mounted (quick switch) plow like the Orange fellas do, then I'd be a bit more inclined to go with a blade.
    Like this?
    Click image for larger version.†

Name:	r4d091819_Frontier60-InchFrontBlade-642x462.jpg†
Views:	41†
Size:	114.2 KB†
ID:	503434
    https://www.deere.com/en_US/products...nt-blades.page

I'd go with a loader mounted snow push or blade and a 3pt snowblower.
    chex313, Levi, BigJim55 and 5 others like this.

14. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jermedic View Post
    I moved from Syracuse to Rochester. I had a 47 blower on my x758 - that thing was awesome - never lost traction, I had no weight on the back of the machine and just the stock HDAP tires did awesome. It moved snow like a beast, I used to do my neighbors' driveways because of how effective it was.
    You say used to... what machine did you move to? In addition to my driveway, I do 4 neighbors as well (all similarly sized).

Get the blower - moving parts, yes, but it moves the snow effortlessly and then you're not scraping up your yard or running out of room when the big one hits.

How long is your driveway? If it's not that long, maybe consider any cat 1 3 pt hitch snowblower? Theyre a lot cheaper, many more manufacturer options too! If it's a long driveway, my neck is cramping up thinking about cranking my head around for very long to look behind me. Just read more of your post - YEAH, get the snowblower, that's a lot of snow to push into a pile! And get the front mounted blower. I would suggest getting the biggest one they have. It will save you time. Which Landpro office you dealing with?
    Brockport office, it's where I picked up my x324 as well. I'm actually a bit frustrated with what they're offering me on trade, I'm headed in to discuss the issue with them. This all may be a moot point if they can't stand behind a machine they sold 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by jermedic View Post
    Are you considering a cab at all? There are soft and hard cab options, some can be had in the 800-1000 range, then the hard ones can be up in the 3-4-5k range
    Probably not to start. I'd love it, but I plan on mowing with it too. It looks like a bit too much effort to pull the cab off for the summer. I've got a good set of Carhartts to keep me warm as it is now. Besides, the boss will only accept so much of a monthly payment for a "...giant toy..."
    Last edited by scooterman; 12-07-2017 at 01:46 PM.
    Levi, BigJim55, mark02tj and 3 others like this.

15. Top | #9

Last Online
    08-14-2019 @ 08:46 AM
    Thanks
    I had a postage stamp lot in Syracuse, I wanted a 1025R at the time but my boss wouldn't allow it, she narrowly approved the x758. Fast forward a couple years and a different property that needed loader and backhoe, and I had to sell my x758 at a significant loss and buy the machine I wanted originally.

People talk about x758 and 1025R being so similar - the operator station and chassis size is similar but otherwise these two machines have very different utility and functionality.

Check out the soft cabs by OMC and Seismik for 1025R - they're light weight and supposedly easy to take on and off. I do not have a cab, but I contract out my plowing (and thus my new neighbors don't get my services). They even have heaters optional!

A lot easier to roll a removable cab into a payment at zero percent as opposed to cash later

I had a great experience with Andrew at the Avon location

You say used to... what machine did you move to? In addition to my driveway, I do 4 neighbors as well (all similarly sized).

Brockport office, it's where I picked up my x324 as well. I'm actually a bit frustrated with what they're offering me on trade, I'm headed in to discuss the issue with them. This all may be a moot point if they can't stand behind a machine they sold 2 years ago.

Probably not to start. I'd love it, but I plan on mowing with it too. It looks like a bit too much effort to pull the cab off for the summer. I've got a good set of Carhartts to keep me warm as it is now. Besides, the boss will only accept so much of a monthly payment for a "...giant toy..."
    Levi, wildbranch2007 and PJR832 like this.

16. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,089 Times in 2,254 Posts
    There are a few options for a loader mounted blade. I didnít keep any bookmarks but some others will hopefully chime in.

Here is a very nice summary of the options for snow removal for the sub-compacts -

1-Series Snow Removal Options - Tractor Time with Tim
    chex313, Levi, Tractor Tim and 1 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

17. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

Tractor Tim†(12-11-2017)

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast