First Impressions of Plowing Snow with my new 1025r and Cab
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree1132Likes

Thread: First Impressions of Plowing Snow with my new 1025r and Cab

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:55 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,430 Posts

First Impressions of Plowing Snow with my new 1025r and Cab

Well, today was the first test of my new 1025R machine's snow plowing acumen. Here are my impressions.

Mauser Cab
    WOW......That's all I can say. Well, not ALL I can say, but I certainly have to start with WOW.......

It was in the mid to upper 20's today here with a 20 plus mph wind and a fall jacket required me to keep turning the blower motor for the heat off as it would get too warm in the cab. Even with the 2 speed blower fan, I didn't need the fan blowing continuously, for sure. I will wear my new "Shirt Jacket" from Duluth Trading as it should be about right. If necessary, I can just hang the Shirt Jacket on the coat hook in the corner of the cab. Plus, Mrs. Bear really hates my old trusty work coat and keeps pleading with me to "retire it".....Not yet, dear, but soon, I promise.

The mirrors on the cab are great and provide real assistance when backing. Plus the mirrors are tucked in and don't stick out when you are walking around the tractor. Their shape provides real good viewing ranges.

Front and rear Windshield wipers are great.

The back up camera is even better. The visibility in the camera is better as the image isn't impacted by shadows and changing light. I give the back up monitor a 100 on a scale of 1 to 100. In fact, I use the monitor much more often than the rear view mirrors already. I can see exactly where my rear carry all platform is in the monitor, which is very handy.

I was so excited to be plowing snow, I forgot to turn on the radio for the first half hour. There is just something "right" about plowing snow to AC/DC.

Overall, the cab was a phenomenal experience. Surprisingly, I have already received several very positive comments from those for whom I plow snow who came out of their homes to see the new rig. Several of them said that they had "Worried about me" being out in the elements for several hours at a time and were glad I was now in a nice, climate controlled environment.

The first to say that was a nice neighbor lady whom I didn't really know well until last winter, when she allowed me to come into her home last winter when my eye lids were frozen in place and the lashes were frozen to one another and my glasses were iced to my face and I had to use a hot paper towel to melt all of the ice. That was the most extreme I have experienced in 25 years of plowing and blowing snow. It also made an impression on my wife which led her to PLEAD with me to just buy the cab. Very glad I did.

Traction without Chains

So far, so good. In fact, I didn't even put the tractor in 4 wheel drive, yet.....I have 300 plus pounds on the carry all plus the weight of the cab, me. etc. Will I need to add chains? Perhaps. But first I will try my "Terra Grip Traction Strips" which are the rubber ones before I move onto the actual chains. We did have a fair amount of ice today and plowing the driveway with the 10 degree grade didn't spin a tire, but snow accumulations were light with just a few inches. I fully expect to see this change over the winter.

The 54" Plow Set Up

Let's just say that it's a good thing I bought a new 54" plow with the set up as the 1025r with the front quick attach hitch is very disappointingly LOW to the ground. I bet my 455 will lift the blade nearly a foot higher than will the 1025r with the front quick hitch. In fact, I couldn't pick up my custom made blade off a pallet with extra 5/4's deck boards under the plow as the lifting height wouldn't clear the pallet height. That's absurd.

That was the only time I was cussing at the set up today as I find the quick attach blade lifting height limitations ridiculous and a major failure on Deere's part, to be honest. My 22 year old lawn tractor has a greater lifting height than this new 1025R SCUT. That's something Deere needs to work on and I strongly suggest they develop a front 3 point hitch for these 1 series ASAP to address these constraints.

I was shocked at how low to the ground the entire plow set up is and I was very disappointed in it's limited lifting height as designed. I can tell you that a Artillian loader Plate and Diverter valve are very likely in my immediate future.

Huge Problem

I have to plow with the 54" blade as my custom built 7' 3" wide plow can't angle on the 1025R quick hitch because of the limited lifting height and the low mounting height on the front of the tractor. I plowed with the 7' 3" width plow with the rubber squeege plow edge and top rolling flap for the last 5 years on my 455 and became so used to it, that I could plow snow in driveways and typical residential constrained areas as fast as a pick up truck because of my maneuvering ability to plow snow in both directions very quickly, verses the plow trucks spending all of the time backing up, which doesn't push any snow. So, by having to go back to the 54" plow, I am losing 33 inches of plow clearing width per pass, which is HUGE.

The Artillian set up should allow me.... to most likely resume using my larger plow as I SHOULDN'T have the plow lifting height constraints and plow angling issues with the front frame mounted Quick attach issue. Granted, seat time is fun in the cab, but I feel like my plowing ability has been "neutered" to a large extent because of the drastic reduction in the width of a plowing pass. ....I want the size equipment I have become accustomed to using restored for use ASAP....... ( FYI, I removed from the description my reference to historical actions by Lorena Bobbitt to keep things rated G)......

I had everything down to a science of how many passes to plow each drive and road surfaces and losing 33" puts me back into the "old days" and frankly, I didn't spend this much money to go back to plowing less snow. SO, it looks like a call to Artillian is in the works......I should have just ordered it earlier, but I could successfully plow with my 455 with the larger plow and I wanted to see how the new tractor would handle it. Bottom line, with the front quick attach hitch, it doesn't handle the larger plow.......Live and learn.

Summary Impressions

If I could use the custom made plow on the 1025R which I have used for the last several years on the 455, I would have felt like today's snow plowing was truly a home run. Instead, I hit a stand up triple..........which is still huge success.

Fortunately, it appears that I can solve this dilemma and I will very soon. My plowing efficiency with the controls will take a little time as I was so used to the levers at the steering wheel for controlling plow operations and now I am on the joy stick, but that issue will be moot when the muscle memory learns the new controls.

Also, I stored the removed FEL on dolly's in my garage and while there is some room, I don't like clutter so putting the FEL back on the tractor and using it to plow snow will also solve the FEL storage issue within the garage. So that is a win / win as well.

The one neighbor, who launched me into the driveway plowing "business" with his request I plow his driveway many years ago, was eager to see my new rig set up. He came outside and looked my tractor all over and he was really impressed. He is a retired executive and truly a great guy with a very lovely wife. They are getting up there is years now and I make sure to take good care of them. I stop buy and take their trash container to the curb and bring it back up later on trash day. I get the mail and take it to their door everyday whenever there is any snow or ice.

I use more snow melt on their 10 degree driveway grade and home entrance area, etc. than I use on all of the other plow customers. I don't want to see these people fall or have any issues as a serious injury could mean losing a great neighbor to a different living facility, and I want to avoid that as long as possible.

He also made a comment about worrying about me sitting out in the elements for 2 or 3 hours at a time like I have for the last many years and was glad to see me in the cab. I noticed he was looking my tractor over closely and finally he pointed at the pivoting safety light and said "Oh, GREAT! I really like the flashing safety light you have used for years as I know where you are in the neighborhood. Also, when I see the reflection of the light in my house, I know my driveway is clear and I can get in and out without any problems."

I asked him if the light bothered him or his wife and he emphatically replied "Oh, heaven's no. We like the light so please don't turn it off or stop using it. It's reassuring to know that we can get in and out safely once I see the light flashing through the windows." I offered to turn it off while in his driveway so I didn't wake them or bother them and he insisted that I keep using the light.

He was also very impressed with all of my LED lighting for plowing. He said "You light up the roadway like a jumbo jet landing at the airport", he commented......So, I continue to have a big fan in this neighbor. He did ask me if I would mind telling him what the entire rig cost and when i told him, he looked surprised, but said "It certainly is very, very nice." I agree.

I plan to make Go Pro video's of my plowing so I can post them. Since I spend a lot of time also plowing the private roads and cul de sac, I was plowing in High and at WOT most of the time. If my larger plow worked on this configuration, I would have been like .........Really in my element and happy as a John Deere Scut Owner can be while doing things which require wearing clothing.........
    glc, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 39 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (12-08-2017), Drifterbike (12-08-2017), DRobinson (12-08-2017), Fozsey (12-09-2017), Gizmo2 (12-09-2017), Jeff R. (12-08-2017), Jep (12-08-2017), Levi (12-08-2017), pcabe5 (12-11-2017), Robnik (12-08-2017), Toughsox (05-14-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:25 PM
    Thanks
    It sounds like a killer deal with that cab Sulley! I have a couple questions?
    Does the snow freeze on the glass anywhere?
    Is the lens on the rear view camera inside or outside the cab?
    I don't know all the offerings available for plow mounting on a 1 series, but I would speculate that a loader mounted blade would give tremendous lift height. Does that option create too much length for easy maneuvering?
    Also I wonder if those snow pushers were something you considered vs a blade? I know a blade is probably better for heavy stuff that you would rather windrow off to the side.
    pcabe5, Levi, OxPath and 5 others like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

5. Top | #3
    glc
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:27 AM
    Thanks
    Sully you may never need to use 4WD with chains. Personally, I haven't had the need yet, and this is going on the 7th winter with chains. I will say though, we haven't any major storm dumping more than 8 inches at a time in those 6 winters either. So we shall see.
    DRobinson, pcabe5, Levi and 6 others like this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

6. The Following User Says Thank You to glc For This Useful Post:

SulleyBear (12-08-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:33 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,613 Posts
    Glad to hear you're enjoying yours.

Mine is still setting in the shed, this morning doing paper work I noticed I plowed the church parking lot 1 time From Jan 1st till the end of the winter season. Thinking if I would have waited till that afternoon , probably could have gotten away even plowing it that time.
    pcabe5, Levi, OxPath and 5 others like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to etcallhome For This Useful Post:

SulleyBear (12-08-2017)

10. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 08:33 AM
    Thanks
    I have the 54" plow with the Artillian mount with the extension hoses. No need to curl with a plow on the FEL but if you will be getting a grapple than you may get the value now.
    First time in my life plowing last season so can only talk about this setup. It is nice to be able to lift high to push the mounds back to make room for the rest of the season. Also, if needed I can swap to the bucket quickly. I have read some people think a plow on the FEL "could" overload the cylinders or damage the FEL. But we use the bucket to dig in rocks and dirt with no concern?

Only issue I see is when I push snow from the paved driveway onto the lawn and I lift the FEL to clear the grass you have to lift earlier than you think because of all the parts have a little bit of looseness in the connections.

By the way, I did not see the lawn chair on the carry all for the Mrs to sit. Someone has to use the snow blower for the sidewalks and I doubt you are getting out of that warm cab....

Kevin
    pcabe5, Levi, OxPath and 6 others like this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TractorDude For This Useful Post:

SulleyBear (12-08-2017)

12. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 09:26 AM
    Thanks
    Glad to hear you're happy (mostly!) with the setup, Sully!! I'm looking forward to seeing the videos of you plowing. I'm guessing these will be from your perspective in the cab. Any chance you can talk Mrs. Bear into filming you plowing your own drive?

If it's not too much trouble, can you post a pic of your custom blade? What did you use for the rubber edge (stall mat?)? Also interested in seeing the top and what you did for deflection.

I bought a 6' blade setup from another member on here. It sits on my Artillian frame. So far, I haven't needed it. We're supposed to get 1" this weekend. Won't even be worth it to mount it up.
    pcabe5, Levi, OxPath and 4 others like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mark02tj For This Useful Post:

SulleyBear (12-08-2017)

14. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    It sounds like a killer deal with that cab Sulley! I have a couple questions?
    A. -Does the snow freeze on the glass anywhere?

B. - Is the lens on the rear view camera inside or outside the cab?

C. - I don't know all the offerings available for plow mounting on a 1 series, but I would speculate that a loader mounted blade would give tremendous lift height. Does that option create too much length for easy maneuvering?

D. - Also I wonder if those snow pushers were something you considered vs a blade? I know a blade is probably better for heavy stuff that you would rather windrow off to the side.
    Thanks, Jeff. Here are the answers to your questions, which I lettered for my reference;

A. - No, freezing anywhere and in fact, when the cab would fog up briefly from my heavy breathing from excitement, I would turn on the defroster and within 30 seconds, all was clear. The heater for the cab and the way the vents rotate and are baffled, they work great. No issues at all. Plus the heater vents are in the ceiling of the cab so they can be angled down right at the front or side, where ever you need them pointed.

B. - The entire rear view camera is mounted outside, on the back of the roof of my cab, as High as I could get it. I will find the original thread showing the camera installation and post a link here as an edit once I finish with my answers.

C. - The loader plow arrangement with the Artillian plate and diverter valve will allow me to stack snow probably 8 feet high, so that will be a huge improvement. The tractor would be a little longer, probably by two feet or so which I don't see as a major deal for maneuvering. It's just getting re-acclimated to the new length, which will take one time plowing.

D. - I plow about a mile of private roads so I have to be able to angle the blade for clearing the road, which is 33' wide and the cul de sac's are nearly 100 feet in diameter, so if I had to push all of the snow and pile it, a snow pusher would actually be much slower for my needs. Also, I plow the cul de sacs in a circular pattern throwing the snow out so there is very little to no backing up. Every second you are pushing snow verses backing up is productive. The last issue I would have with a snow pusher is I back drag from up against the garage doors of each driveway that I plow and with the rubber plow edge I use, I end up with being able to get within 2" of the actual garage doors in most cases. WIth the snow pusher, I wouldn't be able to get that close to the buildings and doors and would end up having to use either a shovel or my little two stroke snow blower, both of which is manual labor and requires me to stop and get out of the cab. I seriously thought about getting a snow pusher but I just don't think it would be as efficient as my large plow for my needs.
    DRobinson, pcabe5, Tomfive and 8 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike (12-08-2017)

16. Top | #8

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    I also hate being too hot when plowing or just driving in snow. Usually because you need the defroster blasting on the windshield so I can see. Unfortunately I don't have this problem on my tractor.

The quick hitch on the front of my 540 is also a disappointment. Won't stack snow over 3' high and forget about back dragging. The angle lock trips and the plow moves any way it wants. This is with the over priced mechanical angle from your seat kit. They should have went power like you tractor.
    Levi, OxPath, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

17. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    Glad to hear you're happy (mostly!) with the setup, Sully!! I'm looking forward to seeing the videos of you plowing. I'm guessing these will be from your perspective in the cab. Any chance you can talk Mrs. Bear into filming you plowing your own drive?

If it's not too much trouble, can you post a pic of your custom blade? What did you use for the rubber edge (stall mat?)? Also interested in seeing the top and what you did for deflection.

I bought a 6' blade setup from another member on here. It sits on my Artillian frame. So far, I haven't needed it. We're supposed to get 1" this weekend. Won't even be worth it to mount it up.
    I will take some pictures of the custom blade today and post them for you.

I use rubber for the squeege edge which I purchase from a place just up the road which is a "Rubber Supplier", No, not THAT kind, but Industrial and they sell belts and hoses and make custom fit hydraulic lines, etc. The rubber is 6" wide and 1" thick and I buy it in 25' length's, which cost me around $75 or roughly $3 per foot.

I always cut it to 8' of length and leave about 4" of extra edge hanging out on each end. Any longer than that and it will tear the edge with too much down pressure. I back drag from a lot of garage doors when plowing and having the total width of the plow scraper edge at 8' means it fits inside the door frame of the over head doors, allowing me to really keep the openings clear. You have to get really good with the machine control and bringing the plow that close to the overhead doors is risky of damaging something, but thus far, I haven't had an issue. I will have to be more careful with this new set up.

Actually, with the 54" plow, I have trouble seeing the actual ends of the plow verses with my larger plow.

I drill the center of the rubber strip and mount it so I can flip it over and use the other half of the rubber as it wears. Some seasons I have made it the whole season with one plow edge, others I have had to replace it. I learned the hard way to use cheap and soft bolts with NYLOCK nuts for the plow edge mounting as it's much faster to use the battery impact and twist off each bolt and replace them with new than trying to back out the bolts and reuse them for the plow edge. The plow edge bolts end up in the snow melt and road salt and trying to reuse them is a waste of time in my opinion. I have a bolt bin full of hardware so I just "SNAP and go" with new hardware......My bolt bins are grade 5 and grade 8 hardware, but I bought a couple hundred of the cheap bolts I need for the plow edge.........

I bought baler strap from Tractor Supply Company to make the top roller flap and I cut two lengths of the baler strap and riveted them together and then drilled the top edge of the plow and mounted it. My custom made plow is actually two 54" Deere plows with the center section cut out of one of the plows and welded those ends onto the other plow. So that way, the mounts, etc are all John Deere.

My Larger plow doesn't have plow shoes on it as I have ripped off the factory John Deere shoes with use over the years. I have been going to weld some plow shoes from a pick up truck plow onto my blade but I wanted to wait until I got the new set up before making any mods to the plow, just in case the mounting angles, etc. are different, which they are due to the different way the quick attach mounts on the 1 series verses the 455.

I will see about the video's of me plowing. I am very camera shy and don't like having my photo taken or made public as you never know when someone might recognize me from the posters at the U.S. Post Office. I sleep better at night now that John Walsh isn't on TV weekly highlighting "America's Most Wanted"..... But I am growing a beard, despite the Mrs. Objections so that does change things......a little......
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, pcabe5 and 8 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike (12-08-2017)

19. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 09:26 AM
    Thanks
    AWESOME! THANKS, Sully!! I'm looking forward to seeing the pics!

I also understand about camera shyness. I'm the same way. Not so much out of concern for my privacy or modesty, but more out of concern of scaring small children that might see my ugly mug on video!! But, videos from a perspective outside the tractor would be cool. Maybe we can find a "blue dot" to put over your face!
    DRobinson, pcabe5, Tomfive and 6 others like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mark02tj For This Useful Post:

SulleyBear (12-08-2017)

21. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast