First test of the season... Only one minor case of stupid.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: First test of the season... Only one minor case of stupid.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:49 AM
    Thanks

First test of the season... Only one minor case of stupid.

Well, we got our first real snow. Nothing major, about 6" of fluffy stuff but it allowed me to use the tractor for its intended purpose this winter, snow removal. The tractor performed perfectly i will say, myself at one point though, not so much..... :/ I pulled it out of the garage and moved some snow with the bucket which I tend to gravitate towards by default and occasionally got off and adjusted the work lights to where they worked best. Then I got the bright idea that I wanted to use the snowblower to see how it performed. There must have been a disconnect between my hands and my brain as I had the throttle up fairly high and pulled the PTO switch and there was a loud pop and then nothing.... So I get off the machine and cycle through the PTO settings trying to get some signs of life out of the blower while I have that sinking "i broke something" feeling and finally deduced that i snapped a shear pin on the PTO driveshaft. A quick replacement and I was in business. Uggh, what a bonehead start to everything that was.
    So the blower works great. It is a bit like bringing a hand grenade to a knife fight as it seemed very oversized for the job. I ended up running about 1/2 throttle and worked from one side of the driveway to the other blowing all 6" like it wasent even there. The blower scraped right down to pavement nicely and was probably the fastest I have ever done the driveway. I had no issue blowing the snow backing up, just kind of set the machine over for each pass and hammered down till I got to the garage and repeated the process. A quick pass in front of the doors with the loader and the job is done.
    I can see a set of edge tamers being ordered for the loader for sure. Feeling very good about the purchase, what a jump up this is from the x310 with the 44" blower.. It almost seems like its "too big", but then again, there's no such thing when it comes to toys, ahem, I mean tractors.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:18 PM
    Thanks
    It only seems too big when you don't have that much snow.When that big one hits you'll be the popular guy on the street.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 02:09 PM
    Thanks
    P.T.O.? Throttle low.

I'm glad it was just a shear pin.
    chex313, Levi, tletourneau and 5 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    10-14-2019 @ 10:03 AM
    Thanks
    IS that the blower in your avatar ? That thing is bigger than your tractor .
    chex313, Levi, greenharley and 3 others like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    It only seems too big when you don't have that much snow.When that big one hits you'll be the popular guy on the street.
    Yeah, if the early snow is an indicator of things to come im sure itll seem smaller as the accumulation increases. We got some doosies last spring that brought the X310 to its knees eating belts like they were Pez. I just felt lil silly using the blower with such little snow, but I "had" to try it out of course!

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Traction View Post
    P.T.O.? Throttle low.

I'm glad it was just a shear pin. [IMG class=inlineimg]http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/1/thumbup1gif.gif[/IMG]
    Yeah, you and me both. Think I still have the pit in my stomach..... It was maybe at 2000 rpm, so not super high but from here on out ill engage at idle with the blower.
    ColonyPark, chex313, Levi and 6 others like this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Maineiac For This Useful Post:

Valley Boy (12-12-2017)

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin37b View Post
    IS that the blower in your avatar ? That thing is bigger than your tractor .
    lol, yeah that's the blower. Looked hard at the 54" Frontier but in the end went with the 48" because of a couple tight areas I have to do. Ive heard people say thet like the fact the 54 is a bit wider than the tractor especially when turning, but I really dont have any corners so it just would have been in the way more than the 48 is already. That puppy throws some snow though. Immensely further than the last blower. Hydraulic rotation and angle and ill be a happy camper.
    ColonyPark, chex313, Levi and 3 others like this.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Another quick note, I am absolutely pleased with my decesion to use a rear blower with the loader vs a front mount. I was a bit worried after reading differing opinions but totally love having the loader on for all the buggers that get missed blowing. Edge tamers and this rig will shorten the time it takes for snow removal by 80%, not that it dident now I just have to be careful with the bucket edge.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:36 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac View Post
    Another quick note, I am absolutely pleased with my decesion to use a rear blower with the loader vs a front mount. I was a bit worried after reading differing opinions but totally love having the loader on for all the buggers that get missed blowing. Edge tamers and this rig will shorten the time it takes for snow removal by 80%, not that it dident now I just have to be careful with the bucket edge.
    Do yourself a favor.
    Look into a plow mounted on loader arms.
    I have the same rear blower as you. It's a killer i agree.
    Used a bucket for a couple years then went to plow. Unreal difference.
    chex313, rtgt, Levi and 5 others like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blue87fj60 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac View Post
    Do yourself a favor.
    Look into a plow mounted on loader arms.
    I have the same rear blower as you. It's a killer i agree.
    Used a bucket for a couple years then went to plow. Unreal difference.
    Agreed, that would be the cats meow, having a JDQA blade on the loader arms. Ive plowed with a blade on a p/u truck off and on quite a bit over the years and know the speed of a blade. Its not great for moving banks etc, but for quick cleanup its fast.
    Now that im dreaming having a cpl diverter valves for left/right angle would add to the convenience, but also add weight and cost.
    Only problem I can see with this 1 series is going to be "where can I fit all the hydraulic valves, diverters and hoses/pipes" i want to get the functions envisioned. I know, should have bought a bigger tractor, but honestly I dont need a bigger frame and more weight. Itll lift plenty for what I have planned for it and it will be a great machine to have on hand for construction purposes. Its already silly big for mowing our lawn here in the city... :/

Glad to hear you like the blower as well. Is built like a tank and I can see many years of service out of it with good maintenance.
    chex313, rtgt, Levi and 2 others like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast