Like Tree103Likes

Thread: My final snow setup and lessons learned along the way

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Thanks

My final snow setup and lessons learned along the way

Hi all,
    I've finally got a solid snow setup that I think can handle anything, and I wanted to share it with you, along with the journey I took to get to that point and the lessons I learned. I have a 1000' gravel driveway with about a 100 foot elevation gain. We usually get light snow with drifts, but every now and then we get hammered. Last year we got buried in March and it took me four days to dig out with a loader. It was awful.

My first setup was an x758 with the 54" plow. That worked great even for heavy snow (2' or so) so long as I went out and plowed a few times as it was falling. However, I quickly ran out of room to push the snow (a common problem with plowing up here). My driveway is bordered by a ditch on one side and a grassy slope on the other...if I stray into that, I get stuck. Not even my Rubicon with all diffs locked dares stray too far off the driveway.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	088.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	509473

For reasons that had nothing to do with snow, I traded the x758 for a 1025r (still miss the 758, what a great machine) just in time for the aforementioned March storm.

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	509481

The loader saved my life, as it can handle any amount of snow, it's just really, really, really slow. It took me a long time to dig out to the point where I could drive my car up and down that driveway. Four days, to be exact. I would clear most of the road and the next morning the drifts buried it again, almost as though I had never been there.

Name:	012.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	509497

For this winter, I didn't want to fool around anymore so I bought the 54" front snowblower.

Name:	105.jpg 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	509513

I quickly discovered that if you have a gravel driveway, snowblowers are both wonderful and terrible things. If the snow is deep, nothing beats them. But for light snow, because I have to have it elevated or it becomes a rock throwing machine gun, it's nearly useless. First I tried using a box blade. The idea was to drop it until it was full, then lift it and leave a mound, then come back and use the snowblower on the mound. That worked, but even with the top link all the way out and the blade tilted back so it wouldn't bite, it bit and tore up a few rocks. That would be okay, except that these rocks were mixed in with the snow pile and chewed up the inside of my snowblower. I don't mind the occasional rock, it's part of having a gravel driveway, but I don't want to make rock spitting my default method.

This is a pic of the little mounds I made with the box blade after a light snow a week ago. They are bigger than they look in the photo, and filled with many rocks.

Name:	IMG_1242.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	509521

Finally, I decided to buy a back blade. At first I was going to buy one with all the features...tilt, offset, etc., until I realized that having a lighter blade would do two things. First, it would bite/dig in less. Second, it would put more of the weight up front, which means that I would have better steering control when plowing uphill. So I bought the lightest blade I could find, a Frontier RB2060L which weighs just 155lbs. I was able to lift it off my trailer by hand by myself, which is a big plus. If the tractor gets stuck and I need to remove it, I can just pick it up and carry it away. Last year I got stuck in a ditch with a full ballast box I had to remove to get free. NOT FUN.

Name:	322.jpg 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	509529

I bought the blade with skids, but they didn't have them in stock, so I tried it without them. Fantastic. Amazing. Perfect. For light snow (the kind I don't need the snowblower for), it's actually better than the front 54" plow (which I still have, along with the 54" tractor shovel kit...anyone want it/them?). The front blade sometimes digs in and I have to pay attention and be ready to lift it, and that's with skids. This rear blade doesn't dig in at all. I can just drive down the road and up the road and I'm done. I don't even have to look back, slow down or pay any attention except to stay on the road and not hit my marker poles. If I encounter a tall drift, I turn the blower on and it destroys it and then the blade cleans up what's left down to the gravel.

Name:	IMG_1251.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	509537

This setup is perfect, and I'm happy. I don't even needs the skids, though I will install them to see if they make a difference. If the snow is light, I just zip up and down with the blade in a fraction of the time it used to take me with the front blade. If the snow is more than the plow can handle (it's not very tall) then I turn the blower on, drop the blade and go. No rocks spit, no snow left behind me. Perfect.

Name:	017.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	509545

So this is my final setup. I feel like I can take on any snowfall now. Hopefully my journey will help some of you decide what to get for your property.
    Last edited by mike01; 12-15-2017 at 07:44 PM.
    2019 X758, 54" Autoconnect deck
    2018 2032R, 220R Loader, dual rear SCV, hydraulic top link, SB1164 Snow Blower, RC2072 rotary cutter, BB5048L box blade, 42" Titan forks, BB2060L back blade

Owned in the past:
    X570, X758 (2015), 1025R, X590

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mike01 For This Useful Post:

130Oxbow (12-17-2017), A JDFinn (12-16-2017), ColonyPark (12-16-2017), Fozsey (12-15-2017), Fury5 (12-17-2017), Herminator (12-15-2017), jgayman (12-15-2017), TJR345 (12-16-2017), xsrdx (04-18-2019), Yank (12-16-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:47 PM
    Thanks
    Turn that RB around backwards and it’ll dig up far fewer rocks and still scrape your snow as good as it does now. You’ll end up with even fewer displaced rocks in your lawn.
    Levi, OxPath, keane and 5 others like this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    Turn that RB around backwards and it’ll dig up far fewer rocks and still scrape your snow as good as it does now. You’ll end up with even fewer displaced rocks in your lawn.
    I've tried that. It does work well, but if there is too much snow (which doesn't take much for this blade) then it doesn't have that wave effect where the snow is way over the top of blade but still being shunted to the side. If I were not lazy I would switch back and forth, but as it doesn't really bite down anyway I just leave it alone. Also, the skid shoes should eliminate what little bite it has preserving that plow/wave effect. I'll let you guys know how they work.
    Levi, OxPath, keane and 4 others like this.
    2018 2032R, 220R Loader, dual rear SCV, hydraulic top link, SB1164 Snow Blower, RC2072 rotary cutter, BB5048L box blade, 42" Titan forks, BB2060L back blade

Owned in the past:

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:02 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,245 Posts
    Nice write up. You have the exact same setup I've been using for the past 4 seasons with my 2720. The only difference is I have a Land Pride 5-foot rear blade with hydraulic angle control as I have to change the angle a lot and getting on and off the tractor to change it was killing my knees.

You are right about the lighter blade. While I like my blade, at 280 lbs it's not something you can move around by hand.

I find that I use my rear blade about 80% of the time as like you I have a gravel driveway and unless we get a foot or more of snow it is much quicker to just use the blade. I'm occasionally lured into creating little piles of snow and then blowing them away but it always results in blowing gravel through the blower as no matter how careful you are the blade will collect some stones.

Even with heavier snows I will first blow everything clean with the blower and then go back over it with the blade to scrape it down so the Sun can melt it bare.

One thing you might consider is aftermarket snow skids for your 54" blower. I have been using a set on mine for a few years and they work much better than the stock skids and offer much greater adjustability.

Name:	E26R3977.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	509617

They are available from Snowblower Skids For Sidewalks and Gravel Drives
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

Herminator (12-15-2017)

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks! Do you paint the inside of your blower to "repair" the rock dings or do you just oil it to prevent rust?

I like those skids, and I've seen them before, but the order process for them seems intimidating (hole pattern, spacing, etc.). I'm sure I could figure it out, but I've been spoiled by amazon. I say "I want this thing" and they say, "It will fit the thing you want it for" and I say, "Take my money" and they say, "thanks, now here, have the thing." I don't suppose they have ones pre-speced for the JD 54"?

Owned in the past:

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:57 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike01 View Post
    Thanks! Do you paint the inside of your blower to "repair" the rock dings or do you just oil it to prevent rust?

I like those skids, and I've seen them before, but the order process for them seems intimidating (hole pattern, spacing, etc.). I'm sure I could figure it out, but I've been spoiled by amazon. I say "I want this thing" and they say, "It will fit the thing you want it for" and I say, "Take my money" and they say, "thanks, now here, have the thing." I don't suppose they have ones pre-speced for the JD 54"?
    I just went through the order process myself, 4.5 inch spacing and they recommended the ProXT-1545-b...they'll be here Monday via USPS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Levi, OxPath, mike01 and 1 others like this.

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 07:31 AM
    Thanks
    Excellent documentation mike01....to make yours the absolute perfect perfect set up.....you just need one more piece of the puzzle........a Mauser Cab.......
    I'm running a similar set up right now with the regular RB2060 blade and 60" front blade.

I hear you about the stone throwing dilemma. We also have a gravel drive, and what I like to do to start the season is to drive over and pack down the first few light snowfalls to get a bit of a snow base, and sometimes if we are lucky up here, we get a bit of a melt and that does a super job of sealing up the gravel with ice. Then we are golden till spring. Up here in the northland we generally don't get any mid season melting...when winter sets in...it's like the North Pole up here.

The 54" front blower and Mauser Cab are getting spec'd and priced out now as we speak for my 1025R.

Thanks for sharing your story. (and get that cab !).
    Last edited by Busman; 12-16-2017 at 08:08 AM.
    ColonyPark, Levi, OxPath and 2 others like this.
    Glen

Current Fleet

2017 - JD 1025R w/260B backhoe
    2018 - JD 1025R w/Mauser Cab

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:44 PM
    Thanks
    I don’t know for sure, but it looks like to me that if someone modded the skids off the Frontier tillers to fit the snowblowers, you would be in business. The tiller skids curve up steeply in the front to ensure no digging in. Easily adjustable. Why JD hasn’t thought of this, I don’t know. The ones I have seen are from my RT1165 if you want to take a look.
    Last edited by Yank; 12-16-2017 at 07:26 AM.
    Levi, OxPath, mike01 and 1 others like this.
    Yancey

2017 2038R 220R loader
    Frontier 72” rear blade
    Frontier 60” box blade
    Frontier 65” tiller
    Frontier subsoiler
    Frontier 60” landplane
    Frontier 42” pallet forks
    Frontier 72” RC 2072
    HH toothbar KBOH’s bucket hooks
    2019 X758 60HC deck
    Model 80 trailer

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike01 View Post
    I prime and repaint any bare metal at the end of each season.

I agree their order process could be a bit clearer. It is very simple though. You simply measure the distance between your two mounting bolts and order the shoe of that size. I don't remember what the spacing was on the 54" blower but they have a show that fits it exactly.
    ColonyPark, Levi, OxPath and 2 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yank View Post
    I don’t know for sure, but it looks like to me that if someone modded the skids off the Frontier tillers to fit the snowblowers, you would be in business. The tiller skids curve up steeply in the front to ensure no digging in. Easily adjustable. Why JD hasn’t thought of this, I don’t know. The ones I have seen are from my RT1165 if you want to take a look.
    They would still dig into the gravel. It's not the end that digs in when the ground is soft. It's the shoe itself. You could have a completely round shoe and it will still sink in to thawed ground and cause issues.
    DRobinson, Levi, OxPath and 2 others like this.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast