Exhaust modification solves the snowblower smoke nightmare in the garage
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: Exhaust modification solves the snowblower smoke nightmare in the garage

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-10-2019 @ 10:06 PM
    Thanks

Exhaust modification solves the snowblower smoke nightmare in the garage

Hello all. I just completed my video showing how I handled this and I love the solution. I am getting my part numbers together and will add them here and to the video also. I hope you enjoy, I tried to put some small jokes in there with the video to keep your attention

Thank you

Last edited by silvercymbal; 12-16-2017 at 12:13 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:50 AM
    Thanks
    Now all you need is a port in the garage door to run the hose out, service station style.... Then you can start the tractor and let it warm up while keeping the door closed.

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	gd1.jpg†
Views:	48†
Size:	27.4 KB†
ID:	510001
    flyweight likes this.
    2014 1025R, H120 loader w/53" bucket and Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar, 54" Auto Connect MMM, 47" QH snow blower, Ballast box and loaded rear tires, Speeco Quick Hitch, Ken's Bolt-on Grab Hooks, King Kutter Carry All, 54" front QH blade w/Heavy Hitch skids, Titan 36" pallet forks, Land Pride GS0560 Grading Scraper, and chrome (kitchen drain pipe) exhaust tip!!

1950 Allis-Chalmers B, Electric start, PTO, Belt Pulley, Hydraulic pump. Stuck engine (a work in progress)

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Thanks
    Thats suprising how much the 1025R smokes...That is more smoke in one start up , than has emanated from my 1026R in 5 years...
    Dave's 2012 1026R TLB,54"MMM Auto Attach,Ken's hooks&clevis,Artillian 36' Forks and a KennyPedal WH 520H 48" Snow Blade,48" Deck379 Peterbuilt (3 Million Miles in a big truck)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,559 Times in 1,279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chex313 View Post
    Thats suprising how much the 1025R smokes...That is more smoke in one start up , than has emanated from my 1026R in 5 years...
    I was thinking that too, granted mine on had 177 hours but itís just one puff and then clears right up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    pcabe5, BigJim55, romcjr and 1 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:35 PM
    Thanks
    My 790 smokes bad if I donít hold the glow plugs on long enogh. It is annoying. Great idea I would have to get a really long hose from where I park mine.
    BigJim55, SulleyBear and PJR832 like this.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:37 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,434 Posts
    I don't want to appear to be critical of the video idea or it's proposed solution, but I thought the same thing, to be honest about the amount of smoke shown. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fuel used or perhaps an additive in the fuel or even a lack of the same? That is a LOT of smoke and leads me to wonder if something is not right.

My tractor smokes a little at cold start up, but nothing like that shown in the video. My tractor in a cold start up smokes about what was shown in the "restart" of the tractor in this video. A restart of my tractor and I usually don't notice much if any smoke.

(A.) - Just curious, when you park the tractor in the garage, When turning off the ignition key, Do you have the engine operating at idle or is it shutoff wherever you were operating the engine speed?

(B.)- Do you have the tractor at a higher RPM range and then move it down to idle and immediately shut if off, or does it idle for several seconds before being shut down?

(C.)- Do you use an engine preheater (plug your tractor in)? Is the smoke about the same year around, or worse in the winter?

I do think both A & B likely have an impact on possibly leaving un-burnt fuel in the cylinders for the next engine start up, which is likely to result in more smoke. C is going to require less pre heat time and should help with cold starting in the winter months, making combustion as efficient as possible at cold start up compared to not using the engine pre heater.

I did wonder when I saw the video why the tractor was back inside the building so far from the door if the smoke is a concern / problem, which with that amount of smoke, I can understand why it is a concern / problem for smoke remaining in the garage.

I park the blade just inside the over head door (less than 6 inches) and when I get in the cab, I open the over head door with the remote button on my dash and turn the key for the tractor. By time the pre heat of the glow plugs is complete, the overhead door is fully open, the dash gauges have cycled and I have remembered to shift the transfer case into neutral and I have turned my music on (hey, important things too). Then I turn the key and start it up.

What little smoke there is, evacuates since the blade it right at the overhead door. I then pull the tractor out of the garage and close the overhead door when I am getting out of the cab to rotate my safety light into the up position to clear the top of the cab. I try to develop and keep a routine just to avoid forgetting something (like lowering the light before backing into the garage). Plus our garage stays about 45 to 50 degrees in the winter and I am trying to minimize heat loss with leaving the door open.

Again, not being critical of the video, your smoking issue or the proposed solution, I am Just curious to your answers to A, B and C. Thanks.........SB
    BigJim55, Neb, PJR832 and 1 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Hi, to answer a few questions. I don't have a pre-heater. It was cold today also about 19 so it was a chilly start. I do use the JD additive but I am likely 1/2 way between the winter and summer stabilizer but considering the posts on here about the smoke issue I don't think its super unusual.

I did use the trick on here about doing the preheat twice and that definitely helped. I don't believe the machine has any faults or such but it's worse in winter for sure.

I appreciate all the feedback and watching my videos!

Thanks
    etcallhome, SulleyBear and PJR832 like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:13 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    I was thinking that too, granted mine on had 177 hours but itís just one puff and then clears right up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't know how these 1-series are supposed to be....but in the first cold start that engine was stumbling terribly. That is where most of the smoke is coming from.

Maybe just different than my 2-series but mine fires perfectly on all cylinders no matter how cold. Of course a little smoke but nothing like that.

It looked to me like the glow plugs weren't working at all or if they are it isn't right.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikR View Post
    Now all you need is a port in the garage door to run the hose out, service station style.... Then you can start the tractor and let it warm up while keeping the door closed.

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	gd1.jpg†
Views:	48†
Size:	27.4 KB†
ID:	510001
    I had originally planned to buy one of these and they fit that hose perfectly......but I am a bit too nervous that it could come off. Remember when they use these on cars often times they are blower assisted and the auto pipe can usually slide 10+ inches onto the pipe. With the bend in the JD, you only get a few which is why this cuff is really great but I wouldn't recommend trusting the friction fit for a closed room setup.

Could it work? I believe so but for safety and this situation I wouldn't use that but I am sure it could be improved for a pemrnant solution like you said.

Thank you for watching the video and please check out my other or subscribe I have a lot of unusual topics and such around machines and mechanical work.

Thanks!
    BigJim55 likes this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to silvercymbal For This Useful Post:

Neb†(12-16-2017)

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    I remember the dealer had told me the emissions differences on the 1025 are much worse for this. But its much better in summer. I don't use the hose setup then with the mowing deck on, it is very minimal.
    chex313 and PJR832 like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast