Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: 3 Point Hitch weight drop when tractor is off

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-17-2019 @ 05:39 PM
    Thanks

3 Point Hitch weight drop when tractor is off

good morning my green friends my 3 point weight bracket goes down when the machine is off ,but as soon as I start it goes back up?
    please keep it clean we don't know whos reading lol
    2nd how do I add photos to my album does it need a new name with each entry?
    1026r fel home made edge tamers and home made suite case weight bracket.
    PJR832 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:48 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,277 Posts
    If your rockshaft lever is still in the raise position there is your answer
    Levi likes this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1st1026r View Post
    good morning my green friends my 3 point weight bracket goes down when the machine is off ,but as soon as I start it goes back up?
    It shouldn't. Mine never does, no matter how much weight is on it.
    Can't help you on the rest.
    PJR832 likes this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Levi For This Useful Post:

1st1026r (12-17-2017)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    More than likely your 3PH rockshaft seal is leaking. This involves removing the top of the transmission case to replace. As long as it's not fast and doesn't annoy you, it's not a big deal.

As a rule, it's always a good idea to lower any implement to the ground when you are not using the tractor. There's always a chance it could come to the ground in a hurry when not expected. Every time I stop my tractor, I lower both the loader and the 3PH. It also acts like a parking brake.
    etcallhome, fdmars, Levi and 7 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

flyweight (12-17-2017)

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    It shouldn't. Mine never does, no matter how much weight is on it.
    Can't help you on the rest.
    thank you for your service ,
    I'm sorry I didn't say that sooner
    and thanks for your likes to my posts
    Levi and greenharley like this.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 1st1026r For This Useful Post:

Levi (12-18-2017)

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,104 Times in 2,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    More than likely your 3PH rockshaft seal is leaking. This involves removing the top of the transmission case to replace. As long as it's not fast and doesn't annoy you, it's not a big deal.

As a rule, it's always a good idea to lower any implement to the ground when you are not using the tractor. There's always a chance it could come to the ground in a hurry when not expected. Every time I stop my tractor, I lower both the loader and the 3PH. It also acts like a parking brake.
    Just imagine a couple kids playing around the machine when one inadvertently trips the 3-point control lever while another one is behind the machine.

All implements should be on the ground when dismounting the machine.
    Levi, Ray_PA, flyweight and 4 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

flyweight (12-17-2017)

13. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post

good idea I also lower my fel but for years I hade a bracket on previous tractors and didn't have to .
    good answer thank you its common sense now that you mention it
    Levi, greenharley and PJR832 like this.

14. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Thanks
    To learn more about forum "How Too's", click on Forum and then Forum Help and Suggestions. There is a listing of How Too's there. How to post pictures, How to add a signature, etc.

Now for your question, it is somewhat normal for a 3 point to drop when the engine is not running as long as it isn't dropping quickly.
    How quickly does it drop?

You indicated "my 3 point weight bracket goes down when the machine is off", which seems to indicate you have weight on the 3 point. If you have weight on the 3 point, it is more likely that it will lower with the engine off.

The 3 point lifts with a single acting cylinder (pressure up, gravity down) control by the rockshaft (3 point lift) valve. If both the cylinder and valve are in good condition, the 3 point will not lower. If the cylinder or valve is not 100% (it is almost impossible for a valve to be 100%) then the oil will leak by slowly which allows the 3 point to drop.

You can isolate the cause of the 3 point dropping by doing this:
    1. Raise the 3 point and close the "rate of drop" valve below the front of the seat.
    2. Wait the length of time that it would normally take the 3 point to lower. Check to see if it lowered.
    3. If it didn't drop, the component that is allowing the 3 point to drop is the control valve which is normal.
    4. If it did drop, then the component that is allowing the 3 point to drop is either the rockshaft (3 point) lift cylinder or the surge relief valve, which is not normal.

Technically, with the "rate of drop" valve closed, the 3 point should not lower, even with weight on it. If it does, this most likely means hydraulic oil is bypassing the piston seals in the rockshaft cylinder which is not what is supposed to happen. The other component that could cause this is if the surge relief valve is leaking by. This is probably not as likely.

If you leave the 3 point raised on your tractor when it is parked, you should close the "rate of drop" valve to prevent any inadvertent lowering of the 3 point. Best thing to do is lower it, especially with weight hanging on it.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

15. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:48 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,277 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    If your rockshaft lever is still in the raise position there is your answer
    i should have added that I was only answering as to why it comes back up on start up. I was taught many years ago that anytime you have anything on the 3 point that it gets lowered when parked.
    etcallhome, Levi, Ray_PA and 1 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

16. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Thanks
    An important factor in this is missing. How long does it take for this to happen?

If you shut your machine down and the 3pt starts dropping immediately and your implement/ballast box hits the floor in 2 minutes, there is a problem. If you are parking your machine and finding your implement/ballast box on the floor the next day, that's fairly normal.

Both the loader and the 3pt have a "leak down". Your service manual will tell you what is the acceptable rate for that leak down.

The test for my machine is listed as a "Rockshaft Leakage Test". The manual tells me to raise the rockshaft to full height and then shut the machine off. I'm supposed to measure after 5 minutes. The max allowable drop at 5 minutes is 2". So after 30 minutes it could drop a full 12" (which would put my ballast box on the floor) and still meet specs.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

PJR832 (12-17-2017)

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast