• 1 Post By Levi
  • 1 Post By martincom

Thread: Windshield Wiper Improvement

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:17 PM
    Thanks

Windshield Wiper Improvement

I had the opportunity this afternoon to take one of the 1025Rs, with Cozy Cab, out for the first time this afternoon to a do a little clean up. It was fairly mild here today, 25F. Well, that is mild for Minnesota in December. A little spray from the snow thrower collected on the windshield. I activated the wiper and maybe 30% of the windshield area was cleared by the wiper! What the heck? What good does all this glass do a person when you can't see through the spray film? Immediately, I noticed the wiper blade could be longer.

While I have Cozy Cabs, the wiper motors and, of course, the wiper blades are pretty generic. So this will likely apply to other brands of cabs, as well.

Back at the shop, I took some measurements and observed the wiper in action from outside the cab. The wiper blade was traveling over the head of the screw inserted through the glass to secure the wiper motor. What the heck!!! That wiper blade won't last long. I continued taking some measurements and marked out the arc of the wiper blade. I could move the blade on the motor spline so it wouldn't travel over the screw head. I performed some trail & error repositioning of the arm and adjusting the arm angle at mid point. When I moved the arm so it would not travel over the screw head, a good portion of the top left side of the windshield wasn't being cleared. That was no good.

My measurements indicated the arc of the wipe could be increased, which should resolve the clearing of the top of the windshield. I removed the cover from the wiper motor and checked the mechanism settings. It was configured for a 100 degree arc. I re-configured it for a 110 degree arc, per the following chart:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wipe Angle.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	511002

The OEM wiper blade was 16" in length. I replaced it with a 22" blade, which was as long as I could install and clear the mounting hardware drilled through the glass. It took a few more trial & error adjustments of the arm park position, at the arm to motor spline, and the arm mid-point angle. I was satisfied with the results as now the maximum amount of area, for this wiper design, is being cleared. Approximately 70%.

Below is the wiper as shipped from the factory:

Name:	DSCN0102.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	6.75 MB 
ID:	511010

Here is the wiper after re-configuration:

Name:	DSCN0179.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	6.41 MB 
ID:	511018

In my opinion, this is something Custom Products, the Cozy Cab manufacturer, should have performed during the cab build as well as supplying an appropriately sized wiper blade. Absolutely, the wiper blade shouldn't have been traveling over a screw head. I haven't checked our other Cozy Cab, but reviewing my photos of that cab, I expect to have the same issues. No doubt, this is not something a dealer would address during a cab install and nor would you expect them to.

I've had a few quality control issues with the two Cozy Cabs. While nothing earth shattering that I couldn't address, many folks don't have the skills, tools, equipment and facilities to correct these issues. At the price point of these cabs, there shouldn't be these kind of issues.
    Bubber, Levi, mark02tj and 10 others like this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to martincom For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike (12-17-2017), Herminator (12-17-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    10-02-2019 @ 06:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info. Im with you tho. It annoys me when you have to fiddle frigg around with a new product you just bought to "optimize" it. Thats what the companies R&D department is supposed to do. Unless maybe the front and rear wipers are identical and set up the same as a cost cutting measure. Just one part to stock etc.

Wonder if you could get a longer wiper arm? It would drop the wiper blade below that screw and allow for the next size up blade. Your initial mod is so much better than stock it might not be worth the aggravation.
    Levi likes this.
    1026R
    H120 loader
    260 Backhoe
    54" MMM
    80 dump cart
    4' Bush Hog
    47" snow blower
    3pt Carry all
    Northstar sprayer

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbybats View Post
    Thanks for the info. Im with you tho. It annoys me when you have to fiddle frigg around with a new product you just bought to "optimize" it. Thats what the companies R&D department is supposed to do. Unless maybe the front and rear wipers are identical and set up the same as a cost cutting measure. Just one part to stock etc.

Wonder if you could get a longer wiper arm? It would drop the wiper blade below that screw and allow for the next size up blade. Your initial mod is so much better than stock it might not be worth the aggravation.
    It clears the screw head now. Changing the arm mid-point angle resolved that. I believe I've achieved the optimum. A longer arm would have the tip of the wider blade contacting the left upper glass retainer head and I'm not missing the lower right head by much.

Cozy is not the only one. The brief time I had the Mauser I noted its front wiper left a bit to be desired, as well. It has a upper center mounted wiper blade pivot with a standard arm. So it leaves a large percentage of the windshield uncleared, as well. With the center mounted pivot, it should really have a pantograph arm. When I had viewed some of the Euro photos of the Mauser cab and the initial USA announcement, they had pantograph wiper arms. I suppose the standard arm was an improvement......to the bottom line.

Here is the Mauser:

Name:	DSCN0153.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	512073

Below is my former 455 with the Femco cab and a pantograph wiper arm:

Name:	DSCF1494.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	512089

Name:	DSCF1490.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	512097
    Last edited by martincom; 12-19-2017 at 10:15 PM.
    Levi and mark02tj like this.
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    647 Tiller

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post

Cozy is not the only one. The brief time I had the Mauser I noted its front wiper left a bit to be desired, as well. It has a upper center mounted wiper blade pivot with a standard arm. So it leaves a large percentage of the windshield uncleared, as well. With the center mounted pivot, it should really have a pantograph arm. When I had viewed some of the Euro photos of the Mauser cab and the initial USA announcement, they had pantograph wiper arms. I suppose the standard arm was an improvement......to the bottom line.

Here is the Mauser:

Name:	DSCN0153.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	512073

Below is my former 455 with the Femco cab and a pantograph wiper arm:

Name:	DSCF1494.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	512089

Name:	DSCF1490.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	512097
    Can the pantograph wiper be mounted to the Mauser cab? It looks like it has the room for it. If the Euro models have them I don't know why they wouldn't put them on the USA models.
    stu19511 likes this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 01:47 PM
    Thanks
    Wow .Nice cabs and machines ! Did you not like the Mauser cab ? Like the birds in your avatar also . Where did you find that lift ? Thanks , Kevin .

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin37b View Post
    Wow .Nice cabs and machines ! Did you not like the Mauser cab ? Like the birds in your avatar also . Where did you find that lift ? Thanks , Kevin .
    The Mauser front mounts were obstructed by the backhoe supplemental frame. I had planned to remove the cab in the summer, but having to do the supplemental frame was just too much. So I returned the Mauser and picked another Cozy. The Cozy is not backhoe compatible as it has no rear door. However, I've got it setup with quick disconnects and there is 7 bolts, footwells, floor pan extension to disassemble to remove it. A 1 to 2 hour job start to finish. I was bummed. The Mauser is a much nicer cab and a better value per dollar, in my opinion.

The lift is manufactured by Western Manufacturing in Marshalltown, IA. I've had it for about 25 years. One of my smarter purchase decision. I originally acquired it for a Harley chopper I was resurrecting. The side extensions were optional. At the time, I didn't have a garden tractor or 4-wheeler, but I added them on for future growth. Another smart move.
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    647 Tiller

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    Can the pantograph wiper be mounted to the Mauser cab? It looks like it has the room for it. If the Euro models have them I don't know why they wouldn't put them on the USA models.
    I didn't really look the Mauser over that close and the cab never came off the pallet. I would think a pantograph arm would be possible. The two possible issues may be clearance from the green cab roof over hang and if the wiper motor mounts in the glass, drilling the glass for the return arm mount at the wiper motor. Another issue maybe finding an arm that would mate with the wiper motor spline.

When I did the 455 cab, I sourced the wiper parts from Mill's Supply, who supplied parts for our business step vans. Some of the items were a special order, but they were very helpful. Here is a link to a post I authored for the 455 cab wiper. I have PN and contact info in the link:

Wiper Motor for a John Deere (Fimco) Cab 4X5 and Others?
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    647 Tiller

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I neglected to mention that the length of the wiper arm supplied with the Cozy is adjustable. There is a pinch clasp within the spring housing portion of the arm that is releasable. This allows the rectangular shaft of the wiper arm to telescope in/out of the spring housing increasing/decreasing the length. I adjusted the length of mine so the wiper blade clears the through-glass nut, in the bottom right of the glass, by a 1/4", which is as long as you can make it.

You could adjust the length of the arm to utilize a longer wiper blade, such as a 24". However, you really don't gain much of anything as the through-glass nut limits how far you extend the blade into the main vision area of the windshield. As such, the added length of a 24" blade ends up in the upper right corner of the windshield whose visible area is obstructed by the wiper motor.
    Levi likes this.
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    647 Tiller

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements