4WD Lever weld broken, differences between "european" and US Levers?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: 4WD Lever weld broken, differences between "european" and US Levers?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-05-2019 @ 06:17 PM
    Thanks

4WD Lever weld broken, differences between "european" and US Levers?

To preface this post, I've had my 1026r for a little over 5 years and have had very few issues. I've never really put it in 4WD as most of my work involved situations where I did not want to tear up turf with the front wheels. Tractor has about 200 hours on in it.

Earlier this week, I went to bring the tractor out of the shed and haul a small trailer up to the house. Yes, we have snow here in the winter and I wanted to put the tractor in 4wd to insure that it would make it up the rather steep hill with the trailer in about 6 inches of snow. When I went looking for the lever, the tip was barely visible and, when I grabbed it, the lever fell off. Once I found it, I discovered that the weld to the small bracket wasn't really there. It was a bad weld. It's obvious too, there's rust on about 75% of the surface so it was barely hanging on even when I bought the tractor.

I couldn't even figure out what it was supposed to look like so I used Google to find the right part numbers. I found one ( labeled "european" ) and it seemed fairly cheap and it showed the small bracket ( and pin ) that this was supposed to be attached to. Great. Now I just take that to the service department and they can order. Wrong.

The dealer service department couldn't do anything for me as far as ordering a new part free of charge because the tractor was too old. Even it was an obvious defective part. That an the "european" level is different ( not sure how ) from the one for the US ( which I could never find ) and the US one, rather than being realistic in price, is over a HUNDRED DOLLARS. For a piece of thick steel rod with a bracket welded on the bottom.

So does anyone know what the difference is between a "european" 4wd lever and the US one? Does it route differently on a european 1026r? Or is this John Deere's US markup?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:26 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,260 Posts
    Perhaps a European GTT member can get the info you are looking for. While you wouldn't think THAT part would be different, one never knows where all the build differences are.

Can you post a photo of your broken lever? Since it appears to be all steel perhaps the best approach would be to simply re-weld it. Even if you don't weld it yourself I doubt it would cost much for a local shop to do it. I've had similar small pieces rewelded and it usually isn't more than $20 or so - and you end up with a part that is stronger than the original.

Is #2 below the lever you are referring to? It sure looks like it would be easy to weld, especially TIG weld.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1026R_4WD.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	512993

As you can see, the European version is shaped completely different.

Name:	1026R_4WD_EU.jpg 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	513001

Even so... $104 for the U.S. part and $37 for the European part seems crazy. Maybe the U.S. one is made from the all-too-common steel-like Unobtanium? :-)

I assume the lever slides onto #8 below.

Name:	1026R_4WD_shaft.jpg 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	513009

Anyway, some photos would sure help not only those of us in the U.S. but any European readers who are trying to make a comparison.
    Last edited by jgayman; 12-21-2017 at 08:08 AM.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:37 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,434 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorvtguy View Post
    To preface this post, I've had my 1026r for a little over 5 years and have had very few issues. I've never really put it in 4WD as most of my work involved situations where I did not want to tear up turf with the front wheels. Tractor has about 200 hours on in it.

Earlier this week, I went to bring the tractor out of the shed and haul a small trailer up to the house. Yes, we have snow here in the winter and I wanted to put the tractor in 4wd to insure that it would make it up the rather steep hill with the trailer in about 6 inches of snow. When I went looking for the lever, the tip was barely visible and, when I grabbed it, the lever fell off. Once I found it, I discovered that the weld to the small bracket wasn't really there. It was a bad weld. It's obvious too, there's rust on about 75% of the surface so it was barely hanging on even when I bought the tractor.

I couldn't even figure out what it was supposed to look like so I used Google to find the right part numbers. I found one ( labeled "european" ) and it seemed fairly cheap and it showed the small bracket ( and pin ) that this was supposed to be attached to. Great. Now I just take that to the service department and they can order. Wrong.

The dealer service department couldn't do anything for me as far as ordering a new part free of charge because the tractor was too old. Even it was an obvious defective part. That an the "european" level is different ( not sure how ) from the one for the US ( which I could never find ) and the US one, rather than being realistic in price, is over a HUNDRED DOLLARS. For a piece of thick steel rod with a bracket welded on the bottom.

So does anyone know what the difference is between a "european" 4wd lever and the US one? Does it route differently on a european 1026r? Or is this John Deere's US markup?

Thanks.
    Sorry to hear of your troubles. And, Welcome to the GTT community.

I will go over to the John Deere parts site and look this up for you and return here and post a link to the actual page in this thread, assuming someone doesn't beat me to it. We have a bunch of talented search artists for John Deere parts and diagrams......

I will post as soon as I find it..Be back shortly.

Check this link....It's for the Worldwide Machine, not the European.....

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePa geServlet_Alt

It's part number LVA16111 and it's called an "Arm.

Last edited by SulleyBear; 12-21-2017 at 08:13 AM. Reason: added link
    etcallhome, BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:11 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,755 Times in 1,213 Posts
    Question, can you remove the lever and have it re-welded?

Opps! jgayman beat me to it.
    Last edited by flyweight; 12-21-2017 at 08:04 AM.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------

" If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"? - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:37 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,434 Posts
    Greenparts has LVA16611 at a cost of $104.78

https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-..._p_156529.html

Check on Ebay as well.

While it looks like a simple arm, the bends are probably important for making it fit and function correctly.

What about cleaning up the parts from your tractor and having a local welder weld it back together? That's what I would do if you can locate the pieces.....Then, the weak weld issue will be resolved and perhaps the local welder can strengthen the weak point with a support. Probably just a good weld is all you will need, especially if you haven't used it that much.

Whether you get a new part or fix the old one, Please make sure to let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out. It's helpful for anyone else who searches this site and maybe having a problem with the same shifter rod..........Thanks......and looking forward to hearing how you resolve this problem.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:13 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,505 Times in 1,614 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flyweight View Post
    Question, can you remove the lever and have it re-welded?

Opps! jgayman beat me to it.
    That was going to be my question.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Actually, it's LVA16611
    flyweight and PJR832 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Below is a previous GTT thread where someone with a 1025R was having problems with the roll pin falling out. Apparently the 1025R uses the same lever. It shows a good photo of the welded end.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...loppy-now.html

Name:	1026R_4WD_lever.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	513033

It sure looks easy to reweld, just have to get the angle right.
    Last edited by jgayman; 12-21-2017 at 08:18 AM.
    BigJim55, flyweight and PJR832 like this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    07-05-2019 @ 06:17 PM
    Thanks
    I have to remove the old "bracket" to see if it is obvious on how to re-weld. I have plenty of folks that can do it but I am worried that it is a "positional" thing. The 2 part numbers I found were LVA17697 ( European/Worldwide ) and LVA16611 ( US ). The dealer did order the US version and they also confirmed the price difference. Even if the lever is a different shape, hard to believe that it costs $70 more to bend it for the US than for Worldwide. Everything else is the same here except the shape. I'll include a picture of the end when I get a chance.
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorvtguy View Post
    I have to remove the old "bracket" to see if it is obvious on how to re-weld. I have plenty of folks that can do it but I am worried that it is a "positional" thing. The 2 part numbers I found were LVA17697 ( European/Worldwide ) and LVA16611 ( US ). The dealer did order the US version and they also confirmed the price difference. Even if the lever is a different shape, hard to believe that it costs $70 more to bend it for the US than for Worldwide. Everything else is the same here except the shape. I'll include a picture of the end when I get a chance.
    If it's like most of the broken welds I've seen you should be able to see exactly how the two parts previously fit together. I thought perhaps the European lever came out at a different place on the floor but I just looked at both the U.S. and European operator's manual and they both show the same photo of the lever. Which of course further enhances the mystery. It doesn't matter anyway because you cannot order European parts in the U.S. (from a JD dealer anyway).

Regardless of whether you have yours welded or buy a new lever, be sure to use a NEW roll pin when you reassemble it. It is p/n 34M7033 and it's only $0.44. Now here is something crazy, the European lever uses the same LVU22931 handle but uses a different part number for the roll pin (34M7141) even though both roll pins are spec'd as 5 x 30mm. The European pin also costs twice as much at $0.85. So see... JD is gouging you on the lever and gouging the Europeans on the pin. :-)
    Last edited by jgayman; 12-21-2017 at 09:02 AM.
    BigJim55, PJR832 and bvbearcat like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast