Page 1 of 45 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree3313Likes

Thread: Wheel fell off tractor

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 05:25 AM
    Thanks

Wheel fell off tractor

Almost done with clearing the 8" snow we got Christmas Day when I suddenly got a sinking feeling. The left rear wheel had fallen off the tractor!

Could be due to my dealer not torquing the bolts when he installed the 2" wheel spacers. I put 4 hours on the tractor since install of the spacers and had planned to retorque the lug bolts after finishing storm clean up.

Anyway, I'm dead in the water with high temps today of 12 degrees and stiff wind and even colder for the next 8-10 days. Fortunately, it happened in my driveway and not a mile down the road where I was bound for to clear a neighbors drive. It was also 11:30 at night.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000932.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	517705
    mjncad, Gizmo2, pcabe5 and 17 others like this.
    1025r
    H120 Loader w/Ken's hooks, Pirhana Bar, Ratchet Rake, Bucket Tamer Shoes, front quick hitch
    260 Backhoe w/Ken's hook, BXpanded Thumb, Bro-Tec Ripper Tooth
    Artillian Diverter kit. Grapple w/Fangs, loader arm mounted 54 snow blade w/ wings, 24" forks
    54" Rock Bucket
    Ballast box
    I-Match
    Box Blade
    Back Blade
    3pt CarryAll
    Boom Pole
    Artillian Front Hoe
    RimGuard in all 4
    2" Wheel Spacers
    Heavy Hitch
    Block Heater
    HLA 60" Snow Pusher w/Backdrag Blade
    Tektite hard side heated cab

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:49 PM
    Thanks
    Ouch! I've had lug nuts come loose before, but no wheels fall off.

Sorry to say that you will probably need new lug bolts. The threads will probably be screwed up pretty badly.
    DRobinson, pcabe5, rtgt and 10 others like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:36 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Not a good feeling. Hope there isn't any damage to the tractor, other than broken wheel bolts.
    mjncad, pcabe5, rtgt and 9 others like this.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------

" If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"? - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:59 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    Ouch! I've had lug nuts come loose before, but no wheels fall off.

Sorry to say that you will probably need new lug bolts. The threads will probably be screwed up pretty badly.
    It may have also messed up the bolt whole threads inside the spacers.

'17 John Deere 1025R FEL
    '16 Cub Cadet Tank SZ 54" cut
    (3) 80 Dump Cart
    18 Dump Cart
    mjncad, rtgt, Levi and 6 others like this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 07:42 PM
    Thanks
    Oh,,,, NUTS!!+

I purchased new tires at Sears a couple decades ago,,
    they just finger installed the lug nuts,, I did not get 100 feet before I knew something was wrong,,,

Luckily,, we found the entire dozen nuts that fell off,,,

Boy was that store manager embarrassed,,
    on top of the fact that I had known him as a friend for 2 decades,,, ++++++++

That was my LAST Sears auto service,,,, thank goodness Sams Club was there to take over,,,
    mjncad, pcabe5, rtgt and 9 others like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

8. Top | #6
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Boy your heart is about sunk by now. Hope there is nothing more. Let us know how it turns out.
    rtgt, Levi, BigJim55 and 4 others like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks
    I assume you have already called the dealer??????

Dave
    mjncad, rtgt, Levi and 6 others like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:54 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,430 Posts
    The good news, if there is any, is that the spacers threads are likely damaged, instead of the axle flange threads. The wheel spacer can be replaced easily and you can wait for new spacers and run without them. Axle replacement isn't a terrible job, but it's a lot bigger than simply replacing the wheel spacer.

That is assuming the wheel came off the spacer and not that the spacer is bolted to the inside of the wheel. It almost looks like there are bolts in the wheel still. Is that the case? If so, it would seem the spacer came off the axle, which likely means a bigger repair and more down time.

If the wheel did come off the spacer, then I would remove the wheel spacers and go without them until you can get a new one.

The more I think about this, the more I have a sinking feeling that the wheel spacer is bolted to the inside of the wheel which came off. It would make sense that he forgot to tighten the spacer onto the hub and then tightened the wheel onto the spacer. I hope that's not the case, but I bet it is.............

Please let us know and provide any other pictures you can......If it is off the spacer, a floor jack under the rear of the tractor and jack it up and reinstall the wheel if the axle flange is OK, just make sure to use the right tapered wheel bolts........

Now that I think about it, I wonder if he put the wheel studs on the spacer and the spacer mounting hardware out on the wheel? Some of the spacers use a different taper and that would explain the loosening if it was done that way.......It goes without saying, but I am saying it anyways, carefully check the right side as well........

That' why I like to do all of this stuff myself.....So I know it's done right. Sad to say................

The tractor isn't leaking any fuel is it? The tank is right up in that area where the wheel is laying inside the wheel well.......Stuff like this really sucks.......

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    07-17-2018 @ 07:47 PM
    Thanks
    The absolute best news is that you’re safe! The tractor can be fixed and if it couldn’t be they make new ones every day.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Traderdell For This Useful Post:

Daveb (12-28-2017)

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 989 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fishbait View Post
    Almost done with clearing the 8" snow we got Christmas Day when I suddenly got a sinking feeling. The left rear wheel had fallen off the tractor!

Could be due to my dealer not torquing the bolts when he installed the 2" wheel spacers. I put 4 hours on the tractor since install of the spacers and had planned to retorque the lug bolts after finishing storm clean up.

Anyway, I'm dead in the water with high temps today of 12 degrees and stiff wind and even colder for the next 8-10 days. Fortunately, it happened in my driveway and not a mile down the road where I was bound for to clear a neighbors drive. It was also 11:30 at night.
    Damn!!
    That's a big deal, could have been a dangerous deal also.
    I would definitely have a long talk with the dealer, shouldn't have happened.
    Hope there's no damage except for a need of new lug bolts.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 45 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast