Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: 1025r Block heater quit

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks

1025r Block heater quit

Well I'm scratching my head. Saturday I went out and plugged in the block heater as its been -13°C (8.6°F) for a daytime high! It was plugged in for about 1 1/2 hrs. Company showed up so no tractor work that day. I went out and unplugged it. Sunday I again went out plugged it in and nothing. No sizzling, I left it plugged in and like I usually do I went out to the barn an hour later and felt the engine block, it was cold! The tractor will be three years old in March and I have never plugged it in and left it. 1-1.5 hrs is tops for plugging it in. I put my old analogue metre on each end of the plug and it shows resistance so the plug is good. Now I put the meter on the two prongs of the heater and again it sweeps the needle a little bit. I'm not up on this stuff but I remember checking an oven element that way and the burnt out one showed nothing and the new one would move the needle. So here I am! Are they prone to burning out? Thanks for any info.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Laurie

John Deere 1025r TLB, Frontier 54" Rear Blower with hydraulics , 54" Quick Connect Mower, 49" Frontier Tiller, iMatch Hitch, Ballast Box, 42" Adjustable Front Tines, 48" Frontier Box Blade, Light Guards, Rear Work Light, Front ROPS Mounted Utility Lights, Block Heater.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,325 Times in 2,598 Posts
    Block heaters do let go as they are simple heating elements. They are subject to heat cycles and vibration damage.

What does your meter read if you put it on the terminals and set for ohms?
    BigJim55 and Marlin like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    05-07-2019 @ 04:32 PM
    Thanks
    Make sure that your power outlet has power and also check your extension cord if using one! I have seen cord have bad ends or the cord was frayed and shorted
    Last edited by DaveX730; 01-01-2018 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Additional
    chex313, BigJim55, Marlin and 2 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks
    Would not a heat gun set on low blowing at the bottom of the engine for about a half hour do the trick.

Goal is to make oil flow easier in the cold.
    Marlin likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Block heaters do let go as they are simple heating elements. They are subject to heat cycles and vibration damage.

What does your meter read if you put it on the terminals and set for ohms?
    I put my digital multi meter on it and it shows nothing. Put the alarm on the meter and again nothing. Like I said I am not up on the use of multi meters. But I think it's done for. I have one ordered from Parts For Trucks. They cross referenced the JD # and the one they found looks the same in the pic and is 400 watts. With a 3/4" pipe thread @ $51 VS JD's $128 CDN. Time will tell if it's the same.
    BigJim55, keane, Marlin and 2 others like this.
    Laurie

John Deere 1025r TLB, Frontier 54" Rear Blower with hydraulics , 54" Quick Connect Mower, 49" Frontier Tiller, iMatch Hitch, Ballast Box, 42" Adjustable Front Tines, 48" Frontier Box Blade, Light Guards, Rear Work Light, Front ROPS Mounted Utility Lights, Block Heater.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
    I put my digital multi meter on it and it shows nothing. Put the alarm on the meter and again nothing. Like I said I am not up on the use of multi meters. But I think it's done for. I have one ordered from Parts For Trucks. They cross referenced the JD # and the one they found looks the same in the pic and is 400 watts. With a 3/4" pipe thread @ $51 VS JD's $128 CDN. Time will tell if it's the same.
    You should read approximately 36 ohms with your meter set to "Resistance". It will vary from heater to heater a little bit. If you are seeing an open circuit, the heater is bad. Make sure you measure on the terminals of the heater itself (with the cord unplugged). This way you rule out a broken wire or other fault in the cord.
    Last edited by keane; 01-07-2018 at 10:47 PM. Reason: missing letter
    Marlin and Valley Boy like this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:17 PM
    Thanks
    I purchased my block heaters from Amazon earlier this year for 19.06ea. I see they are nearly double now:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I still had to order the adapter from JD.
    keane and Marlin like this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:24 AM
    Thanks
    Do you always unplug the heater before starting? Starting the engine while they are plugged in seems to kill them quick,
    1984 JD 316 w/ cat 0 3-pt hitch and 2000 rpm pto, 48" tiller, 49" snowblower, 42" belly mower
    2015 JD 1025r, 60d MMM, 54" front mounted snowblower, Heavy hitch, Ballast box
    1980 JD 1050 4wd, JD 75 loader, IH 60" brush hog
    1980? Satoh S550g Elk, 60" belly mower
    McCulloch Saws - 1970's Mini Mac 30; Mac 10-10
    1978 Ariens Sno-Thro 32"; Troy-Bilt 24" snoblower
    1996 Polaris 680 Ultra Snowmobile, 2004 Yamaha Raptor 660, 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570
    1996 KTM EXC 300
    Gravely ZT-HD 60"

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:39 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,090 Times in 2,255 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AJgrn78 View Post
    Do you always unplug the heater before starting? Starting the engine while they are plugged in seems to kill them quick,
    We went through this at work years ago. Guys were starting their trucks while still plugged in and burning out the block heaters. With this example they were Mack trucks and the block heater was up high above the water pump. When you started the truck there would be a momentary lack of coolant at the heater which burned it out instantly.

The block heater on these tractors is down low, but after learning what I did I always unplug equipment before starting it. I don’t know if the same thing can happen with the position of the heater on these tractors buy why take a chance?
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

130Oxbow (01-10-2018)

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Well to follow up I got a new blockheater and installed. Got it at a local company Parts For Trucks. $ 42.50 vs JD $128.00. Sorry JD but that's too much of a difference!! It was a Zero Start and I used the cord that came with the first one as the new cord is way too long. I had the thread dope from when I did my rear hydraulic setup. But used teflon tape as well as per some of what I read on here and no leaks :-) I didn't bother with the drain in the block, just drained the radiator and took out the old heater replaced with the new one and filled up the rad with fresh coolant and good to go. I used the tractor a few hours before using the new blockheater to make sure no air was trapped in the area. I went a little further and bought a couple Wi Fi plugs as seen in the picture. Wednesday my day off I awoke to a good amount of snow to clear so with my new phone App I turned on the plug in my building and noted the time. After breakfast out I went, 30 mins later. Turned off the plug and unplugged the extension cord, put up the door and cleaned the area of snow. I felt that was enough time to cool the element before starting. And away it went. Just like starting in summer. I love the ability to remotely start the blockheater when I leave work and 30 mins later when I arrive home. The tractor is ready to start. Perfect. Thanks to the guys that posted on here about their remote Wi Fi plugs. And their processes on changing their failed blockheater.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3105.jpg  
    Kennyd, Tomfive and HomesteadJoe like this.
    Laurie

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast