• 2 Post By Kennyd
  • 1 Post By sthavens

Thread: Model 750 not starting

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-20-2018 @ 04:16 PM
    Thanks

Model 750 not starting

Hi all, new to JD tractors and, well, tractors in general. A couple of weeks ago, I plowed my driveway with my JD, which is marked as a model 67, although, from research, it would appear to be a 750. Got about 1/2 way done then had to leave for a few hours.

When I came back, the tractor would not start. The starter motor does not seem to engage at all. In addition, when I inspected the motor, I found a loose wire (has black sheathing but the color of the inner wire is white with what looks like a pink stripe but could be red), which could be the culprit. I will attach a photo of it (sorry, the forum turned the photos upside down) and where I think that it might go, although I do not recognize, nor have I been able to find any sort of identifier as to what it is. It looks like a glow plug to me, but I honestly haven't worked on a non-marine diesel engine that was designed or built after 1980. If it is a glow plug, that's not the issue as I use a block heater.

There is only a clicking sound when I turn the key to the start position. It seems to be coming from the gas tank, so I'm guessing that it is a fuel pump, although my hearing sucks, at best.

Following are the solutions that I have tried:

I have tried jumping it with both a dedicated booster and with my jeep, but it does not seem to improve the situation.

I have tried shorting the starter to get it to turn and it does not.

I have looked at about 50 different wiring diagrams that say that they're for this model, but none of them seem to have a wire that matches the loose one.

Any help that you fine people could give would be much appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Loose Wire.jpg   Unidentified part.jpg  
    Last edited by sthavens; 01-03-2018 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Photos are upside down.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-07-2019 @ 01:07 PM
    Thanks
    I’d say you have some dirty or worn brushes in start motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Robert Johnson

2012 JD 1026R , 120 loader, forks, quick hitch and 54" hyd snow blade, 60" Auto connect
    260 backhoe, bro-tek thumb and ripper plow
    Omni Mfg rear weight bar and ripper- trailer hitch

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rcjohns View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree, is there some sort of solenoid to engage the starter? That would also be an easy fix. Is that where you by passed the circuit? The brushes replacement and solenoid replacement is covered in many you tubes. With a volt ohm meter you should be able to ring out the problem.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    05-07-2019 @ 04:32 PM
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=genesusie;2520082]
    Quote Originally Posted by rcjohns View Post

Sent from my iPhone

Agree, is there some sort of solenoid to engage the starter? That would also be an easy fix. Is that where you by passed the circuit? The brushes replacement and solenoid replacement is covered in many you tubes. With a volt ohm meter you should be able to ring out the problem.
    Agree, sounds like a starter problem.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by genesusie View Post
    I was thinking it was likely a starter problem, but the loose wire in the picture is what threw me for a bit of a loop, wasn't sure if that had anything to do with it. In that same picture is the starter motor with, what I'm pretty sure is, the solenoid attached to the bottom (it is the bolt with the cover slightly pulled back and the 2-3 wires in it). I jumped that across to the ground and just sparked, didn't engage the starter at all.

I do have a multimeter. That pole read 12.8v the other day. What additional steps should I use to try to diagnose where the problem lies?

Thank you all for your help so far!

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:02 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,081 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sthavens View Post
    ...with my JD, which is marked as a model 67, although, from research, it would appear to be a 750. ...
    Welcome to GTT,
    The "loader" is the model # 67, your tractor is most likely the # 750 as you guessed. I'll change the title for you ;)

TractorData.com John Deere 750 tractor information
    Gizmo2 and Superglidesport like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:04 PM
    Thanks
    My dad recently had to service the starter on his 750, but I think it was just the starter drive that he needed to replace.

Sounds like the fork that attaches to the solenoid and engages the starter drive might be broke on yours, I’d start by replacing the starter.
    1984 JD 316 w/ cat 0 3-pt hitch and 2000 rpm pto, 48" tiller, 49" snowblower, 42" belly mower
    2015 JD 1025r, 60d MMM, 54" front mounted snowblower, Heavy hitch, Ballast box
    1980 JD 1050 4wd, JD 75 loader, IH 60" brush hog
    1980? Satoh S550g Elk, 60" belly mower
    McCulloch Saws - 1970's Mini Mac 30; Mac 10-10
    1978 Ariens Sno-Thro 32"; Troy-Bilt 24" snoblower
    1996 Polaris 680 Ultra Snowmobile, 2004 Yamaha Raptor 660, 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570
    1996 KTM EXC 300
    Gravely ZT-HD 60"

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your replies. We finally figured it out and it seems to be either a bad spring or a bad switch on the rear differential lock.

It sounds silly but I guess that if the diff is locked, the starter is disabled. What is happening is that the lever for the lock (as of its worsening today) needs to be pulled all the way to the top whereas before, if it were simply disengaged, the starter would be enabled.

I'll be trying to figure out which it is, but, since I really did not have much experience with the tractor running correctly (I think that it ran correctly for me about 4 times), I don't so much know how it is supposed to look.
    fdmars likes this.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements