Impressions of the new JD 1 series after 20 hours and some heavy snow removal.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Impressions of the new JD 1 series after 20 hours and some heavy snow removal.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:49 AM
    Thanks

Impressions of the new JD 1 series after 20 hours and some heavy snow removal.

Hello,
    So this fall we picked up a new 2017 1023e with 120r loader and Frontier SB1148 rear mount snowblower. I know someone with a 1025r which ultimately pushed us into a 1 series vs an x700 when we went to trade in our x310/w 44" front mount snowblower. The x310 provided 4 good years of mowing and snow removal duties, but it was time to move on and after last winters heavy wet high accumulation storms we knew we needed something with some more grunt to get the snow cleared quicker with less messing around. About 3 belts, endless shear pins and alot of choice words later, the decision to trade up was easy.
    But I digress, when buying I was a little worried I would miss the cpl extra HP of the 1025. In the end, I dident value the extra lighting or the position control 3PH and better seat enough to cough up the $1800 for a 1025r and after some aggressive dealer pricing, we went 1023e.
    Having been hammered here in Maine with snow this year to date I have had ample seat time and can say with surety that the tractor has plenty of power to move and blow snow. Im still a bit taken aback by how well it chews through 2' drifts and frozen banks. I have yet to back into something it will not chew through with relative ease. 6" or so cleanups are done in high range with the engine rpm around 2200ish-2500 tops. I rarely find myself setting the engine rpm up fully to get 540rpm at the PTO. Only when hitting huge drifts or moving large piles of spoil across the driveway will I bring the engine rpm up that high and usually only for a quick pass.
    The loader is finally breaking in a bit and control seems to be smoothing out. Having used quite a few of the small orange tractors I have been pleasantly suprised at how well the JD operates. I moved a couple snow banks the other day and I found myself just operating it vs trying to figure out how to get the loader to curl and lift at the same time, it just felt natural. Im certainly stoked to use it for some earth work this summer. Mowing with it will probably feel a tad silly as I only have about an acre to mow, but the purchase was more for snow removal, loader work and the backhoe in the future. The fact that it mows as well is just a bonus.
    The 4 -55w lights I installed are working great and my only complaint at this point is no fault of JD, we should have bought the Curtis cab snd heater from the start..... I can say with certainty I will not go another winter without one.
    If it would ever stop snowing and warm up beyond 0°f maybe I could work on the auxillary hydraulics for the rear, but that doesent look good anytime soon. Really wish I would have had them install the hydraulic chute angle and rotation and the rear SCV, but I can only imagine how much the dealer would have charged to do some custom hydraulic work to the tractor. :/ They wanted $160.00 to install a single hook in the bucket.... To which I said no, ill weld ot myself this summer and spray paint it green for about $5......

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:05 PM
    Thanks
    Glad to see your gettin quality seat time ...but

Dave's 2012 1026R TLB,54"MMM Auto Attach,Ken's hooks&clevis,Artillian 36' Forks and a KennyPedal WH 520H 48" Snow Blade,48" Deck379 Peterbuilt (3 Million Miles in a big truck)

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:00 PM
    Thanks
    Sounds like you are having all the fun.
    Robnik and PJR832 like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chex313 View Post
    Glad to see your gettin quality seat time ...but

Yeah i know, i have to have snap a few photos......
    etcallhome, chex313, Levi and 2 others like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifterbike View Post
    Sounds like you are having all the fun.
    I felt a bit silly trying the snowblower earlier in the year with on 3" on the ground, now its earning its keep for sure. In all honesty, though it is surely a heck of alot more enjoyable this year with the new machine. Something about the sound of a diesel makes me grin too.
    chex313, Levi, Robnik and 1 others like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:37 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac View Post
    They wanted $160.00 to install a single hook in the bucket.... To which I said no, ill weld ot myself this summer and spray paint it green for about $5......
    Don't waste time welding on the bucket. Ken's bolt-on hooks are much better.

Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks <<Home>>
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    They wanted $160.00 to install a single hook in the bucket.... To which I said no, ill weld ot myself this summer and spray paint it green for about $5......
    Don't waste time welding on the bucket. Ken's bolt-on hooks are much better.

Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks
    I had looked at those, always just welded a hook on in the past but would be willing to try a bolt on for ease of installation. Was wondering how well the bolts held up?
    PJR832 likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    05-04-2019 @ 09:21 AM
    Thanks
    How much snow did you guys get Maineiac?
    I am pretty much near Waterville and got 14"
    I too have a 1023e but with a front thrower. I debated long and hard to get a rear one. In the end it was a matter of turning around over the money part of it. A cab is on the list of must things to have here in Maine. It is up to the review board (wife) if we should follow through with that one this yr.
    Get your fire lit...gonna be a cold weekend up hea.
    genesusie, Levi and PJR832 like this.
    2014 1023e John Deere
    H120 Loader
    60" Auto-connect mower deck w/JD mulching kit
    49" Frontier Tiller 1149
    47" John Deere 2 stage snow eater
    48" Titan forks

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-12-2019 @ 03:31 PM
    Thanks

Bolt the hooks on

I had looked at those, always just welded a hook on in the past but would be willing to try a bolt on for ease of installation. Was wondering how well the bolts held up?
    I have 2210 SCUT JD and had always wished for hooks on the bucket, I also installed a 3/8"X2" flat stock to bottom of inside bucket, then drilled bucket and tapped the flat stock for bolts and attacked the hooks with according bolts, N lock washers, It has held up well for more than 7 years and they are open hooks. Like then better than chain hooks as they are more versatile for my application. Just a couple of CENTS worth of my thoughts, ENJOY READIN GA ND BEING A PART OF THE GROUP, Here a the greentractortalk.com Being looking around for awhile and finally but the bullet and signed up,

THANKS,

WALTMART
    PJR832 likes this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:37 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Kenny has some pretty interesting stress testing data on his website but after using mine for over 4 years I'm comfortable saying that you will likely severely damage your bucket long before the bolts or hooks let go.

I recommend mounting them with the clevis backing plate for extra strength and functionality. As you can see below I have the hooks on each side with a clevis underneath and then a 2" receiver hitch in the middle with a clevis underneath. I originally had a hook in the middle but found I never used it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo38.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	522682

Name:	photo32.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	522690

Name:	E26R3940.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	522674
    chex313, Levi, blue87fj60 and 5 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast