Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Gelled Fuel in 1025r

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-10-2018 @ 06:59 PM
    Thanks

Gelled Fuel in 1025r

We’ve had some brutally cold temps for 2 weeks now in MA. Went to snowblow today with the 1025r, no go. Plugged in the block heater, let it heat for 45 minutes, then started it and let let run for another 10. Ran fine while warming up, but as soon as I engaged the blower, it chugged and bogged down real bad, and then quit. Looked in the tank and it was fine, secondary fuel filter on the side of the engine looked fine, looked at the inline filter under the left floorboard and it looks like it’s full of lard. Was able to get it started again 10 minutes later to get it back in the shed.

I run the PS winter formula, but when I filled my diesel tanks, they may have still been on the summer fuel.

Will this ungel if I heat the lines and filter enough? I don’t want to run Diesel 911. I have a spare inline filter, but I just changed it for n the fall so I’d rather not do it again unless I have to.

What’s the best way to get the lines and filter ungelled? I was thinking about covering the tractor with a tarp and running a heater under it. What temperature will diesel ungel?
    2013 1025R
    H120 / 260BH
    54 Snowblower
    Artillian 42" Forks
    Imatch
    PSRumors Springs
    Kens Bolt On Hooks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Hiya,

A lot of people are finding they have fuel issues with the cold this winter. First off, heat is your friend. get a torpedo heater and aim it at the tractor, hopefully while it's in a barn or shelter and let it get warm. Go get gallon of kerosene, once the tractor is warm from the heater, put the kerosene in the tank and let it sit for a bit and work. The combination of the heat and kerosene should allow the paraffin to return to solution and the fuel to thin to a liquid.

Read this post I did for tips on how to live with a Diesel in cold temps: http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...esel-fuel.html
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:01 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormandrewd View Post
    ...the inline filter under the left floorboard and it looks like it’s full of lard.
    Like this?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	filter.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	522578

Rest assured you are not alone. Normally I buy my fuel at the local Co-op that caters to farmers and truckers, never had gelling problems. Because the fuel jug was empty, the convenience store handy on the way home from work, and I've used their summer fuel with out issue; has been nothing but problems. Replaced the filter, drained/replaced the fuel and she's good to go.
    PJR832 likes this.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    11-10-2018 @ 06:59 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56Nine View Post
    Like this?

Rest assured you are not alone. Normally I buy my fuel at the local Co-op that caters to farmers and truckers, never had gelling problems. Because the fuel jug was empty, the convenience store handy on the way home from work, and I've used their summer fuel with out issue; has been nothing but problems. Replaced the filter, drained/replaced the fuel and she's good to go.
    Exactly like that. There isn’t any gelling in the tank (the fuel in the tank has the PS winterizer); so I may not have to drain and refill the fuel, the wintrizer may have just not worked it’s way into the lines ( I filled it up and probably didn’t run it long enough to get it through all the lines).

If there is gelling in the lines/injectors, how to I clear that out?
    PJR832 likes this.
    2013 1025R
    H120 / 260BH
    54 Snowblower
    Artillian 42" Forks
    Imatch
    PSRumors Springs
    Kens Bolt On Hooks

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:40 AM
    Thanks
    Exactly like that. There isn’t any gelling in the tank (the fuel in the tank has the PS winterizer); so I may not have to drain and refill the fuel, the wintrizer may have just not worked it’s way into the lines ( I filled it up and probably didn’t run it long enough to get it through all the lines).

If there is gelling in the lines/injectors, how to I clear that out?
    As Tomd suggested...HEAT and kerosene.
    PJR832 likes this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:34 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    I run the PS winter formula, but when I filled my diesel tanks, they may have still been on the summer fuel.
    I would have thought treated summer fuel would be ok. I only use about 10-gallons of fuel a year. As a result when winter gets here I still have a full tank of whatever I bought in the summer along with a few gallons in my dispenser - all treated with JD Summer Fuel Protect. I used to drain out all my summer fuel in the fall, dump it in my heating oil tank, and then refill with fresh diesel and treat with JD Winter Fuel Protect.

Then I read on a JD site that you can use the Winter Fuel Protect all year if you like. So that is what I have been doing. I no longer drain out my summer fuel. What I have in the tractor now is fuel I bought in the summer, treated with the JD Winter Fuel Protect. So far, even though the temps have been around zero I don't think I see any gelling. We haven't had any snow lately and I'm not going to start the tractor just to see if it starts. But I looked in the tank and it looks ok. The clear bowl on the water separator looks ok. And I have about 1/2 gallon of the leftover treated summer fuel in the bottom of my 5-gallon can and it looks clear and shloshes around like water.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that treated summer fuel is ok.
    PJR832 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Like this?

If your filter looks like that, chuck it, it's never going to flow properly again even if you soak it in Diesel 911. As I said, heat is your friend, heating the tractor and consequently the fuel in the lines, filters and tank above 50 degrees F will allow the paraffin to go back into solution.

When you treated with PS did you use the "normal" dosage or the "cold temp" ratio? Basically the normal is for down to a little below freezing and the cold temp dose is for below 0F according to the label IIRC. Adding kerosene at 20% will further the cold temp ability of the fuel.

2 things happen to Diesel as it cools, the first is clouding, this is when the paraffin begins to come out of solution and collect. When it does this the molecules form square blocks, As more comes out of solution, these blocks form large structures that are just the right size to get stopped by the filters. The squares stack very well and will form a barrier to flow. When you add winter treatment, it changes the paraffin chemically so when it falls out of solution it no longer forms blocks, it forms thin strands. These strands either pass through the filter element because they are smaller than the micron rating of the filter or lay down on the surface like a bunch of sticks, since some fuel can flow through the collection of sticks, the filter still flows.

The second thing that happens is that the liquid part of the fuel thickens with declining temps, this will continue until the fuel is a solid. The fuel is still a fuel however the pumps can't move it so the equipment stops running.

Winter treatment lowers the temp that clouding and gelling occur and chemically alter the paraffin to that filters are able to deal with it.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tomd999 For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike (01-06-2018)

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:01 PM
    Thanks
    Like this?

Quote Originally Posted by tomd999 View Post
    If your filter looks like that, chuck it, it's never going to flow properly again even if you soak it in Diesel 911. As I said, heat is your friend, heating the tractor and consequently the fuel in the lines, filters and tank above 50 degrees F will allow the paraffin to go back into solution.
    Your comment about Diesel 911 reminded me that the tractor first started having issues a couple of days ago, against my better judgement I put in some 911. Got it running thought it was good to go, used it for maybe 30 minutes. After much more reading in the forum, I realized the 911 was not the right thing to do after it gelled the second time and then corrected by draining the fuel and replacing the filter. This filter had 911 in the fuel mix for over 48 hours and is proof that it has negligible effects on the previously gelled fuel. It got the tractor running, but certainly was not the "magic fix"

Man, I'm ready for some balmy 30* weather....
    PJR832 and bvbearcat like this.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:05 AM
    Thanks
    Diesel 911 is very popular in WI.

2016 2032R w/H130, 53" Bucket, Frontier AP12F Pallets Forks, 5’ King Kutter Rotary Tiller, TSC Carry-All, Engine Block Heater.
    2000 345 w/48c Mower Deck, Front Bumper, Halogen Lights, Governor at Max RPM. 367hrs
    1990 Push Mower, electric start, rear bagger.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    05-06-2018 @ 11:21 AM
    Thanks
    One of the things guys do; is add an anti gel supplement to the tank. They then don't run the engine long enough to get the treated fuel in the lines and filter. Then the untreated fuel gels in the lines and filter gels up.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, 56Nine and 1 others like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast