Close calls

Thread: Close calls

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-30-2013 @ 07:29 PM
    Thanks

Close calls

Was hauling a fairly large stump up the road the other day with the FEL. Didn't have it quite centred and the road was banked a bit. Tractor started to tip, but I cut it the way it was going and lowered the stump, which brought the rear tire back down. Bit of a close call, and it sounds worse than what it was.

I'd be interested in hearing about close calls from others.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 672 Posts
    Whew, glad you caught it in time. Loader work is probably the most dangerous task on a tractor. I have yet to experience the "close call" and would prefer not to.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:11 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,074 Times in 2,540 Posts
    Yup, good reaction to drop the loader! Sounds like you need more weight on the 3PH.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    05-26-2019 @ 05:02 PM
    Thanks
    I think this counts as a close call...

Was trying to move a hay bale with the backhoe boom in tall grass and got into more slope than I though. The whole property was new to me.

Maybe if I had tried to use an iMatch to move a hay bale I would have been safe...

Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kabota_tipped1.jpg   kabota_tipped2.jpg  
    '09 JD4520 Cab (60HP), '97 KubotaB21 TLB (21HP), 400cx loader, MX6 rotary mower, SB1106 6' Sickle Bar, BB3272 6' box blade, GradeMaster 7' Landplane, Frontier AF11E Front Blade, 4' Pallet Forks, 6' landscape rake, ballast box, Woods GTC 40" tiller, PHD 9" auger, 4' x 8' chain harrow, '16 X755 (23HP Diesel) w/front PTO, 60" deck, 72" front blade, '90 JD318 (18HP gas) with 48" MM mower, 54" front blade, 47" snowblower.
    Volunteer Firefighter.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eepete View Post
    Pete
    Holy smoke Pete, that looks like way more than a close call. Hope you or anyone did not get hurt. The really good news is it wasn't the green one.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    My dam fault, loader was high, and so was the weight box. Won't happen again....

Quote Originally Posted by RandyM View Post
    Whew, glad you caught it in time. Loader work is probably the most dangerous task on a tractor. I have yet to experience the "close call" and would prefer not to.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Got the box jam full of granite rocks, chain, and a heavy pull tong. I'm pretty sure it was a combo of a high loader, high ballast box, mixed in with a touch of stupidity, and sloping curve....

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Yup, good reaction to drop the loader! Sounds like you need more weight on the 3PH.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Ouch, much damage, particularily to you?

Was trying to move a hay bale with the backhoe boom in tall grass and got into more slope than I though. The whole property was new to me.

Maybe if I had tried to use an iMatch to move a hay bale I would have been safe...

Pete

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    05-26-2019 @ 05:02 PM
    Thanks
    Didn't have my seat belt on, so I hiked up using the rops as it went over. As soon as it landed, I hopped down and killed the engine. Not a scratch on me, but I needed a change of undershorts.

I don't go where I don't know the lay of the land now. 2 days later, I had a wrecker wright the tractor and pull it up. Off to the shop it went, and all the fluids were changed then it was fired up. No real damage, the FOPS at the top has a little wrinkle in it.

The other close call that I suspect many have had is the going down a slope with a heavy load in the bucket and the back brakes don't work. Did that once, steered through it. Now I don't go down some slopes around the property without putting things in 4WD if there is _anything_ in the FEL. And that's with a backhoe on the back, I can't imagine no weight back there at all.

Whenever possible, I take luck over skill . May we all survive our close calls.

Pete
    '09 JD4520 Cab (60HP), '97 KubotaB21 TLB (21HP), 400cx loader, MX6 rotary mower, SB1106 6' Sickle Bar, BB3272 6' box blade, GradeMaster 7' Landplane, Frontier AF11E Front Blade, 4' Pallet Forks, 6' landscape rake, ballast box, Woods GTC 40" tiller, PHD 9" auger, 4' x 8' chain harrow, '16 X755 (23HP Diesel) w/front PTO, 60" deck, 72" front blade, '90 JD318 (18HP gas) with 48" MM mower, 54" front blade, 47" snowblower.
    Volunteer Firefighter.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    I hear ya, close calls tend to make one more cautious. Reminds me of my early motorcycling days. Had 3 close ones in one day, one almost getting hit by a train, the lights were out at the crossing. Had to go right over on the edge of the pavement and gun it to make it, train missed me by inches.

Glad to hear you faired okay on yours!

Didn't have my seat belt on, so I hiked up using the rops as it went over. As soon as it landed, I hopped down and killed the engine. Not a scratch on me, but I needed a change of undershorts.

I don't go where I don't know the lay of the land now. 2 days later, I had a wrecker wright the tractor and pull it up. Off to the shop it went, and all the fluids were changed then it was fired up. No real damage, the FOPS at the top has a little wrinkle in it.

The other close call that I suspect many have had is the going down a slope with a heavy load in the bucket and the back brakes don't work. Did that once, steered through it. Now I don't go down some slopes around the property without putting things in 4WD if there is _anything_ in the FEL. And that's with a backhoe on the back, I can't imagine no weight back there at all.

Whenever possible, I take luck over skill . May we all survive our close calls.

Pete

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements