1025R and Low Vis Hy-guard
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Winterkire
  • 1 Post By psrumors
  • 1 Post By Red badger
  • 1 Post By Winterkire
  • 1 Post By John Deere 1025R TLB

Thread: 1025R and Low Vis Hy-guard

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Online
    10-13-2015 @ 07:39 AM
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    1025R and Low Vis Hy-guard

    I am coming up on my 50 hour service for my 1025R and have found some interesting information on the trans/hydro oil. This information may have been discussed before but I could not find it on a search. I apologized if this has already been discussed.

    As per the service manual and my dealer all 1025R come from the factory with low vis hy-guard no matter where the tractor is shipped in the country. On the dip stick is says to use low vis hy-guard. However, On the back of the low vis hy-guard bottle is says to use in ambient temps from -44 to 86 degrees F. On the bottle of Hy-guard is says to use in ambient temps of some around -15 to 122 degrees F. I have questioned several people at my dealer on this as my 1025R is used in 90 degrees plus quite often. Me dealer tells me that Deere says to use the low-vis in the 1025R and other Scut and mowers not matter what the ambient temp is because it hydrostat trans needs the low vis. The standard hy-guard is not designed to be used in those hydrostats. Has anyone heard of this? Is anyone using the standard hy-guard?

    I have owned a 445 for 16 years and been using the low-vis in it's hydrostat and never had a problem with it. And I have mowed many many times in 100 degrees plus for 6 and 8 hours at a time. So maybe there is no problem here. Just a little second guessing myself with the product label contradicting what the manufacture is recommending. Thanks.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenFever52 For This Useful Post:

    bearfoot (08-02-2014)

  3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  4. Top | #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:43 AM
    Location
    Texas Panhandle
    Posts
    931
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 90 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenFever52 View Post
    I am coming up on my 50 hour service for my 1025R and have found some interesting information on the trans/hydro oil. This information may have been discussed before but I could not find it on a search. I apologized if this has already been discussed.

    As per the service manual and my dealer all 1025R come from the factory with low vis hy-guard no matter where the tractor is shipped in the country. On the dip stick is says to use low vis hy-guard. However, On the back of the low vis hy-guard bottle is says to use in ambient temps from -44 to 86 degrees F. On the bottle of Hy-guard is says to use in ambient temps of some around -15 to 122 degrees F. I have questioned several people at my dealer on this as my 1025R is used in 90 degrees plus quite often. Me dealer tells me that Deere says to use the low-vis in the 1025R and other Scut and mowers not matter what the ambient temp is because it hydrostat trans needs the low vis. The standard hy-guard is not designed to be used in those hydrostats. Has anyone heard of this? Is anyone using the standard hy-guard?

    I have owned a 445 for 16 years and been using the low-vis in it's hydrostat and never had a problem with it. And I have mowed many many times in 100 degrees plus for 6 and 8 hours at a time. So maybe there is no problem here. Just a little second guessing myself with the product label contradicting what the manufacture is recommending. Thanks.
    My dealer told me the same thing.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3046r Cab, H165 w/61" bucket, Frontier 72"BB, MX6, and Woods TCR68" Tiller.

  5. Top | #3
    Winterkire's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    03-29-2015 @ 08:46 PM
    Location
    Linwood, MN
    Posts
    200
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
    My 2¢:

    It's not ambient temperature that specifically dictates viscosity, it's the temperature of the fluid when at working temperature. Since we don't change the fluid according to the seasons, I use the fluid that mostly falls into the ambient temperature guidelines for my use.

    I use low visc, too.

    Jd seems to be full of these broad sweeping specifications that are quite confusing and contradicting.

    Gizmo2 likes this.
    155c w/42" snowblower, lawn sweeper, cart 'n stuff
    2032r w/H130 and 61" bucket, frontier forks, 46 backhoe, subsoiler, 3point receiver hitch
    Triton 16-7 trailer

  6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  7. Top | #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Location
    Cartersville (NW) GA
    Posts
    2,380
    Thanks
    103
    Thanked 365 Times in 267 Posts
    I used the regular hy-guard due to the ambient temp listed on the bottle and in the owner's manual. I keep track of pump temps when doing various work in high heat and with the regular the pump seems to stay about the same as it was last year in the heat.

    My dealer stated they put regular hy-guard in everything.

    With the regular in the tractor seems to have a little more oomph with a little more speed.
    Mrspydr likes this.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

    Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

    Stihl MS361, FS250R

  8. Top | #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Last Online
    04-03-2018 @ 11:29 AM
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    223
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 39 Times in 25 Posts
    In my area , we have three different large multi location JD Dealers, I like this as I use all three for information. With this question on which oil to use in the hydro in the 1025R they all confirm the same. Use the Low Vis
    Mrspydr likes this.

  9. Top | #6
    Winterkire's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    03-29-2015 @ 08:46 PM
    Location
    Linwood, MN
    Posts
    200
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by psrumors View Post
    I used the regular hy-guard due to the ambient temp listed on the bottle and in the owner's manual. I keep track of pump temps when doing various work in high heat and with the regular the pump seems to stay about the same as it was last year in the heat.

    My dealer stated they put regular hy-guard in everything.

    With the regular in the tractor seems to have a little more oomph with a little more speed.
    Umm... Low visc j20d has just over 2 centistokes thinner than j20c at 100°C, and at 40°C it's 26 centistokes thinner; thinner oil may mean less protection from shear wear, but faster flow due to less resistance.

    Call it psychsomatic but I swear my loader and hoe working speed increased, and my feathering of the controls was easier after changing to Low

    Gizmo2 likes this.
    155c w/42" snowblower, lawn sweeper, cart 'n stuff
    2032r w/H130 and 61" bucket, frontier forks, 46 backhoe, subsoiler, 3point receiver hitch
    Triton 16-7 trailer

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Winterkire For This Useful Post:

    Gizmo2 (08-03-2014)

  11. Top | #7
    etcallhome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:18 PM
    Location
    Preston County WV
    Posts
    13,483
    Thanks
    3,297
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,607 Posts
    The other week when the tractor was delivered I also bought 6 gal of hyd fluid . Till now I had no idea what , I just looked at the invoice Low Hy-guard.
    Gene

    Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

  12. Top | #8
    John Deere 1025R TLB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:43 PM
    Location
    Scranton, PA Area
    Posts
    2,450
    Thanks
    114
    Thanked 169 Times in 157 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterkire View Post
    My 2¢:

    It's not ambient temperature that specifically dictates viscosity, it's the temperature of the fluid when at working temperature. Since we don't change the fluid according to the seasons, I use the fluid that mostly falls into the ambient temperature guidelines for my use.

    I use low visc, too.

    Jd seems to be full of these broad sweeping specifications that are quite confusing and contradicting.

    Actually it is both. The low ambient dictates the oil flow point when the transmission is at -18F (Hyguard) or -44F (low Visc Hyguard) If trans is below -18 F with hyguard in it, it may not circulate well enough to lubricate. Conversely if above 86F with low visc Hyguard, it may not maintain sufficient fluid film integrity during hard use where the fluid temperatures rise significantly to keep the parts from contacting metal to metal. This is the reason Ron can get away with easily running Hyguard down south and those in Alaska need to run low visc hyguard. Personally for how many times the trans will get down to -18 in PA, I will put a heater on it and heat it up. I use it very hard in the summer, so I would rather the protection then. No different that your engine oil fellas. Once it is running the fluid temp will always be above ambient, it is just start up that deer is worried about. So buy a pan heater if you are worried. Unless of course your tractor is outside and it is always -18 or below. Shame on Deere if the product varies that much and they say in the book you can use either. They should be called something totally different if it is that. This cryptic nonsense of theirs needs to stop.
    Bill
    psrumors likes this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to John Deere 1025R TLB For This Useful Post:

    psrumors (08-04-2014)

  14. Top | #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Online
    08-07-2014 @ 01:28 PM
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Use the Low Vis

    Use the Low Vis, it is the "preferred" fluid. Unless you live in and constantly operate your machine in temperatures above 110 degrees you will be fine. The new technology pumps, transmissions are designed to use low vis. Remember there is a fluid cooler located in front of the radiator that WILL KEEP THE OIL TEMP in the correct operating range in hot weather. Low vis is more important when operating in cold temperatures than in high temperatures but be assured the transmission will be completely protected. I have used it for years in my machines and have NEVER had an issue. As a general rule of thumb I change my fluids and filters every 200 hours, thats just cheap insurance.

  15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •