• 2 Post By Traction
  • 1 Post By Myasis Dragon

Thread: 260 Backhoe Mounting Challenges

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-01-2016 @ 06:03 AM
    Thanks

260 Backhoe Mounting Challenges

Folks, I have a 1025R TLB with the 260 backhoe which I've used quite extensively during the 100+ hours on the machine. I've had the hoe on and off maybe 10-15 times and it usually takes about 20 minutes or so. Recently I've had a heck of a time mounting the backhoe and found that the rear PTO shield at times interferes with the backhoe frame preventing it from lining up with the mounting hooks. I've removed the shield to test if the mounting was easier and sure enough it was a breeze. Has anyone had a similar experience remounting the 260 hoe? I recognize the safety implications so I'll probably reattach the shield but I'm curious if anyone has any words of wisdom on this topic or has permanently removed the shield. Thanks for your responses.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RichInNH For This Useful Post:

etcallhome (08-17-2014)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,584 Posts
    Have had no problem with the shield... after removing the 3pt arms I always lower the shield to the down position. Thanks for the info, you never now when the info will come in handy .
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to etcallhome For This Useful Post:

RichInNH (08-18-2014)

6. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-22-2019 @ 11:56 PM
    Thanks
    I've had no issue with mine. It takes 2 minutes tops to take off or put on the backhoe. The only time I have my PTO shield up is when I'm putting on or taking off the 3 point arms; it's always down otherwise.

Here's a video of the installation (starting around the 2 minute mark): John Deere Front Loader and Backhoe Attachment Demonstration - YouTube

Now, something different that I do from the video is I always start with my backhoe frame fully on the ground. I back up to the backhoe, shut off the tractor, hook up the hydraulics, start the tractor, raise the frame up with the stabilizers, and tip the backhoe back so the lower attachment points are angled up (just like in the video). Then I back the tractor up a bit more to align the lower attachment points, and rotate the backhoe forward so it attaches at the bottom and lines up the pin holes at the top.
    jimfrits and Ultrapile like this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Traction For This Useful Post:

RichInNH (08-18-2014)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

9. Top | #4
    Last Online
    03-22-2019 @ 05:43 PM
    Thanks
    The only time I have had an issue with the PTO guard is when I accidentally left it in the up position when attaching the backhoe. It normally only takes me a couple of minutes to remove or reconnect the BH.
    Kenny
    0331 88-92 USMC Ret.
    1025R FILB; 50" FEL Bucket with 3 Ken's Bolt On Hooks, Bucket Mounted Receiver and 1 Shackle Mount; psrumors Seat Springs; 12" BH Bucket; Box Blade; 48" Rotary Cutter; 48" Tiller; Omi Manufacturing Transformer Hitch w/Weight Rack; Artillian Forks, BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar, and More to come as I can beg it out of my wife!
    Also: Ford 9n, Massy Ferguson 231 & 231s, Zeter 7711 and a Mahindra 3525

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ultrapile For This Useful Post:

RichInNH (08-18-2014)

11. Top | #5

Last Online
    06-17-2019 @ 02:51 AM
    Thanks
    Yes I had two problems with My PTO cover after the dealer installed my Backhoe. The first was the cover could not be raised and was contacting the bolt on the HYD. pump. The second was the same problem you are having. So my fix was two steps. I took the PTO mounting brackets off both sides and added two washers as spacers on all four mounting bolts. This allowed the cover to move freely up and down.

The holes on the mounting brackets had enough play in them to move the cover to the left as far as they would go. I tightened them all up and have had not problem since installing the Backhoe with no contact of the cover and the swing cylinder. If you cannot get enough clearance, you could elongate the holes if needed.

Let me know how you make out?

Dennis

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DennisM For This Useful Post:

RichInNH (08-18-2014)

13. Top | #6
    Last Online
    09-21-2019 @ 06:48 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RichInNH View Post
    Recently I've had a heck of a time mounting the backhoe and found that the rear PTO shield at times interferes with the backhoe frame preventing it from lining up with the mounting hooks. I've removed the shield to test if the mounting was easier and sure enough it was a breeze. Has anyone had a similar experience remounting the 260 hoe? I recognize the safety implications so I'll probably reattach the shield but I'm curious if anyone has any words of wisdom on this topic or has permanently removed the shield.
    I've seen this issue crop up on gtt before and I can't help but wonder if your bh was factory installed or dealer installed? If it was dealer installed, they may not have installed the correct pto shield. The shield for a 1025 with a bh should have a rubber flap on the right side instead of steel.
    Traction likes this.
    Just call me Jon, not Myasis Dragon (Hint: My a** is draggin') 2013 1025r FILB (Factory installed loader & Backhoe - 260 & H120), 60D mower w/electric over hydraulic (independent) lift, R4 tires, psrumor's seat springs, Kenny D's bolt-on hooks, bxpanded piranha tooth bar on a 49" bucket and a 61" bucket for snow and light material, County Line post hole digger, County Line landscape rake, counterfeit JD box scraper, homemade 4' x 8' farm wagon, Fimco 30 gallon 3ph sprayer.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Myasis Dragon For This Useful Post:

RichInNH (08-18-2014)

15. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Myasis Dragon View Post
    I've seen this issue crop up on gtt before and I can't help but wonder if your bh was factory installed or dealer installed? If it was dealer installed, they may not have installed the correct pto shield. The shield for a 1025 with a bh should have a rubber flap on the right side instead of steel.
    I did wonder why my PTO cover has a rubber side but I didn't correlate it with the backhoe (factory installed). I'll have to watch the shield the next time I'm pulling off/putting on the backhoe.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Traction For This Useful Post:

RichInNH (08-18-2014)

17. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    I was doing some work today and had to remove the backhoe. I remembered this thread when I went to remount the backhoe so I snapped a couple of pictures. Without a flexible rubber section on the right had side of the PTO shield, mounting the backhoe would be very difficult if not impossible with the PTO shield lowered.

Attachment 32177 Attachment 32178

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements