• 2 Post By firemachine69
  • 2 Post By 1010

Thread: Repeatable cutting height when using RC2048 with 1023E

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 10:22 AM
    Thanks

Repeatable cutting height when using RC2048 with 1023E

I didn't get good results when I mowed my 5-acre field with my new RC2048 cutter. Most of that was my fault because I didn't check the backing nut on the turnbuckle that sets the side-to-side level of the cutter. I also didn't have the front-to-back height set correctly either. Now that I know how to set both, I have another issue. My field has some holes, low spots, high spots, etc. and I frequently have to change the cutting height to get around an obstacle and I would like to be able to return the cutter the the same height each time. The 1023E doesn't have the depth stop. Do I just have to guess or does someone have a clever way of getting back to the same position every time?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-14-2019 @ 09:13 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cthomaswilson View Post
    I didn't get good results when I mowed my 5-acre field with my new RC2048 cutter. Most of that was my fault because I didn't check the backing nut on the turnbuckle that sets the side-to-side level of the cutter. I also didn't have the front-to-back height set correctly either. Now that I know how to set both, I have another issue. My field has some holes, low spots, high spots, etc. and I frequently have to change the cutting height to get around an obstacle and I would like to be able to return the cutter the the same height each time. The 1023E doesn't have the depth stop. Do I just have to guess or does someone have a clever way of getting back to the same position every time?
    Unfortunately in order to do what you want you will need a 1025r with position control.

Others might have a few "strategies" that will get you close, but you won't ever be able to achieve the consistency of what a 1025r will do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3046r Cab, H165 w/61" bucket, Frontier 72"BB, MX6, and Woods TCR68" Tiller.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 03:43 PM
    Thanks
    On other tractors that don't have position control I have seen people use chains to limit the amount the 3pt arms can drop thus setting the height like you need.

Get an extra long top link pin to go in place of the pin that connects the top link to the tractor. Hook the chain to this extra long pin and then attach the other end to the lift arms.

Hope that make sense.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

5. The Following User Says Thank You to psrumors For This Useful Post:

OldmanX(08-27-2014)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks

Don't ever leave this forum - you're too valuable!

That does make sense. In fact, I'm thinking about using a chain and hammock spring. That way, if I hit a big bump, or run into a hole (I'm capable of anything) it won't break the chain. Good suggestion!

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks

Stared at the RC2048 until it told me how to set it up

Sometimes you just have to let the attachment tell you what it needs. The hitch pins that go into the draft arms were in the upper mounting holes when I got it, but that
    allows you to drop the draft arms until the front of the rotary cutter hits the ground. That can't be right, so I moved them to the lower holes. Now, when the draft arms are in the lowest position, the cutter stops just short of hitting the ground. One problem solved. Next, I raised the draft arms till the tail wheel was off the ground and lowered it again until the tail wheel just touched the ground. At this point, I adjusted the center link until the bushing on the RC2048 center link is in the center of the slot. Now is a good time to check the front-to-back tilt of the cutter. If it's 1-2 inches lower in the front than the back, you're good to go. You should now raise the cutter to full height and make sure the tail wheel is a few inches off the ground and then lower it until that center link bushing is in the center of the slot again. Any time you make adjustments, you can get back to the correct height by centering that bushing in the slot. It's very precise.
    Last edited by cthomaswilson; 06-21-2018 at 01:13 PM.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 1,241 Posts
    I had the same problem last year with my 1023, now I have a 2025 so it's no longer an issue, and it doesn't take much of a hole to hang up a 1 series. I tried a set of chain limiters, they work but there were a couple things I didn't like about them. 1. they are made for an AG tractor and were almost too big and clumsy on my 1023, 2. I didn't like the top link on the tractor holding up most of the weight. Honestly though, given some time and more experience I think you'll find you can eye ball it pretty darn good, the more you use it the better you'll get with it.
    BigJim55 and kylew like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    Sounds like what you need is a finish mower...
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:45 PM
    Thanks
    I'm not familiar with the 1023e position lever set up. You could use tape as a visual indicator on the lever slot if you use thick enough you can just feel it and stop the position lever at the same spot each time.
    You can take a file and make a small notch or a zip tie.
    The check chains are super!

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements