Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Almost ready to buy 1025r

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-20-2018 @ 10:00 PM
    Thanks

Almost ready to buy 1025r

Tested orange vs green. 1025 vs 2370

Lots I like about orange. Hate how painful it is go get attachments on off. Did like the consistent positive comments from owners include those local to us.

I've upgrading from a 20yr old craftsman lawn tractor that has been equipped with snow blower against our 700ft very steep driveway (paved). I'm tires of having trouble making it up hill with 2wd/chains.

I do like implement simplicity for on off on the JD. Concerns below. Feedback welcome.

1- don't care for the plastic hood etc. concerned about how long it will last esp in the cold
    2- hate the rio. My wife has way too many gardens to work around. I do see there are mods to fix this.
    3- scalping issues reported. See there may be possible mods.
    4- I would like the grass catcher. The overall width is up to 72" now. Is there any other options that are lower profile.
    5- I see a number of new owner have had differential lock issues.
    6- I'm buying the snowblower but I hear I have to take off quick connect each season to handle the snowblower pto.
    7- I've been to 3 dealers. 2 won't deliver as part of the deal (want me to pick up) and the other won't give me the time of day as they primarily sell commercial. Feels like Auto dealers. Wishing I could buy like a Tesla...
    8- didn't care for plastic parts in snowblower.

Anyway leaning toward the 1025 but still not 100% sure. Going to make the decision Tuesday.

Any feedback on the above concerns and any other thoughts would be good. Orange is still a real option considering the above concerns.

Should I be considering 2 series instead. Seems a bit big for our property.
    Last edited by swampthing; 08-29-2014 at 10:22 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    05-20-2019 @ 04:24 AM
    Thanks
    I did the same comparison last year. The implement changing ease sold me and has ended up even easier than I thought originally. Now I find the 10 seconds it takes to get off the machine and lock the wheels on the mower a pain!

The use of plastics I find to be more appropriate for the use than steel. I'm not going to have rust in the future. Looked at a new car lately?

RIO is a pain but easly to disable. Huge time saver when disabled, ay least for me.

I have a scalping issue, but I also have it with my honda pushmower. My land is VERY rough, hilly, with a lot of drainage lowspots and mounds over buried rock. For what I am working with, not sure I can really evaluate.

Cockpit I found to be much more comfortable. I'm 6'2". The 2000 series was too cramped and I never seemed to get comfortable on an Orange. Seat and armrests on the 1025R fit like a glove once I added heavier springs.

Good luck. Both good machines.
    Levi likes this.
    1025R w/rear light kit, 49" H120 FEL, 12" 260 BH, 60D MMM, 2048 Rotary Cutter, BB5048L Box Blade, 50# wheel weights, 4x42#suitcase weights, 5' TSC Landscape rack, TSC modified Carry-All, 42" Titan Pallet Forks, Heavy Hitch Toothbar

D130 JD Lawn Tractor, Polaris Ranger 400, 18' Gator Made Lowboy Trailer,

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    11-07-2017 @ 10:34 AM
    Thanks
    I'll second pretty much everything Fred just said (though I have no significant
    scalping issues), and add a bit about the snowblower. Last year we had a few
    good-sized storms in the Hudson Valley, and the plow pile-up at the end of my
    driveway (and in front of my mailboxes) was pretty brutal. But my 1025R just
    chewed right through it, icy chunks and all, without so much as a single shear
    pin snapping. Time will tell, but this blower seems decently built where it counts.

Mine was an upgrade from a 10-year-old JD L130, pretty much the same deal
    as your Craftsman. The difference on slope work is night and day -- whatever
    SCUT you end up with, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

A friend has the 2 series -- he likes the extra ground clearance, but in every
    other respect seems to prefer my 1025R (every time he's on it, I hear how
    much better its seat is).

I'm surprised by your experience with the dealers (do you live prohibitively far
    away?), mine included delivery (~20 miles) and a friendly and thorough hour
    of how-to without me even having to ask. And then followed up with calls
    and emails to see how I was making out. Out of everything on your list,
    that'd be the item that concerns me the most... there's nothing worse
    than feeling like a speck on someone's annual sales report. =/
    Levi likes this.
    '13 1025r (375hrs), psrumors' seat springs, h120 fel & 52" ratchet rake, 54d mmm (autoconnect & mechanical lift), imatch, wood-decked countyline carry-all
    ballast box, artillian fronthoe & 42x3" forks w/backrest, jd 47" front snowblower w/chute actuator, everythingattachments 48" box blade & 60" scrape blade

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Spackle For This Useful Post:

Spartazoo(05-21-2016)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    Replies are in BOLD font. I also don't own either a 1025 or a 2370. The opinions expressed here are just that, take them for what they worth.

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post

1- don't care for the plastic hood etc. concerned about how long it will last esp in the cold

The hood on my 318 is from 1988. It has lasted about 25 years. I would think that the new composites would last longer and better than the plastics from the early 80s. Also keep in mind that many automotive manufactures have been using composite body panels for well over a decade. Plastic bounces back and does not rust can't say the same for metal.

2- hate the rio. My wife has way too many gardens to work around. I do see there are mods to fix this.

RIO keeps the lawyers happy. JD has implemented the safety in such a way that the average tractor owner can bypass the system with one small piece of wire or a clothespin

3- scalping issues reported. See there may be possible mods.

IMHO, this is a setup issue on most cases and is brought on by the dealer failing to properly setup the deck in the first place.

4- I would like the grass catcher. The overall width is up to 72" now. Is there any other options that are lower profile.

No comment

5- I see a number of new owner have had differential lock issues.

Again a minor adjustment issue where JD has decided to error on the side of caution and cause the diff to lock sooner when baking to the point where the diff lock doesn't release. Easily adjusted by the end user or the dealer if the issue arises.

6- I'm buying the snowblower but I hear I have to take off quick connect each season to handle the snowblower pto.

No comment

7- I've been to 3 dealers. 2 won't deliver as part of the deal (want me to pick up) and the other won't give me the time of day as they primarily sell commercial. Feels like Auto dealers. Wishing I could buy like a Tesla...

Check with Mutton Power Equipment. They will ship all over the county and are a supporting vender of this site.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...wer-equipment/

8- didn't care for plastic parts in snowblower.

No comment
    Good luck whether you green or orange. Just remember orange is not perfect, my neighbor has a 3200 TLB and the stabilizers leak way down way to fast and the local dealer is being a pain about fixing it. Machine is less then a year old. He was also recently told that the hoe is not built by orange but is built by someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by felixm22; 08-30-2014 at 02:13 PM.
    farmgirl19, Levi and Jeff R. like this.
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:20 PM
    Thanks
    FWIW... I've had enough problems with JD to recommend going orange. However, #2 (RIO) shouldn't be a concern. I haven't yet jumped the switch but pull up the knob, insert clothespin, and it's done
    Last edited by cottrillj; 08-30-2014 at 03:24 PM.
    2012 1023E, 60d MMM, H120 Loader

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:33 PM
    Thanks
    I don't regret going green. One thing that surprised me was that once you added and upgraded everything to the orange tractor to make it as equivalent as possible to the green one - the price difference was almost nonexistent.

Orange may have a metal hood, but they have plastic side panels just like green. You can't remove the orange side panels though unless you first remove the brush guard.

Orange has a tredle - ugh! Green has twin pedals - oh so nice.

Green is way ahead on ease of attachment of... attachments. The most difficult thing to attach is the backhoe, it takes at most ten minutes - and that is taking your time. Less than 5 if you need to.

Speaking of backhoes, the orange has real sloppy loose controls, the green is much better.

Orange thinks that using their own engine is somehow better. There is no logic to support this.

Marketing. All marketing can be expected to be skewed these days. In Orange's case they go too far in my opinion. They show bar graphs comparing power that are not actually representative of the real differences. I posted a while back about it, I think I included a picture.
    Levi likes this.
    1025r TLB, 54" Bucket, R4 Tires (metal valve stems!) with Beet Juice, 60D Mower Deck - mechanical lift, 42" Titan Pallet Forks w/Bale spear, 54" ETA Box Blade, 72" ETA Landscape Rake, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks and Diff pedal extension, Piranha Tooth Bar and psrumor's Seat Springs

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:33 PM
    Thanks
    Okay, here's a screen grab of Kubota's torque comparison graph.

They are comparing the torque of the BX2360 against the 1023e. Take note that the graph shows that the Deere has 60% of the torque of Kubota. The reality is that the 1023e has 88%. That green bar that represents Deere should be much higher, even with the top of the dot in "41.4". It is intentionally deceptive.

But wait, there's more. If they compared it to the 1025r - which is actually more comparable to the 2360, the difference would be just a sliver. The 1025r has 40.7 ft-lb torque, 0.7 ft-lbs less. That's a difference of less than 2%. It wouldn't even show on that graph.

In my opinion, this is a blatant misrepresentation.

Here's a link to the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPNl5PEn6Mk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Deere torque.jpg
    Last edited by W9GFO; 08-30-2014 at 04:14 PM.
    dieselshadow, Levi and Winterkire like this.
    1025r TLB, 54" Bucket, R4 Tires (metal valve stems!) with Beet Juice, 60D Mower Deck - mechanical lift, 42" Titan Pallet Forks w/Bale spear, 54" ETA Box Blade, 72" ETA Landscape Rake, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks and Diff pedal extension, Piranha Tooth Bar and psrumor's Seat Springs

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:20 PM
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=W9GFO;149672]I don't regret going green. One thing that surprised me was that once you added and upgraded everything to the orange tractor to make it as equivalent as possible to the green one - the price difference was almost nonexistent.

I've been Green all my life so I'm not saying I regret my JD. Heck, when I was 16 years old my father wanted a Kubota and the JD salesman said he "wouldn't knock Kubota because they are good machines...." Good sales pitch??? I ended up swaying Dad to JD and got a hat!

However, I won't sway someone TO GO green nowadays either
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    2012 1023E, 60d MMM, H120 Loader

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    12-30-2018 @ 05:54 PM
    Thanks
    Hey swampthing, Took almost 2 months to decide on green or orange and finally decided on JD. Kubota makes a great compact, but after driving and operating both, Deere won out.
    If you are looking in MA, checkout Padula Bros. They are having a good sale on compact tractors - PADULABROTHERS.COM
    No affiliation, just saw the deal on their website.
    Steve

John Deere 1025r FiLB, with 53" bucket, 54" mower (sold), (sold) Imatch Quick Hitch, (sold)Frontier RB2060L and Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks (x2), HLA 1500 Snowpush.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 11:37 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    Should I be considering 2 series instead. Seems a bit big for our property.

Hard to say without any info on your property or other intended uses. I opted for the 2-series because of ground clearance concerns since I use my tractor in the woods quite a bit. IMO, if your primary concerns and mowing and snow-blowing, the 1-series is probably the right place to look.

btw, I looked hard at the Kubota line when I was deciding too. I just couldn't get the Kubota dealer to give me the time of day when I wanted to buy. Had the same problem with the Cub Cadet/Yanmar dealer.
    Last edited by JimR; 08-30-2014 at 09:30 PM.
    Levi likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast