Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: 1025R - Can you use 4X4 setting in 'High Gear?'

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-09-2019 @ 10:23 AM
    Thanks

Question 1025R - Can you use 4X4 setting in 'High Gear?'

I was blowing some snow today (JD 47 inch snowblower), and had my 1025R in 'Low Gear' and had my unit in 4X4 mode.

After doing my drive.... I put the tractor into 'High Gear' to drive up the road about 1/8 mile (snow covered road, just plowed after snowstorm) and went up to my neighbors to do his drive.

I got to my neighbors and his drive was already done, so I drove back home and saw a neighbor across the street from me struggling with his 2 stage walk behind blower.... so I started blowing his drive. I forgot to put my gearing selector back into 'LOW' gear and my 1025R was bogging down a bit...and then it got stuck in the snow.

I noticed when trying to rock it out backwards, that my front wheels weren't spinning - AT ALL. I checked my drive selector and it was firmly in 4X4 position.... so I moved it to 2WD and then back to 4WD and it didn't seem like my front wheels had any drive at all.

I then discovered I was in 'HIGH' gearing mode...so put it back into 'LOW' and then eventually got unstuck and finished blowing my neighbors drive.

I am not sure that my 4X4 front axle is working at all, frankly.....

MY QUESTIONS ARE:

• Does running the tractor in 'HIGH" mode automatically disengage the front 4X4 system?
    • If not... does moving at full speed in 'HIGH" mode with 4X4 engaged harmful?

My neighbor has the same unit and said he has run his in HIGH mode wity 4X4 engaged many times..... not for doing pto work per se, but he said he didn't think there was any harm in doing so.

Anybody have input, suggestions, or feedback regarding my questions highlighted in BOLD ?

Thanks.
    Last edited by JoeFriday1979; 02-11-2018 at 12:37 PM.
    Robnik likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:51 AM
    Thanks
    Hello. I run mine in High in 4x4 all the time while plowing on asphalt. I drive it up the street to my neighbors when I plow hers and I never take it out. I am plowing with the bucket not a snow blower but I don't see any harm in it. JD would put warning stickers on the tractor or have it in the manual if you couldn't do that. They wouldn't want to be replacing a bunch of axles or gears under warranty.

You said the tractor bogged down? Did you have the throttle up to where it is supposed to be when running the pot? Also wondering which pto selector switch you were in? Not sure it matters?

Last question, how heavy was the snow? I know from using a walk behind one that going to fast in wet heavy snow bogs them down big time and there comes a point where it just isn't worth the effort.

Good luck!
    etcallhome, Levi, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    1025r with FILB, 60MMM, BH
    Frontier BB48
    County line 5ft rake
    Ken's seat springs
    BH steps
    My design cab step
    WR Long Flat toothbar
    Titan JDQA with 6ft plow

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wentonbrown For This Useful Post:

JoeFriday1979 (02-11-2018)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-26-2019 @ 06:32 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeFriday1979 View Post
    MY QUESTIONS ARE:

• Does running the tractor in 'HIGH" mode automatically disengage the front 4X4 system?
    • If not... does moving at full speed in 'HIGH" mode with 4X4 engaged harmful?

No and No

What you do NOT want to do is use 4x4 when there is traction. It is for loose/slippery conditions
    Last edited by mn1025rfilb; 02-11-2018 at 01:21 PM.
    Levi, JoeFriday1979 and Robnik like this.
    2015 1025r FILB (H120 49" w/piranha bar & KBOGHs, 60" Auto-connect MMM)
    Artillian Frame, Forks, Grapple and Diverter
    BB2060 Frontier Box Blade
    PB1001 Frontier 1 Bottom Turning Plow
    54" JD Snow Blower
    647JD Tiller
    LP1160 land plane
    Tektite Backhoe cab

Just need a Wallenstein Chipper and... I'm sure I'll think of something more

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mn1025rfilb For This Useful Post:

JoeFriday1979 (02-11-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-30-2019 @ 03:45 PM
    Thanks
    Running it engaged in 4WD, high or low range, is fine. As suggested, you don't want to operate it in 4WD when on dry, hard surfaces- like concrete or asphalt.
    You noticed that your front tires were not spinning- did you notice if your rear tires were? If you were engaged in 4WD, yet the back tires were spinning but the fronts weren't, then there is a problem. 4WD is a 100% mechanical link between the front and rear axle.
    What I suspect was happening was that because you were in high range, neither the front or rear tires were spinning. There is an overload valve in the hydraulic system, so if you demand too much (in your case, pushing snow in high range with sufficient traction), the oil will bypass. In low range, there is sufficient gearing advantage, so that you will break traction before activating the bypass valve in the hydraulic system.

Or, it may not have been fully engaged in 4WD- but you had double checked that.
    Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ..."

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hodge For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike (02-11-2018), Herminator (02-11-2018), JoeFriday1979 (02-11-2018)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hodge View Post
    Running it engaged in 4WD, high or low range, is fine. As suggested, you don't want to operate it in 4WD when on dry, hard surfaces- like concrete or asphalt.
    You noticed that your front tires were not spinning- did you notice if your rear tires were? If you were engaged in 4WD, yet the back tires were spinning but the fronts weren't, then there is a problem. 4WD is a 100% mechanical link between the front and rear axle.
    What I suspect was happening was that because you were in high range, neither the front or rear tires were spinning. There is an overload valve in the hydraulic system, so if you demand too much (in your case, pushing snow in high range with sufficient traction), the oil will bypass. In low range, there is sufficient gearing advantage, so that you will break traction before activating the bypass valve in the hydraulic system.

Or, it may not have been fully engaged in 4WD- but you had double checked that.
    Does he have loaded tires? If so, the pressure could be to low, and the rims are spinning inside the tires.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 08:33 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mn1025rfilb View Post
    No and No

What you do NOT want to do is use 4x4 when there is traction. It is for loose/hslippery conditions
    The 1 series is the same (I think) as the 2 series manual in that it states to use MFWD when doing loader work as well, with no qualifications on surface.
    JoeFriday1979 likes this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

12. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-09-2019 @ 10:23 AM
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your quick responses.

Phew.... I feel better knowing it was nothing 'I did.'

I do not have loaded tires, but I do use a 'ballast box' with about 700# of sandbags inside as instructed to counter the front end loader/snowblower attachments....as a protective measure against pre-maturely wearing out the front drive gears per the manual.

I wonder if it was indeed the 'oil bypass' thing that the poster above stated? I wonder how I can test the front drive wheels operation without screwing up the front of my unit pushing against something?

I never run 4X4 engaged on dry surfaces..... I have owned a few 4X4 pickups and own a new Jeep Wrangler now.... so that precaution is always in my mind.

Everywhere is slippery right now, or I would be able to do a brief 'dry pavement' test while turning to see if I feel the 'choppy/stepping' that front wheel drive engagement would produce. I don't think a second or two would hurt it. Other than that, I am unsure how to test operation without going to extensive trouble.

I still have 3 or 4 years left on my warranty, so I guess I could always have the dealer pick it up and look into it..... just don't want to do that unnecessarily.

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:41 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,632 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeFriday1979 View Post
    I still have 3 or 4 years left on my warranty, so I guess I could always have the dealer pick it up and look into it..... just don't want to do that unnecessarily.
    If the machine is under warranty STOP RIGHT THERE. If you've checked the fluids and ensured that your moving the correct levers then there is likely something wrong with the tractor. Have it serviced under warranty before any further damage occurs.
    PJR832 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    05-06-2018 @ 11:21 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    Does he have loaded tires? If so, the pressure could be to low, and the rims are spinning inside the tires.
    I'm not sure I have ever seen that happen. Just curious have you?
    PJR832 likes this.

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:46 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,057 Times in 2,526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseIH574 View Post
    I'm not sure I have ever seen that happen. Just curious have you?

Read on my freind:

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...ims-tires.html

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...lipping-2.html
    DRobinson, PJR832 and Yank like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast