• 3 Post By JimR
  • 2 Post By sstlaure

Thread: Box Blade ?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-20-2015 @ 02:53 PM
    Thanks

Box Blade ?

What rpms should I be using when running the box blade or guess anything on rear pto? Should I also have it 4WD?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 08:52 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by madarcher427 View Post
    What rpms should I be using when running the box blade or guess anything on rear pto? Should I also have it 4WD?
    If you have the rippers down and are moving ground your going to want all of the HP your tractor has. 2200-full rpms and all four tires pulling.
    JD 2012 3320 end loader, 5' rear cutter, box blade, tiller,artillian forks, Fit rite hydraulic top link, 485 back hoe
    JD 1972 820 diesel Tractor
    JD 2013 Gator 825i.
    JD 2008 GX255 lawn tractor
    JD 1978 400

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:00 PM
    Thanks
    You have 3 different things going on here so I'l break my response out that way.

For PTO driven attachments: These are designed to operate assuming that the PTO is running at a specific speed. Typically, an attachment running off of your rear PTO is designed to operate with that PTO shaft running at 540RPM. Your owner's manual should tell you what engine RPM will give you 540RPM at the rear PTO. Depending on your tractor, you may have a marker on your dash for that as well. I'd suggest staying with that until/unless you are very familiar with your attachment and know exactly what you can do with it. The same sort of thing applies to your mid-PTO if you have one. It'll be a different speed but the same principle applies.

For 3-point attachments: Again, this is largely going to depend on what you're doing and how comfortable you are with your setup. But "normally" (whatever that is!) you can run at a fairly high RPM to give you pulling power. You'll def want that if you are tearing up compacted earth (i.e. your box blade!) but you may want to slow things down if you are doing something like just leveling out a pile of loose dirt or compost.

4WD: Use it when you need it. Start out in 2WD and if you find your rear wheels are spinning or slipping, engage 4WD.
    56FordGuy, Green Man and Levi like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    I'm usually 2400-max depending on how much material I'm putting in the box. You run out of traction before you run out of power. I always run 4wd low when using it. (4' boxblade)
    Levi and Traction like this.
    -Scott-

2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

You don't have to outrun the bear......just the other campers

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    04-20-2015 @ 02:53 PM
    Thanks
    My fault ,I have 1025r. Thank you!

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements