Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Headlight switch on new 1025R

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-14-2016 @ 11:37 AM
    Thanks

Headlight switch on new 1025R

I have a new 1025R, approx. 12 hours. Tonight while I was mowing the headlights and spotlights were flickering. As I touched the switch they went out briefly until I wiggled the switch again. Anybody else have this issue. Also is there a aftermarket switch that will allow all the same features with one more position that leaves the spotlights off and just the headlights on?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 12:26 AM
    Thanks

Cleaning rotary switches

I've seen this problem on my new 1025R.

When rotary switches have not been used for while, they can accumulate oxides on the conductive surfaces. If the switch is sealed ($$$), this won't be a problem. But these probably are not. There is lots of evidence in my case that my 1025 spent some time stored outside in the dealer's lot. So the switch contacts had the time and the environment to oxidize.

Fortunately, most "wiping" switches are self cleaning. Work the switch all the way on and all the way off a dozen times. This worked for me. If this doesn't fix it, its time for a new switch.

Keane

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-02-2019 @ 12:02 AM
    Thanks
    I also had that switch problem right after I picked up my 1025r last month.
    .8 hours on it. I worked the switch back and forth a few times over the next couple days and it went away.
    Works great now.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,940 Times in 2,904 Posts
    screamineagle, I think this is a common issue. I've seen multiple post here on it. I think dealers replaced the switches.
    http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...y-arrived.html
    Last edited by Gizmo2; 09-04-2014 at 08:49 AM.
    psrumors likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 07:25 PM
    Thanks
    I noticed the problem when my tractor was delivered so I got a replacement switch (AM124875) from the dealer. However, the replacement switch was even worse. The dealer asked that I wait a bit while they figure out if John Deere was going to recall the switch and/or come up with a replacement solution.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks
    For whatever reason they must not have the trouble worked out. My 1026R had no issues till I added the rear work light then it started doing the same thing as described. JD replaced it and my shop foreman said if they install the light they replace the switch as part of the addition. That was a couple years ago. One would thing they'd figured out the switch issue by now.. Must only build switches on Fridays..

Levi likes this.
    Early 2012 1026R with H120 and 60" auto connect MMM

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 01:05 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,064 Posts
    I know I'm probably going to bite myself in the a$$ but in the year and a half I've had my 1026 I've never had a switch problem. And no I don't have a pic of the switch. I bought mine in April of '13. Don't know how long the dealer had it but a couple days later they said they had to come get it as there was some re-calls they had to do to it. I never did ask what they did but took for granted that it was the hood brace and the piece that went on the transmission spout.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    10-10-2018 @ 05:27 PM
    Thanks
    Mine has been like that since day one. Rotate back and forth a few times and then it's fine. April 2012 1026R.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:11 PM
    Thanks
    Mine was same, dealer gave me new one, same thing. JD went a little cheap on some of the auxiliary items on these tractors. Great engine, frame, and tranny - but cut corners on other things to save a couple bucks. Stupid thing is for a total of a couple hundred probably could have made everything first quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    10-10-2018 @ 05:27 PM
    Thanks
    I completely agree with Tom on this one. There are some components on these tractors that are just plain cheap/junk. The light switch is one of them. The armrest material, coolant jug/cap are others that I know of (so far) from first hand experience.

I am sure they had to come within X dollars of a comparable Kubota BX so they did what they had to do.

I still wouldn't trade it for a BX or any other. All of them have their own little quirks.
    Gizmo2 likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast