Dumb question of the week. My 1025r has 2 engine oil fill caps?
Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By John Deere 1025R TLB
  • 4 Post By SulleyBear
  • 2 Post By TJR345

Thread: Dumb question of the week. My 1025r has 2 engine oil fill caps?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 01:27 PM
    Thanks

Dumb question of the week. My 1025r has 2 engine oil fill caps?

I did a quick skim thru the manual and didn't see anything right off. The manual shows the engine oil fill cap to the right of the dip stick. There is also a yellow oil fill cap on top of the valve cover like on a car, but I don't see that one in the book. Is the top one so you don't have to pull the side cover off? Are you supposed to even use the top one for anything? Am I having a "duh" moment here?
    2018 1025r. 260B backhoe, 120r loader, Titan 36" forks, Frontier RT1142 tiller
    1995 Lowes branded riding mower.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 12:40 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmylh View Post
    I did a quick skim thru the manual and didn't see anything right off. The manual shows the engine oil fill cap to the right of the dip stick. There is also a yellow oil fill cap on top of the valve cover like on a car, but I don't see that one in the book. Is the top one so you don't have to pull the side cover off? Are you supposed to even use the top one for anything? Am I having a "duh" moment here?
    Either is fine to use. This engine is not just used by deere. As you said, just like a car. Will drain back just like the oil in the valve train will do during operation.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    pcabe5, jimmylh and PJR832 like this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:22 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,430 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmylh View Post
    By the way, the only "Dumb" Question is the one not asked...............

I like to fill through the top oil cap as I want the valve train components and the upper engine to be coated in new oil when I fire it up after an oil change, instead of having to wait for the oil pump to bring oil to the upper components. It may be just a second or two, but anytime you can oil parts instead of them operating briefly without new oil, it's a good thing.

If the engine is idling at 1,515 RPM's, that means in one second, the engine has made 25.25 complete revolutions and that is why I fill the upper oil fill spot..........It's also why I use additional metal lubricants in my oil such as Prolong, which treat the engine components.

Do you need to run extra lubricants? NO, but it certainly won't hurt......

Personal Preference........That's why I do it...............

ProlongĀ®: a leader in Automotive and Industrial oil and fuel additives and why you need it

I run the same high quality oil and treatment in my other Yanmar which I have had since new and it has over 2,800 hours on it and it runs fine and has not required any repairs.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:18 PM
    Thanks
    I use the top,it's easier with a funnel and it coats the valves like SulleyBear said.
    jimmylh and PJR832 like this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer