Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Idle or shutdown

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 07:55 AM
    Thanks

Idle or shutdown

Hello everyone, recently picked up a 1025. Couldnít find or missed what I was looking for in owners manual. I start my 1025 and load it onto trailer in the morning and set at idle, keep tractor idling between sites for snow clearing and leave idling on trailer when not in use. I know Iím adding hours to my machine, burning fuel, noise pollution etc. but is that more harm than shutting down. Temperature is around -20C or 0F. If itís down for an hour plus will I have trouble starting again?

Thanks
    John Deere 1025R, Frontier RB2060 Rear blade, JD 647 Tiller, JD Quick hitch 60HD" Broom, 54" Blade with clip on extensions, 54" Blower, BX42 Wood chipper, Homemade pallet forks, 60" Snow pusher, Land plane. Lots of other cool things.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:03 PM
    Thanks
    I would have no problem leaving a machine idling as you are doing in those low temperatures.
    I probably even would bump it up a notch over lowest idle setting.
    flyweight, wentonbrown and PJR832 like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:51 AM
    Thanks
    If you are keeping the tractor idling while on trailer and moving the trailer around, that means that you have it in neutral, correct? I would think you would want to shut off the tractor so you can leave it in gear. That way it will be less likely to move around on the trailer, even when tied down.
    2016 1025R TLB (Marshawn) with Piranha tooth bar
    HLA 42" Forks
    Frontier LR2060L Landscape rake
    2019 X370 mowing machine with snowblower attachment
    County Line 3 point log splitter (Mr. Splitty)
    Cyclone Rake super sucker
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer
    Stihl BR430 backpack blower
    1998 Yamaha 4-stroke golf car (Tedy Bruschi)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WifeSaidOK View Post
    If you are keeping the tractor idling while on trailer and moving the trailer around, that means that you have it in neutral, correct? I would think you would want to shut off the tractor so you can leave it in gear. That way it will be less likely to move around on the trailer, even when tied down.
    Unlike a gear-driven transmission, a HST tractor will drift slowly even while "in gear". Only solution is wheel chocks, parking brake and chains.
    Tomfive, PJR832, kylew and 1 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:02 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dombougie View Post
    Hello everyone, recently picked up a 1025. Couldnít find or missed what I was looking for in owners manual. I start my 1025 and load it onto trailer in the morning and set at idle, keep tractor idling between sites for snow clearing and leave idling on trailer when not in use. I know Iím adding hours to my machine, burning fuel, noise pollution etc. but is that more harm than shutting down. Temperature is around -20C or 0F. If itís down for an hour plus will I have trouble starting again?

Thanks
    I personally would not leave my tractor run while hauling it down the highway. Maybe just me, but I wouldn't do that!
    Concerning whether you will have trouble re-starting it, nope.
    As long as you allow the glow plugs to cycle, the engine will start.
    Tomfive, Levi, Robnik and 2 others like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    01-23-2019 @ 02:58 PM
    Thanks
    I transport my 1026r around on a trailer to clear my grandparents and parents out. I set the parking breaking and put it in neutral and chain it down and have no problems with start up later on above 15 degrees in the sun. the tractor doesn't move at all with the break and chains . If its really cold out ( around 0 degrees) and the sun isn't up yet ill leave the tractor running but i honestly don't think its really necessary. Its a tougher start up when its that cold out and your drives 50mph ( think wind chill factor) but its for a short amount of time. I also clear my driveway first, so its warm when i transport it. I'd say you're fine to leave it running when its around zero to make it easier on your battery and to keep everything flowing nicely for when you unload.

I don't know the rules though for leaving equipment running while travailing. There is probably some rule but during snow storms or right after one , the cops around here are more upset lately about guys driving around with plows and their wings on and being about 12 feet wide driving down the road....
    BigJim55, Robnik and PJR832 like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neski View Post
    Its a tougher start up when its that cold out and your drives 50mph ( think wind chill factor) but its for a short amount of time.
    Wind chill has no effect on metal and plastic... it only effects human and animal parts. The metal and plastic parts will however cool off faster in the 50MPH wind. :-)
    Last edited by jgayman; 02-22-2018 at 08:10 AM.
    Zebrafive, rydplrs, W9GFO and 7 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Have never thought about it but now that I have...I'd shut it off.
    Robnik and PJR832 like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1Ĺ" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 07:55 AM
    Thanks
    Always left in neutral with brake and tied down. Itís about 15 minuites into the city from my place, I could drive the tractor to and from the dozen sites I have once I get there, so trailering isnít bad once Iím in the city.
    Robnik, PJR832 and Bobark3 like this.
    John Deere 1025R, Frontier RB2060 Rear blade, JD 647 Tiller, JD Quick hitch 60HD" Broom, 54" Blade with clip on extensions, 54" Blower, BX42 Wood chipper, Homemade pallet forks, 60" Snow pusher, Land plane. Lots of other cool things.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Thanks
    At zero degrees, I would leave it running with the parking BRAKE on and and tranny in neutral. Of course, tied down. My previous 1025R did not like to start well in cold weather and needed help such as a block heater which you would not have available to you once you load up. Diesels do not like cold weather. I would also put cardboard or something similar similar in front of the radiator to help keep it warm. Remember to load it backwards as specified in the manual. In your case, that is even more important. Also note that the tranny needs to be kept warm and it takes longer for it to warm up than it does the engine. You may be adding a few hours and burning a little more fuel, but you are saving a lot of wear and tear on your equipment in the long run.

Now if you had a TierIV unit where you were faced with regens, I would change my stance on this as excessive idling causes more regens. The 1025R is less than 25HP, therefore does not have to meet the same specs as those above 25HP.

Dave
    Robnik, Ortimber, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast