1025R blowing 3'+ snow drifts (video & pics)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: 1025R blowing 3'+ snow drifts (video & pics)

  1. Top | #1
    mike01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,267
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 161 Times in 104 Posts

    1025R blowing 3'+ snow drifts (video & pics)

    Hi all,
    I've been waiting for another mega-storm like last year's ever since I got the 54" front snowblower, and today I got one! We were on generator power for 8 hours and my driveway (1000') was obliterated by 3-4' snow drifts. In some places, the 48" marker poles were buried. The part of the video where one of them is sticking out like 6"...there are three more next to it that you can't see under the snow.

    I apologize for the audio, my phone apparently doesn't like the cold.

    I'm super happy with this setup for snow.

    https://youtu.be/WGCWOAGkvEM

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	066.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	560585

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	072.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	560593

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	075.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	560601
    2019 X758, 54" Autoconnect deck
    2018 2032R, 220R Loader, dual rear SCV, hydraulic top link, SB1164 Snow Blower, RC2072 rotary cutter, BB5048L box blade, 42" Titan forks, BB2060L back blade

    Owned in the past:
    X570, X758 (2015), 1025R, X590

  2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mike01 For This Useful Post:

    ColonyPark (03-03-2018), Drifterbike (03-03-2018), etcallhome (03-03-2018), Herminator (03-02-2018), KenLit (03-11-2018), PJR832 (03-03-2018)

  3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  4. Top | #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Last Online
    01-06-2019 @ 07:14 AM
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    554
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 88 Times in 71 Posts
    You lucky dog! Looks like a blast. I'm expecting to get hit with another couple decent accumulations, but not counting on anything too major at this point.

  5. Top | #3

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:29 PM
    Location
    Freedom, WI
    Posts
    72
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    I am soooo jealous....I've been waiting for a snow like that for 2 years since I got my tractor and 54" blower. The most we've had is maybe 6".

  6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  7. Top | #4
    mike01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,267
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 161 Times in 104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanB View Post
    I am soooo jealous....I've been waiting for a snow like that for 2 years since I got my tractor and 54" blower. The most we've had is maybe 6".
    That's what I was afraid was going to happen to me! You're cursed!
    2019 X758, 54" Autoconnect deck
    2018 2032R, 220R Loader, dual rear SCV, hydraulic top link, SB1164 Snow Blower, RC2072 rotary cutter, BB5048L box blade, 42" Titan forks, BB2060L back blade

    Owned in the past:
    X570, X758 (2015), 1025R, X590

  8. Top | #5
    BigJim55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:30 PM
    Location
    Schellsburg, PA
    Posts
    11,235
    Thanks
    3,035
    Thanked 1,403 Times in 1,102 Posts
    -thanks for making the video-love them action shots
    etcallhome, ColonyPark and jdmich like this.
    jim

    2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

    2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

  9. Top | #6
    blue87fj60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:14 AM
    Location
    south jersey
    Posts
    2,696
    Thanks
    150
    Thanked 356 Times in 278 Posts
    Yeah you guys got hammered!
    My cousin is up in Fishbait country and she said they had been expecting 40" by the time it was done.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

  10. Top | #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Location
    syracuse ny
    Posts
    329
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 33 Times in 30 Posts
    your snow looks drier than what we got, I had like two inches of slush on the bottom, one storms enough, lets get on to spring
    DRobinson, BigJim55 and Ray_PA like this.
    2025r fel snowblower

  11. Top | #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Location
    Lehigh Valley PA
    Posts
    3,228
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 201 Times in 195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike01 View Post
    Hi all,
    I've been waiting for another mega-storm like last year's ever since I got the 54" front snowblower, and today I got one! We were on generator power for 8 hours and my driveway (1000') was obliterated by 3-4' snow drifts. In some places, the 48" marker poles were buried. The part of the video where one of them is sticking out like 6"...there are three more next to it that you can't see under the snow.

    I apologize for the audio, my phone apparently doesn't like the cold.

    I'm super happy with this setup for snow.

    https://youtu.be/WGCWOAGkvEM

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	066.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	560585

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	072.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	560593

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	075.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	560601
    You are shoving the snow in way to fast. Give the blower time to eat. Especially when you get that much. Even though the snow was deeper than the blower you had way to much falling over the top. When this happens it is easy to get the tractor stuck. It's also easy to bend or snap something.
    Also when dealing with the deep stuff. Avoid the gauntlet. Don't go more than a tractor's length before backing up and taking a wider cut. On the second cut you can also use just 1/2 of the blower width to make it easier on the equipment.

    Otherwise it looks like fun. Well once you get over the freezing your butt off part. Unfortunately we didn't get much snow with this storm.
    etcallhome, BigJim55 and mark02tj like this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

  12. Top | #9
    Corndog Hater ColonyPark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:58 AM
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    10,716
    Thanks
    3,593
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 977 Posts
    Thanks for the video. I had some similar drifts yesterday. Creeping along letting the blower eat away at it, I still had snow coming up over the top. It was heavy, wet snow for sure.
    Jamie

    2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

  13. Top | #10
    mike01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,267
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 161 Times in 104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    You are shoving the snow in way to fast. Give the blower time to eat. Especially when you get that much. Even though the snow was deeper than the blower you had way to much falling over the top. When this happens it is easy to get the tractor stuck. It's also easy to bend or snap something.
    Also when dealing with the deep stuff. Avoid the gauntlet. Don't go more than a tractor's length before backing up and taking a wider cut. On the second cut you can also use just 1/2 of the blower width to make it easier on the equipment.

    Otherwise it looks like fun. Well once you get over the freezing your butt off part. Unfortunately we didn't get much snow with this storm.
    Thanks for the advice!

    I tried a variety of approaches. I tried going really, really slow, no difference, so I went faster. I tried going in a variety of distances before doing the second plow. I never felt like the tractor could get stuck.

    The way I ended up doing this was fairly fast and effective and didn't strain the tractor. I pushed through about a tractor length, sometimes less, depending on what I felt underneath. Once I felt the tractor "rise up" on snow, I stopped (so back wheels were always grounded) Then I backed up, lowered the blower and blew out the stuff that fell over the top the first time (and down from the sides). I had to be careful not to lower it too much because the ground underneath wasn't frozen and I would tear it up and spit rocks if I floated the blower. On the way back I used 1/2 the blower width and I didn't have to back up. That first cut was the hardest.

    As for giving it time to eat, it depends on the snow. In some few places, letting it eat actually fed the snow into the blower regardless of how tall it was. In most places, it didn't. Every snow is different.
    Last edited by mike01; 03-03-2018 at 07:40 AM.
    2019 X758, 54" Autoconnect deck
    2018 2032R, 220R Loader, dual rear SCV, hydraulic top link, SB1164 Snow Blower, RC2072 rotary cutter, BB5048L box blade, 42" Titan forks, BB2060L back blade

    Owned in the past:
    X570, X758 (2015), 1025R, X590

  14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •