Under Powered or Transmission? (VIDEO)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Under Powered or Transmission? (VIDEO)

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-17-2019 @ 08:01 AM
    Thanks

Under Powered or Transmission? (VIDEO)

I was pulling some small trees out the other day and decided to try and see if I could pull out this larger stump that I had cut really close to the ground about 6 months ago, I didn't think the tractor would do it but I figured it would just spin the tires. I didn't think the trans would "stall", I know the angle was putting some serious down pressure on the back tires but I was just surprised. Is this typical of a Hydrostatic Transmission? Anyway I included a successful attempt in the video as well.

Drifterbike and bmichael like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Big
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:03 AM
    Thanks
    First off you got some Ba**s pulling on something that could come loose all at once...not something I want to try. That thing could have been a head grubber. Back to the question. I could easily see some smaller trees giving a 1025 a hard time. Hell, I had a Gehl skidsteer that couldn't push over a 6" oak but could push a 16" pine over no problem. Trans would stall out and finally stall the motor on the 6" oak. Some trees have more roots and deeper tap root. Just depends on the type of tree your working with.
    Last edited by Big; 03-05-2018 at 10:06 PM.
    PJR832 and Yank like this.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:23 AM
    Thanks
    Big is right. Don’t ever forget pulling things like this is a dangerous activity, even when done right. We all do it, just be careful. Now, to your question. Roots are some powerful things. I have many, and I mean many, that will bring my 2038R to a halt. Hell, I rented a 12000 pound excavator and had some bring it to a stop. Roots are tough. Evolution has designed them to grow deep and hang on to the ground. Your tractor is fine, this is very normal. In this case, you have to dig some and cut a few of the root leads until you weaken it enough to come out. Keep on tractoring.

One more thing, I like to pull from the 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, and 9:00 position on these stubborn roots. Sometimes pulling from different sides, it will break enough of the roots underground to come out.
    Last edited by Yank; 03-06-2018 at 05:28 AM.
    PJR832 likes this.
    Yancey

2017 2038R 220R loader
    Frontier 72” rear blade
    Frontier 60” box blade
    Frontier 65” tiller
    Frontier subsoiler
    Frontier 60” landplane
    Frontier 42” pallet forks
    Frontier 72” RC 2072
    HH toothbar KBOH’s bucket hooks
    2019 X758 60HC deck
    Model 80 trailer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 05:57 AM
    Thanks
    Stumps are tough for all tractors, small or large, which is another reason I have a Backhoe. It also depends on the tree type and the root structure. First, your chain needs to be shorter for several reasons. One safety. Should it break it doesn't take your head off or other limbs. Second, it give you leverage. In the one you had a hard time pulling out, I would have backed as close to the stump as possible, lowered your attachment on your 3pt hitch. The attach your chain to your hook. Then while pulling, raise the 3pt hitch at the same time your moving forward. This does a couple of things, your using the weight of the tractor to pull vertical on the stump, at the same time your pulling horizontal on the stump with the power of the tractor and you can backup and go forward at the same time. Not too many stumps can take that abuse. This safer for you and the tractor and you get more traction as you apply pressure to the stump.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Thanks
    I'm confused, how could this come lose all at once? Chain with clamps? Wouldn't it slide before snapping? and I dont see a problem with elasticity. I'm missing something in reference to the danger. Educate me.
    1025r FILB, 47" Snowblower, Front Blade, Quick Hitch

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:55 AM
    Thanks
    Pulling from the 3pt is never a good idea. It is higher than the axle and can rotate the front up. Always pull from the draw bar. Also, the 3pt is kind of a weak place when it comes to snatching immovable objects.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    ColonyPark, coaltrain and PJR832 like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Thanks
    From the video it looks like you were in high gear. In high, the transmission will in fact "stall" under such circumstances.
    2019 X758, 54" Autoconnect deck
    2018 2032R, 220R Loader, dual rear SCV, hydraulic top link, SB1164 Snow Blower, RC2072 rotary cutter, BB5048L box blade, 42" Titan forks, BB2060L back blade

Owned in the past:
    X570, X758 (2015), 1025R, X590

10. Top | #8
    Big
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCE View Post
    I'm confused, how could this come lose all at once? Chain with clamps? Wouldn't it slide before snapping? and I dont see a problem with elasticity. I'm missing something in reference to the danger. Educate me.
    This guy didn't see a problem with chain elasticity/stored energy either...payed the ultimate price too. https://youtu.be/ETFFeUoq5Vw
    BillieS and PJR832 like this.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Honda Pioneer 700

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    This guy didn't see a problem with chain elasticity/stored energy either...payed the ultimate price too. https://youtu.be/ETFFeUoq5Vw
    welp, there goes all of my chains... anyone need some good unused chains!?+
    PJR832 likes this.
    1025r FILB, 47" Snowblower, Front Blade, Quick Hitch

12. Top | #10
    Big
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCE View Post
    welp, there goes all of my chains... anyone need some good unused chains!?+
    Hahaha! Don't get rid of em yet. When you pull with anything, just be careful, lay something heavy over the chain/rope to keep it low in the event of breaking. I just don't like pulling on anything with that amount of force. Dig it out with the bucket.
    PJR832 and kylew like this.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Honda Pioneer 700

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast