• 3 Post By jgayman
  • 1 Post By 9MMMAC

Thread: Which hitch to hitch?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 07:27 AM
    Thanks

Which hitch to hitch?

I have the iMatch with the JD 2 inch receiver and am also thinking about replacing the lower hitch plate with the Heavy Hitch unit. My question is, what are the pro/cons of using either hitch? Will some activities damage the 3pt, which in that case should I use the lower unit? And the other way around as well.
    Thanks!

2018 - 1025R
    120R, 60D, 54SB, iMatch, Ballast Box
    PJR832 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:39 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,556 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Yeah, you shouldn't do any heavy pulling on the 3 point, I have the HH plate with 2" receiver and use that any time I'm pulling. I have a couple of different hitches for different situations and it works well.
    pcabe5, ColonyPark and Tractor Tim like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    Yeah, you shouldn't do any heavy pulling on the 3 point.
    PJR832. You’ll pay for that comment but I get what you mean, sort of.

It depends what you are pulling. If you are skidding logs the 3 point hitch works nice because you can pick up the front of them a little but you need plenty of front ballast. The 3 point is really designed to pull implements not as a hitch. It is handy to back under a trailer and pick it up to move with the 3 point but really not safe to travel at speed or loaded. It is not safe for the same reasons in these 2 examples. Pulling heavy things with a chain from the 3 point is dangerous even if you keep it low because it has no down pressure. As soon as the tractor digs it will rotate up and over quickly. If you have a trailer on it and go to load it the trailer can get back heavy and the 3 point again can go up very quickly. The same happens with a balanced load but on uneven terrain. I have yet to find anything that I did not have more pulling power from the drawbar than off of the 3 point over the years. A spinning digging tractor pulls more than one that doesn’t spin but runs out of front ballast.

Now I can pay.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Herminator For This Useful Post:

Rodehard (03-07-2018)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:39 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,556 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Herminator View Post
    PJR832. You’ll pay for that comment but I get what you mean, sort of.

It depends what you are pulling. If you are skidding logs the 3 point hitch works nice because you can pick up the front of them a little but you need plenty of front ballast. The 3 point is really designed to pull implements not as a hitch. It is handy to back under a trailer and pick it up to move with the 3 point but really not safe to travel at speed or loaded. It is not safe for the same reasons in these 2 examples. Pulling heavy things with a chain from the 3 point is dangerous even if you keep it low because it has no down pressure. As soon as the tractor digs it will rotate up and over quickly. If you have a trailer on it and go to load it the trailer can get back heavy and the 3 point again can go up very quickly. The same happens with a balanced load but on uneven terrain. I have yet to find anything that I did not have more pulling power from the drawbar than off of the 3 point over the years. A spinning digging tractor pulls more than one that doesn’t spin but runs out of front ballast.

Now I can pay.
    I know, I thought about that after the fact after all, many implements are very heavy, but that's not what I meant.
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:12 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    I'm going to still maintain that you aren't going to break the 3PH by PULLING things. That's what it was designed to do. Each 3PH is designed to withstand beyond the maximum pulling force of the tractor to which it is attached... whether a 24HP 1025R or 200HP 6195R.
    Kennyd, Ray_PA and Herminator like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-23-2019 @ 02:42 PM
    Thanks
    I have the iMatch and the HH 3 pt. w/ receiver. I got it more for the hook than anything else I think. Adding back weight easily is nice, too.

Yes, you do need to add weights to the front to drag stuff around. (HH For the win again!) 4WD will help. Always add weight if there's ever any doubt- front or back.

I have a garden tractor type drop spreader with a sleeve hitch; it pins into the std. JD plate just fine.

I thought about the HH receiver, but it seems to me the tongue would be way, way too low. If I want to pull my trailer or move it around the yard, I can do it on the 3PT, but most of the time I push it around on the front end with the Titan.
    Herminator likes this.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 05:25 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMMAC View Post

I thought about the HH receiver, but it seems to me the tongue would be way, way too low.
    The tongue is much too low to be of any real use as a hitch. Plus, the 3pt arms must be removed to use it at all.

But, I installed the hitch and use it as a rear tie-down point when I trailer the tractor. It is ideal for this use. It can be used as a tie down point with any implement installed.

Also, I use the receiver as a mount point for a rear winch when needed. This past big snowstorm I foolishly pushed the envelope and got stuck fast in a ditch. I inserted the winch, which is mounted on a steel plate with 2" square pipe, and pulled myself free! To me, this use was worth the cost.
    1025r
    H120 Loader w/Ken's hooks, Pirhana Bar, Ratchet Rake, Bucket Tamer Shoes, front quick hitch
    260 Backhoe w/Ken's hook, BXpanded Thumb, Bro-Tec Ripper Tooth
    Artillian Diverter kit. Grapple w/Fangs, loader arm mounted 54 snow blade w/ wings, 24" forks
    54" Rock Bucket
    Ballast box
    I-Match
    Box Blade
    Back Blade
    3pt CarryAll
    Boom Pole
    Artillian Front Hoe
    RimGuard in all 4
    2" Wheel Spacers
    Heavy Hitch
    Block Heater