Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Removing tight oil filter 1026R

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-12-2015 @ 06:15 AM
    Thanks

Removing tight oil filter 1026R

Seems like this has been a problem for lots of people. Guess the factory mechanics are trained to worry more about liability than customer satisfaction - what a concept.

I'm doing a late first oil change. Only 75 hr in 3 years, but don't want to wait for 100 even though the oil is almost as clear as new. (On my previous tractor, the oil would be black a few hours after a change, even after 300 hours - loose rings?) I have some old Rotella T, which should help complete the break-in.

Now - how to remove the old filter? I have the kind of filter wrench that has a strip of spring steel and a self-locking handle about 8" long. Took the side panel off for access, and it's just possible to reach in with the loader bucket on the floor. There are two angles around the filter were I can get about a 2" swing on the wrench. But though pretty strong, I can't budge the filter.

Would it be easier with the engine hot? My previous experience is that heat swells o-rings, making removal harder - so I would loosen the filter slightly before warming the tractor for an oil change.

Any other tricks? Stick a small crowbar through the filter and twist on that? There doesn't seem to be room for a pipe wrench, and I have no other obvious tool choices here. Is there some kind of filter wrench that drops in on top and takes a 1/2" breaker bar? Will I have to pay for a dealer service this time?

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by kimqi; 09-27-2014 at 02:18 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-10-2018 @ 11:32 AM
    Thanks
    There are many different types of wrenches. I would start with a cup type that takes a ratchet. Go buy a new filter from Deere and see if the have the proper cup. If not I would take the new filter to the auto parts store. They should have the right one.

After that I would use a band type, then a strap type, then I would drive a screwdriver through it as a final attempt. Always as a last resort. Finally I have used a chisel and hammer to turn what was left off on a really stuck one....once. I hope I never have one that tight again.
    Last edited by MFreund1; 09-27-2014 at 02:43 PM.
    Matt

NRA Life Member

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MFreund1 For This Useful Post:

kimqi(09-27-2014)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:21 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,209 Posts
    You need the type that looks like this. They come in a few sizes, each one handles a range of filter diameters.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	filter.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	33203
    etcallhome and kimqi like this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

kimqi(09-27-2014)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    01-12-2015 @ 06:15 AM
    Thanks
    Good answers all around - thanks! When I used to fix cars, I was generally able to torque off filters by hand. Not so here!

Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    You need the type that looks like this. They come in a few sizes, each one handles a range of filter diameters.
    That's what I need, all right. I'll pick one up next time I buy from Northern Tool or Amazon.

To get the job done this weekend (I hope), I hit the nearest auto supply. They didn't have that style, but did have Toyota cup types that made a nice fit on the new filter's flats. I got one of those, and also a webbing-band one with a long 1/2" drive post. Good thing, too - turns out the original is smooth! Struggled with the webbing one, eventually using a breaker bar pointing one way and a two-foot crescent the other for balance. Destroyed the webbing, but fortunately the (deeply dented) filter popped loose just as the fabric tore. I'll finish the job tomorrow, if no other surprises pop up.

Thanks again for good suggestions. I know a lot more about filter wrenches now!
    GWT3046r likes this.

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-30-2018 @ 08:15 PM
    Thanks
    I used a cup type that I turned with a 1/2 inch ratchet...worked like a charm. Very tight fit. Available at Wallyworld for about $8.

http://mobile.walmart.com/#ip/KD-Too...81?type=search

Just one caution...a few different sizes. Ensure you get the right size.
    JD 1025R - 2013
    - H120 FEL, 260 Backhoe, 54D MMM with AutoConnect/Hydraulic Lift, Standard JD Ballast Box...450lbs sand+box=579lbs, psrumors's custom seat springs
    - DBS fixed!

Wheel Horse 520xi - 2001
    - 44" Deck, 48" Dozer/Plow Blade, Wheel Weights, VacBagger System

Wheel Horse 14HP "No Name" - 1973
    - Finished "frame off" restoration 2013 (3 yr project)
    - 42" Deck, 48" Plow Blade (sold), 36" RotoTiller (sold)

I'm so confused, "GREEN" versus "RED"

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    03-06-2019 @ 01:58 PM
    Thanks
    I tried to use cup type at first but my OEM filter did not have the knurls for the cup to lock into, it was perfectly round on the end. Ended up having to use oil filter pliers. My replacement filter had the knurls so next time I'll be using the cup socket.
    2014 1025R, 60" MMM, 54" Plow blade, BB2048L Box Blade, 17P utility cart

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    I was very pleased that the cup/3/8 drive filter wrench for my GX335 fit the 1026r perfectly. I was even more pleased when the filter came right off with minimal torque (Unlike the transmission filter!).

I think that some "filter assemblers" sort of forget the film of oil on the gasket right around lunchtime on Fridays or Mondays. Some are easy, some hard...
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    I would also wonder if some of them are held on by paint. I know some engines are painted with the filter in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Thanks

Remember the "cup check" in middle school baseball?

I prefer a cup-type filter wrench, myself, where applicable. Remember to ALWAYS wipe the mating surface of the tractor with a lint-free cloth. This is a good habit to get into because it will ensure that the filter's gasket has not stuck in place (many people forget to dbl check). And, ALWAYS lubricate the seal of your new filter with clean oil. If you forget to, your next filter change will not be forgotten as you wrestle with a chisel and hammer to remove what's left of the filer base.
    fdmars likes this.
    Just call me Jon, not Myasis Dragon (Hint: My a** is draggin') 2013 1025r FILB (Factory installed loader & Backhoe - 260 & H120), 60D mower w/electric over hydraulic (independent) lift, R4 tires, psrumor's seat springs, Kenny D's bolt-on hooks, bxpanded piranha tooth bar on a 49" bucket and a 61" bucket for snow and light material, County Line post hole digger, County Line landscape rake, counterfeit JD box scraper, homemade 4' x 8' farm wagon, Fimco 30 gallon 3ph sprayer.

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    09-02-2018 @ 09:17 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kimqi View Post
    Seems like this has been a problem for lots of people. Guess the factory mechanics are trained to worry more about liability than customer satisfaction - what a concept.

I'm doing a late first oil change. Only 75 hr in 3 years, but don't want to wait for 100 even though the oil is almost as clear as new. (On my previous tractor, the oil would be black a few hours after a change, even after 300 hours - loose rings?) I have some old Rotella T, which should help complete the break-in.

Now - how to remove the old filter? I have the kind of filter wrench that has a strip of spring steel and a self-locking handle about 8" long. Took the side panel off for access, and it's just possible to reach in with the loader bucket on the floor. There are two angles around the filter were I can get about a 2" swing on the wrench. But though pretty strong, I can't budge the filter.

Would it be easier with the engine hot? My previous experience is that heat swells o-rings, making removal harder - so I would loosen the filter slightly before warming the tractor for an oil change.

Any other tricks? Stick a small crowbar through the filter and twist on that? There doesn't seem to be room for a pipe wrench, and I have no other obvious tool choices here. Is there some kind of filter wrench that drops in on top and takes a 1/2" breaker bar? Will I have to pay for a dealer service this time?

Thanks for any help!
    On my current 2520, I couldnt get the oil filter off either on its first change. Called the dealer and they sent a guy out on a service call UNDER WARRANTY! He pretty much destroyed a strap type wrench but got it off.. No charge to me.. Ask to see if your dealer will do this or if you can take it in and have them remove it since its the original filter.

IMO they install them at the factory dry.. No oil on the seal.. Every oil, and canister type fuel filter is a bear to remove the original on all my Deeres that I bought new..

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast