Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Winter?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-20-2015 @ 02:53 PM
    Thanks

Winter?

Ok ,so winter is going to be here soon. This is my first tractor 1025r. The dealer told me nothing,except to change the oil every ten hours & fuel filter. Check trans & gear link oil. I am in michigan we had a bad winter last year.I plan on using it to plow my driveway. What do I need to do to prep it & what precations should I take?This is my first diesel . It is garage kept.Not heated but insulated really well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 05:22 AM
    Thanks
    I clean mine up after summer mowing & service them if it is time. I do not do much else different then I do in the summer.
    If I am going to use it to plow snow, I make sure that the snow equipment is ready to go.

The only things I can think of that I do different is to fill the fuel tank with winter grade fuel or add anti gel fuel additive to my tanks.
    Also let the tractor warm up before using it when it is cold out.
    Levi likes this.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,940 Times in 2,904 Posts
    A good winter diesel fuel additive is worth a serious look.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-15-2016 @ 06:05 AM
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by madarcher427 View Post
    Ok ,so winter is going to be here soon. This is my first tractor 1025r. The dealer told me nothing,except to change the oil every ten hours & fuel filter. Check trans & gear link oil. I am in michigan we had a bad winter last year.I plan on using it to plow my driveway. What do I need to do to prep it & what precations should I take?This is my first diesel . It is garage kept.Not heated but insulated really well.
    Mad,

First of all, DO NOT CHANGE THE ENGINE OIL EVERY 10 HOURS! The oil that came from the factory is break-in oil and you need to maintain break-in oil in that little diesel for the first 100 hours of operation. After 100 hours, drain the engine oil out, change the oil filter and refill with new oil per Deere's recommendations. Subsequent oil changes are due every 200 hours. Also consider changing the small fuel filter (the one under the floor) every 200 - 300 hours. The transmission oil should be drained and replaced after the first 50 hours of operation along with the transmission oil filter. Subsequent transmission oil changes are due every 200 hours.
    etcallhome and Levi like this.
    Larry

"Good advice often goes unrecognized until it's too late."

1026R tractor, H120 loader, 60D mid-mount mower, JDiMatch, RB2060L rear blade with hydraulic angling, JD ballast box, 40" hydraulic core aerator, 38" dethatcher, home-made duo screen and several JD hats.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    04-20-2015 @ 02:53 PM
    Thanks
    Thank you! when should I change the fuel filter . Does the fuel at the gas station have this additive or do I have to add it my self? How long should I let it warm up?

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    Mad,

First of all, DO NOT CHANGE THE ENGINE OIL EVERY 10 HOURS! The oil that came from the factory is break-in oil and you need to maintain break-in oil in that little diesel for the first 100 hours of operation. After 100 hours, drain the engine oil out, change the oil filter and refill with new oil per Deere's recommendations. Subsequent oil changes are due every 200 hours. Also consider changing the small fuel filter (the one under the floor) every 200 - 300 hours. The transmission oil should be drained and replaced after the first 50 hours of operation along with the transmission oil filter. Subsequent transmission oil changes are due every 200 hours.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    08-21-2019 @ 09:40 AM
    Thanks
    I've never heard of changing the oil every ten hours I see no reason to. I've kept mine in a similar garage attached to house, usually it stays above zero unless its really cold and its always started. One thing I did do is turn the key on till glow plug light went out, then off and back on, heat the glow plugs twice it would start quicker and smoother with a lot less smoke.

I put a block heater on the new tractor, probably not needed but thought it would save a little wear and tear on the engine. Plus it seemed like a bargain from JD at only 70 bucks or so.

It will sound like the pistons are swapping holes and fill the garage with smoke when really cold. Give it a few minutes to warm up. I tend to keep the power down a bit when I first start plowing give the engine and hydraulics a chance to get up to operating temperature.

As mentioned get an anti gel additive once things gel up you've got a mess. Once winter gets underway the diesel is blended for cold weather. Its usually marked on the pump what the gel point is. By being careful with the fuel and the anti gel additive I have never had one gel up.
    Levi likes this.
    New JD 2032R 72MMM H130 Loader Kens hooks Frontier box blade Frontier forks ballast box old stuff LX4 brush hog JD tiller and landscape rake fertilizer spreader and fimco sprayer speco phd

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by madarcher427 View Post
    Thank you! when should I change the fuel filter . Does the fuel at the gas station have this additive or do I have to add it my self? How long should I let it warm up?
    You have to buy the additive Power Service is one common brand sold at most auto stores. If your gonna change the filter do whiles its still nice out.

I just let it warm up a few mins till it starts running smooth, were not talking go have a cup of coffee while it warms up. I tend to keep the rpm down maybe 1500 to 1800 for the first 5 or 10 mins of plowing just to give hydrulics and engine a chance to warm up good.
    Levi likes this.
    New JD 2032R 72MMM H130 Loader Kens hooks Frontier box blade Frontier forks ballast box old stuff LX4 brush hog JD tiller and landscape rake fertilizer spreader and fimco sprayer speco phd

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Keep a spare filter on-hand just in case.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0642_1.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	33251
    Levi and FXDF 103 like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Keep a spare filter on-hand just in case.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0642_1.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	33251
    Gizmo2 are you getting cheap trying to burn water in these things.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wisconsindeere View Post
    Gizmo2 are you getting cheap trying to burn water in these things.
    I too thought a first it was water but it was paraffin wax (diesel fuel gelling).
    Keith

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast