Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Smoke on startup

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:04 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,454 Times in 1,579 Posts

Smoke on startup

Since going from the 26r to now 25r have noticed one thing.. When I had the 26r I could preheat for a couple of seconds ,none at all or still the light on the dash went off start the engine very ,very little smoke or sputtering . Tonight went to start tractor , first since this past Sat., left the glow light go off on the dash. Started right away like always, but man of day, it sputtered, hesitated, and smoked like crazy.
    After about 20-30 seconds ran fine .

So I'm wondering if it is because of the newer engine and the EPA regs ? I didn't think to ask the service manager today when I was talking with him.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,579 Posts
    What color smoke?
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    black or dark color and have always used off road , and always use some type treatment.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    Black should be fuel - mine smokes a little at start-up, but I've never noticed any kind of stumbling, etc.
    -Scott-

2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

You don't have to outrun the bear......just the other campers

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Hiya,

From your description it sounds like a combination of low cetane rating of the fuel, lower air temps now that fall is arriving and glow plugs that maybe were not warm enough. Most Diesels smoke a bit on startup. I know mine do, especially the big Cat's. All engines are slightly different, some start easier, some smoke less, some smoke more, some sound like cement mixers when they first start, some don't.

Here are 2 things to consider

1) Check your winter fuel additive to see if it contains a cetane additive, if so, follow the instructions to get the maximum cetane boost and see if that makes a difference with the rough running when it first starts.

2) Let your pre-heat cycle go a little longer. If it's a manual pre-heat like larger equipment, hold the button a little longer, if it's an automatic system, let it run one cycle, turn the key off and let it run another 1/2 to 1 cycle and then start it. The glow plugs will be hotter and that should cut down the smoke on starting. If the glowplugs are like the older Deere/Yanmars that they put the light on for 5 seconds but ran the glowplugs for a full 30 seconds even after the engine starts, simply wait for the light to go out, count to 5 or if it's really cold, 10 and then start. I would do that on my 330 and 430 and they would smoke a lot less when they started.

Keep in mind that a Diesel will "puff" black smoke on startup, this is normal for any non-electronic injection engine. (The new ones keep the injectors off, let the engine crank for a revolution or 2 to purge the cylinders and then turn on injectors in a staged order to minimize excess fuel and black soot on startup, this is why they seem to crank a long time as opposed to the old Diesels that would snap to life with just a nudge of the starter) If it's smoking greyish-white or blueish-white for a couple minutes, it's cold and its normal for that to happen. Gigantic plumes of white or grey smoke that smell odd are a good indicator of coolant getting in the cylinders and plumes of blue smoke are a sign that excess oil is entering. But I'm going to assume that what your seeing/describing is typical for your engine at startup and not a cause for concern if the smoke dissipates when the engine is at operating temp.

My 2 cents,

Tom
    Last edited by tomd999; 10-01-2014 at 07:56 PM.
    Levi likes this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tomd999 For This Useful Post:

arlen (10-01-2014)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks , I feel it is normal, just never noticed this much or the things I seeing on either the 2210. either 2305 or the 1026r. I do think on this last fillup I used a different conditioner , may go back to brand I have always used.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    My 1023E used to shoot a puff of black smoke at start-up just about every time. The motor ran just a bit rough at start-up too in the colder weather (30 degrees down to -10 degrees), but always started without the need of a block heater. I actually had a sooty residue on the loader stand (right below the exhaust pipe) after about 20 hours on the machine. I just traded for a 1025R, and I get pretty much the same shot of black smoke at start-up. Hopefully this new one is just as reliable as the 1023E was in the cold.

Simply put... Systems normal, all is good.
    Last edited by 5304; 10-01-2014 at 09:03 PM.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 07:38 AM
    Thanks
    Normal.
    2017 Ford F350, 6.7, DRW, 4x4.

1026R with block heater and Curtis Cab, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks combo, 54" Front Mount snow blower, 60" MMM, H-120 FEL, Ballast Box, 100Lbs wheel weights, BB2048, sprayer with 7' boom, Front Mount HeavyHitch, John Deere tow behind spreader, 260 Backhoe With BXPanded Thumbs, Bro-Tek 1.5" Spacers.

12. Top | #9
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,936 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Cold weather would make our 650 sound like a metal bucket of bolts and white smoke. Always ran fine after a short time and never a problem. The colder the weather the worse it was.
    Levi likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Found out this morning while I was at Fall Carlise the mechanic was stopping at the house to change a power steering hose for me. While talking with the shop foreman asked him if the mechanic could start the tractor and see if it was normal... Just walked in the door a few mins ago and have NO IDEA what he may have found out or if he was even here. I'm guessing either the mechanic left a note on tractor and I'm not walking down to shed to see ,but other wise guessing either it was OK or they ordered a part or he fixed it .... I will find out tomorrow after I go to the shed or call the dealer..
    DAH !!
    ColonyPark and Nebels deere like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast